Dal, Dalla, Yquem and The Instigators, in Charlotte

Nicklasss

Dal, Dalla, Yquem and The Instigators, in Charlotte

Post by Nicklasss »

Dinner ar RDD's place, and it was great fun. As we were going out to see The Instigators (RDD's band) play later, Rob invite Mike, his guitar player, to have dinner with us. After the tour of the property, we started with some 2005 Dom Pérignon, that was an extremely good Champagne. A super yeasty breadcrust character, some apple, lemon, flowers, full of very fine bubbles. In mouth, serious, has a great body, butter, bread, lemon, also some mineral and medium acidity. I even got some light white peaches. A superb young Champagne. A super yeasty breadcrust character, some apple, lemon, flowers, full of very fine bubbles. In mouth, serious, has a great body, butter, bread, lemon, also some mineral and medium acidity. I even got some light white peaches. A superb young Champagne, that I think is better than 2003 and 2004 versions. Tn: 95.

After the Bubbles warmed us up, we enjoyed the 2008 Dal Forno Romano Amarone, while Rob and Mike were playing some grassy blues and the patio.when I smelled and tasted the Dal Forno, I almost thought immediately to Yquem, as the wine is so precise in it's aromas, taste, and perfectly balanced, even if 16.5 % alcohol. Dark wine, with a nose of Christmas cake, gingerbread, chocolate, red cherries, figs and light molasse. Strong nose, that makes you scared of what can be the mouth. The mouth start strong, with spicy cherries, dark red berries, milky chocolate, dattes. No heaviness at all, good tannins, and very long. I did not tried a lot of Amarone, but this one is the best I had. Tn: 96. I also played a little bit of guitar on the patio, but stopped when I saw Mike and Rob ears bleeding!

Next, with grilled aged Angus porterhouse steak, sides and cheese, we had the 1994 Dalla Valle Cabernet Sauvignon. This was a still rich Cabernet from California, but not over the top. First nose of creamy dark red berries, rasberries, cinnamon, dry tobacco leaves. In mouth, rich fruit, almost lightly sweet, with some spices and vanilla from the oak. This one had 9% cab franc, 91% cab sauvignon, and you could simply tasted both of them like if there was more cab franc. Rasberries, dark red berries, spices, with still having medium tannins, a long perfumed fruity tobacco finish. A very Californian style, but very well made. Tn: 94-95. My 1987 Dunn Vineyard Napa Cabernet Sauvignon followed up. Still dark, with a nose of blueberries, purple grape, smoke, blackcurrants. Mouth was more delicate, with also more minerality. I thought the mouth was less complex than the nose, but still having lot of blue fruit character, stony finish. Very enjoyable 28 years old Napa wine. Tn: 91-92.

Than, we finished with the 2011 Chateau d'Yquem. The previous night, the 1997 let us down a bit. This 2011 is a magical Yquem, yellow color, but with sweet super complexity on the nose (apricots, quince, acacia, honey, oak, roasted botrytis, peaches, confit lemon, vanilla) and a perfect balance in mouth. I would say mindboggling. Mouth is that perfect mixture of sweet vanilla honey, with ripe apricots, flowers, peaches, tangerines, with a etheral thick very long finish. That bottle reconfirmed to me that Yquem is the wine I would like to share with everyone, to taste it's greatness. Tn: 96-97. I know, it a high rating for such a young wine, but I can't put a lower mark. And it will get even better with 10-15 years...

We head out to the Blue Note restaurant/bar, to watch and listen The Instigators. It was a great time. I just been amazed by the place's music sound, that delivers all the credits of the talented professional Instigators. It was a superb blues music performance, with lot of energy. I have appreciate Rob's performance, in the difficulty of the moment. Chatting with the band members at the breaks was fine too. All in all, 48 magic hours in Charlotte, with some of my best BWE friends, that I will remember forever.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Dal, Dalla, Yquem and The Instigators, in Charlotte

Post by Nicklasss »

Of course, my greatest thanks to Rob, Susan and Claire for receiving us. But in these BWE gathering, we would need 30 hours a day. With only 24, the nights suffer and become very short.

