TN: 98 La Couspaude [St Emilion]

AKR

TN: 98 La Couspaude [St Emilion]

Post by AKR »

98 La Couspaude [St Emilion] Double decanted, not much sediment anyways, served coolish. Despite the garagiste and oak reputation, this is only 12.5% abv, and is medium bodied and balanced. We had it with pork pinwheels* and polenta, and that was a better than expected pairing. If one didn't know anything about the wine/estate, I think, at this age that its showing some similarities in the bouquet to traditional mature St Emilions like Figeac, Soutard, etc. Color is lighter with edges showing maturity. Nose has an evolved bouquet already -- menthol, tobacco, with sour cherries and coffee on the palate. The SO likes it a lot and consumes the larger share of the bottle. (I'd been sneaking a little Cotes du Rhone while cooking) Having saved this bottle since release, I enjoyed it, but had expected more. This small production wine wasn't particularly distinctive, but many wines of high quality are like that. It does have an impressive nose, perhaps due to the big slug of cab franc. I should have simply drunk it younger; as Alex R sometimes suggests, I think most BDX should generally be consumed between age 10-15, and its the unusual/exceptional estates and vintages that blossom with multi decade patience. On the last sip I pick up some meaty sweet sausage flavors. But the tannin/acid balance holds all the way through the evening. It's a B+ (barely) for me, but heading downhill, and I'd suggest owners drink up.

* butterfly a port roast and stuff it with spinach, cheese, prosciutto; tie it and then slice into pinwheels. sear on iron griddle, finish in the oven. I had the butcher do the hard parts!

PS: Nicklass you made me pull a St Emilion with your note!
JimHow

Re: TN: 98 La Couspaude [St Emilion]

Post by JimHow »

I think most BDX should generally be consumed between age 10-15
Amen my brother. I recall enjoying that wine in its younger days, even if not unusually profound.
Nicklasss

Re: TN: 98 La Couspaude [St Emilion]

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the comment Arv. Chateau La Couspaude latest vintages are expensive here (85-88 $), nothing to help the buying.
Saint-Émilion is always kind of tricky. It has some similarities with Chateauneuf-du-Pape: a big aoc, with all kind of different wines. Some more concentrated, some more oak, some more mineral and some more old style. But in average, both aoc rarely deceive but are pricey.

Nic