TN: 2002 Leoville Barton

Blanquito

TN: 2002 Leoville Barton

Post by Blanquito »

2002 Leoville Barton
Still youthful, but structurally open and ready to play. Classy, fruity, high-class new oak, mocha, iodine, savory. Well balanced and more on the medium-to-light bodied side of the spectrum. Delicious and refined with enough character and ripeness to be fun, but this will better in another 5+ years for my tastes. Not one for the ages, this will drink well before the 2000 and other tannic years.

I'm definitely coming around to these 2002L! I think I may not be alone around here thinking that. If these develop/improve a bit more in the cellar over the 5 years, then wow. Has to be the QPR vintage of the last 15 years.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 2002 Leoville Barton

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I think I have one or two of these. I must have tried one off the boat but will have to refresh my recollection before commenting further.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the update Patrick. Leoville Barton 2002 just oozes class doesn't it?

I agree with your drinking assessment having drunk through nearly a whole case of halves, and with a case of bottles waiting in the wings.

It is classic Leoville Barton next to the more voluptuous and forward, but equally good in a different way, 2001. The 2004 is also a beauty.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmm I have a whole unopened case in the cellar.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Have you tried an 02 L-B yet, Jim? I'd pop one soon if I had a case, you might prefer it sooner than later.

I was impressed by the drinkability of this, and as Ian says, it's effortless classiness.
AKR

Post by AKR »

When do you think large formats will peak?
marcs

Post by marcs »

Had a 2002 Lynch Bages the other night and it was gorgeous -- unmistakably Bordeaux from the first sniff to the last drop. Cassis, pencil lead, and that indefinable savory quality. Not a ton of midpalate depth, not a knock you out kind of wine, but poised and elegant, loved it. Still had some fresh youthful fruit combined with savory complexity, very good time to drink for my taste.

So another data point for 2002L being very good, but they are no longer the bargain they once were -- this guy goes for over $100 on the secondary market now. In other words, it's more expensive than the 2002 first growths were in pre-arrival!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote:When do you think large formats will peak?
I think you prefer your claret younger than I, but en magnum I'd wait at least five years on the 02 LB. I suspect it will have a good 5-10 years of peak drinking starting 2020, but I am always surprised how youthful magnums show (and I rarely drink them) compared to 750s. Definitely no shame in opening a 750 now.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

My guess is that the 2002 will drink well for quite a considerable time. Today I tasted the 1978, 1986 and 2005 at a local merchant called the Sampler, a five minute walk up from the street I live on. The 1978 was still lively, interesting and pleasurably with multiple nuances of leather, church pew and mouse droppings. I think the 2002 is a better made wine, so doing the math it should still be going strong in 2038.

The 1986 was still a brawny beast, I think it needs more time to iron out its rough edges, but I really liked it. I think the 2001/2/4 are better wines than the 78/86. The 2005 needs eons. It shows how efficient markets are: the price premium for 2005 over 2004 is surprisingly little. At least here it is.

For some reason the system cuts off the right of the picture: to the right is a 2005 L-B that you can't see.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm nervous about cracking open the case because once I drink one I generally can't stop myself.
I love Leoville Barton, it is one of my favorite properties.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tonight Lucie and I drank a 1996 Leoville Barton with hangar steak. The bad news is that this was the penultimate bottle in a case. The good news is that I bought two cases of this wine. It is very classic and meets our test for a great wine--we wanted to open a second bottle. This is not a wine that would stand out at a tasting, but its perfect balance and structure and long finish makes it great with food. Lucie 92. stefan 93.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I see the mouse ate the label paste before adding his droppings. Repurposing at its finest.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Barton, imho,never really stands out in mass tastings. Always seem to score it 91 or 92 max when compared to others, because it is not shouting, extravert and meant to be compared. On its own, Barton merits higher scores for the ultimate class and pleasure it brings. Recently received my sixpack of 2011's. Look forward to tasting them in a decade or so.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hound - 'mouse droppings' like 'cat's pee' should not necessarily carry negative connotations, whereas 'mousey' which is more akin to 'musty' does, while 'cat box' certainly does. Mouse droppings complements the 'pewiness'- if you have ever knelt in a 12th century English church you will know what I mean and you can tell if the mouse has been there.

Stefan - like you I purchased two cases of the 1996. I only took my first case out last year and having consumed three bottles I think i may have been a bit early. The 1996 has more power and density than the 2002, but I think the 2002 is the better wine to drink now.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ian, my '96 L-B was likely stored at a higher temperature than yours as befits my age. I am thinking of moving my other case to my coldest storage. I dunno why I did not buy the '02.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I bought the 02 L-B for $36/each... on the shelf at retail! I purchased 6 bottles, even thinking that was a bit excessive. I'd likely go for 2 cases today at that price. Oh, the silliness of youth!