Tn: 2009 Chateau Fontenil

Nicklasss

Tn: 2009 Chateau Fontenil

Post by Nicklasss »

Michel Rolland property in Fronsac.

Dark red, nice nose, blackberries, spices, licorice, moka, black prunes. Young nose, concentrated. Mouth is black, light ashes, blackberries, violet flowers. Grainy, tannic, good freshness for the 2009 vintage. The slightly austere soil mineral character is there too. Final with blackberries and dark 90% cocoa chocolate. Smooth, like it has been worked with micro-oxydation. Very nice. Tn: 90-91.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Tn: 2009 Chateau Fontenil

Post by Nicklasss »

Black cherries buried underneath. Not the most concentrated or long, but excellent. Why some think Mr. Rolland is making wrong wine? This is very Fronsac and very classic, fresh, elegant, clay cool soil Merlot, in a sunny vintage.

Nic
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the interesting note, Nic! How is it with the alcohol content?
I had a wonderful 2001 a few month ago. BTW, as far as I know, Michel Rolland’s wife Dany is responsible for Fontenil...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Rudi Finkler wrote:Thanks for the interesting note, Nic! How is it with the alcohol content?
I had a wonderful 2001 a few month ago. BTW, as far as I know, Michel Rolland’s wife Dany is responsible for Fontenil...
I've read that the Rollands have their primary residence at Fontenil as well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The 1990 lived a long time and was just super. I'm still seeing 05 and 09 on offer around here, but haven't picked up any. Did grab a 2012 though.

Rolland makes a lot of different kind of wines, but they all seem to have the feature of being concentrated, deep in flavor.