Gosh Scalia's dead.

William P

Gosh Scalia's dead.

Post by William P »

Well Justice Scalia died today. A great improvisationalist. The repub version of Brennan. Rest in pieces.
JimHow

Re: Gosh Scalia's dead.

Post by JimHow »

An ugly political season just got uglier!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

All hells gonna break lose. I bet Rubio won't be absent when the senate votes on obama's nominee!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If the Republicans are smart they'll consent to a moderate Obama nominee The Dems could regain the senate this year and if Hillary wins they'll really be sorry! You're gonna see a resumption of the debate on the filibuster "nuclear option." We are in for some ugly times in the year ahead! This is going to be a battle of generational consequences.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jesus, the body is still warm and these Washington scoundrels are already fighting. God they are vile, both sides. Brace yourselves for the political battle of the century! Oh man this is going to be wild.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

RIP

Can't help myself... A Texas hunting resort? Was Dick Cheney invited?

And yes, this will be ugly, with big implications for the election. I'll say this is one of those "I wasn't expecting that!" events I referred to in the Trump thread.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

For all his sarcasm and divisiveness on the bench he was quite a nice man in person.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

There was a great documentary about him on CNN a couple years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it7sN2jqpNs

Great friendship with Ginsburg and her husband. From a criminal defense lawyer's perspective he was a great defender of the Confrontation Clause.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The Daily Show made a lot of hay pointing out Scalia's profound double standard, but it was telling to me how fond of him the Daily Show folks seemed to be of him personally.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

JimHow wrote:Great friendship with Ginsburg and her husband.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:For all his sarcasm and divisiveness on the bench he was quite a nice man in person.
Blanquito wrote:The Daily Show made a lot of hay pointing out Scalia's profound double standard, but it was telling to me how fond of him the Daily Show folks seemed to be of him personally.
I did my first year of law school at The University of Chicago in the early eighties and had Scalia for contracts. While I disagreed with him philosophically and politically on most things, he was indeed a very warm, personable guy. Easy and comfortable to talk to during office hours. He had a great sense of humor, albeit sometimes a bit corny and old-fashioned. He was a very interesting, memorable character and I liked him on a personal level.

He reminded us early and often of how he approached the law. One of the first few days of class in contracts, a fellow student offered a long-winded philosophical answer to a question Scalia had posed. Scalia waited somewhat impatiently for the student to finish, and then in booming voice from the front of the room responded, "Mr. So and So. I wasn't looking for a policy answer; this isn't Yale law school!! (spitting out "policy" and "Yale" as if they were dirty words)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the anecdote Pom, very interesting indeed.