2006 Bordeaux 10 years after

jckba

2006 Bordeaux 10 years after

Post by jckba »

So I found the below article on winesearcher this morning and it got me thinking, how many of you have dipped your toes in and started drinking your 2006 Bordeaux's and if so, your thoughts provided that you don't mind sharing?

http://m.wine-searcher.com/m/2016/02/10 ... deaux-2006
JimHow

Re: 2006 Bordeaux 10 years after

Post by JimHow »

I've always been a fan of 2006, at least on the left bank.
"Charming" and "light on its feet."
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the heads up JCBA.

What these notes reveal are two things IMO.

- what an incredible bargain bordeaux is in a non trophy vintage - apart from freaks of nature like 2013 there is no such thing as a bad Bordeaux vintage

- and the second point is...err...I can't remember...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Thanks for the heads up JCBA.

What these notes reveal are two things IMO.

- what an incredible bargain bordeaux is in a non trophy vintage - apart from freaks of nature like 2013 there is no such thing as a bad Bordeaux vintage

- and the second point is...err...I can't remember...
Didn't you mean to forget your third point...oops?
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Enjoyed 2006 d'issan, creamy, but nice dusty earth and leather....dufort vivens was giving up zilch.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm not sure I have any, and missed tasting them on release.

Sounds like a decent / solid year.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I have a couple-six of bottles each of LaP, Lagrange, SHL, DDC and Tour de Mons. The LaP was nice but a little light, the Lagrange easy and enjoyable, the SHL tasted like every SHL I'd seen described in print, the DdC was a lunker and the Tour de Mons a firm and correct wine. I can't recall anything particularly negative or off-putting about any of them. Probably the next couple of years will begin prime time for some of these.
Last edited by AlohaArtakaHoundsong on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2006 Haut Bailly is splendid but, then again, when is Haut Bailly not splendid?
2006 Burgundies seem to be nice too.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:I have a couple-six of bottles each of LaP, Lagrange, SHL, DDC and Tour de Mons. The LaP was nice but a little light, the Lagrange easy and enjoyable, the SHL tasted like every SHL I'd seen described in print, the DdC was a lunker and the Tour de Mons a firm and correct wine. I can't recall anything particularly negative or off-putting about any of them. Probably the next couple of years will begin prime time for some of these.
What is LaP? latour a pomerol?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:when is Haut Bailly not splendid?
I like Haut Bailly a lot. Always gives me a bit of the shivers when I drink it. Years ago, I had put in a pretty large Bordeaux futures order at Macarthur's. Soon after I get a call from Bruce Bassin, the owner, whom I'd never met or spoken to before, saying "Hey, I just saw your order. You know, given the stuff you seem to like, I think you would love Haut Bailly, it's really in the same league and a great deal." We had a nice talk about Bordeaux and wine in general. I ordered a 6-pack (a lot for me) and hung up thinking he would be a fun guy to get to know. A few days later I heard the news that he'd died of a heart attack. I am always reminded of that when I open a bottle of Haut Bailly.
AKR

Post by AKR »

DavidG wrote:
JimHow wrote:when is Haut Bailly not splendid?
I like Haut Bailly a lot. Always gives me a bit of the shivers when I drink it. Years ago, I had put in a pretty large Bordeaux futures order at Macarthur's. Soon after I get a call from Bruce Bassin, the owner, whom I'd never met or spoken to before, saying "Hey, I just saw your order. You know, given the stuff you seem to like, I think you would love Haut Bailly, it's really in the same league and a great deal." We had a nice talk about Bordeaux and wine in general. I ordered a 6-pack (a lot for me) and hung up thinking he would be a fun guy to get to know. A few days later I heard the news that he'd died of a heart attack. I am always reminded of that when I open a bottle of Haut Bailly.
Do they still do the charity event for the AHA in honor of him?

I was poking around their web site the other day.

I'm not sure there is anyone with a bigger/better Rhone selection.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Agreed.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I bought Haut-Bailly 2006, based on its performance EP. I also bought Batailley and Dufort Vivens, and have a few bottles of Figeac still in the US. But that's it. Batailley was surprisingly very impressive EP.

I liked the write up. I heard elsewhere that Mouton was exceptional. What really got my juices flowing though was the write up on LLC. That was second point Patrick before I had a senior moment.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

I get invited to their AHA Napa barrel tasting every year. I don't know why but that's the event, Heart's Delight or something like that.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yup, the annual AHA event organized in his memory has gone from strength to strength.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

LaP = Latour a Pomerol.

OK, 10 years retrospective of 2006. More interesting of course will be the 20 year retrospective on 1996. Most good wines should be getting to their wheelhouses at two decades.