And thanks to Robert, who drove me back at the hotel last night, and after was heading for 3 more hours on the road.

And thanks to Jim and Xia, who rolled 1500 miles to pick me up in Nashville, and brought me to Charlotte. Hope you're having good time going back to New-York today!

When you think about it, all friendly excessive people!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We're at the Pink Cadillac Diner a little north of Roanoke, I have a video of Rob and Mike performing on the back deck, absolutely classic. I'll post it on YouTube.

We hope all is well, Rob, we'll check in when we get home.
RDD

Post by RDD »

On the back porch we are just screwing around.
My brother is in very serious condition.
Woman mowed four of them down.
http://www.wral.com/four-pedestrians-st ... /15398255/
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Really sorry to hear about that Rob.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Tragic after what sounds like a fabulous weekend Rob. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Danny
Danny
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Don't know what to say...
AKR

Post by AKR »

I hope they pull through Rob.

Even with the bike lanes in our city, I've never felt great/safe riding around.

People are meddling with their phones and its easy for them to smack a cyclist.

Maybe 25 years ago a guy smashed into me while I was biking to school in Boston.

Right of way didn't matter much versus a big car. The guy fled the scene too.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Rob,

Never a good time for such terrible news but so jarring coming right after having such good feelings about you and Jim and Nic sharing good times together. My thoughts and prayers are with your brother and your family and you. Wishing for a full recovery.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Just got the word Mike is moving his left side some this morning and responding to requests to squeeze his right hand and wiggle his right toes. All his level are stable . You can't keep a good man down. The prayers are working . KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RDD

Post by RDD »

AKR wrote:I hope they pull through Rob.

Even with the bike lanes in our city, I've never felt great/safe riding around.

People are meddling with their phones and its easy for them to smack a cyclist.

Maybe 25 years ago a guy smashed into me while I was biking to school in Boston.

Right of way didn't matter much versus a big car. The guy fled the scene too.
There's a world of difference between you riding your bike around the block and a world class cyclist.
My brother is an accomplished Randonnuer. It is the oldest form of organized cycling in the world.
Paris Brest Paris gave birth to the Tour De France. Mike has completed PBP four times.
He's completed Boston Montreal Boston multiple times. Once with a broken hand.
He's ridden London Edinburgh London multiple times.
He's ridden the Pyrenees.
He's ridden the Alps.

My brothers Tim, Mike and I have ridden since 1970. We have encountered all sorts of abuse, insults and condescending lectures our whole life.
I could go down the list.
Yea at times it can be dangerous. Especially when some dummy mows down four riders that obeyed every law and are the safest, kindest and fastest riders I have ever had the privilege to touch wheels with. Combined they had about 250,000 miles under their pedals.
It can also be sublimely beautiful and rewarding.
Like when a group rides the last kilometer of the 1200 of Paris Brest Paris and and finish together at 89:59 to honor a fallen rider (ALS) whose goal was to enjoy every second and not race thru the event.
Or finishing the Assault On Mt Mitchel in a dizzy haze and looking out over the Blue Ridge from the top of the world.
I thought it was a spectacular achievement. My brother, Mike, set me straight, and said it was a nice pleasant ride.

Life is dangerous.
You can get hit by lighting.
Get run down in a cross walk.
Cancer.
Pneumonia.
Infections.
A good friend had a heart attack on his couch the other week. He was a wonderful musician and only 45.

We Daytons choose live life to fullest.
We are not going to live in a bubble and say that might be dangerous.
Otherwise I'd never get the pleasure of being 100+ miles offshore in 10 foot seas fighting a 100 lbs Wahoo.
The Wahoo lost.

But that is surely not as dangerous as getting shot at when bringing a girl home too late.

C'est la Vie......
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My thoughts are with your brother and fellow riders. I got into road biking in a big way in 2009 with my wife and this sort of situation always was in the back of my mind. Just terrible.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is really awful about your brother, Rob. It is a great sign that he shows improvement. Take care.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

We're glad to hear that your brother is improving, Rob, and we'll keep you both in our thoughts.

Gail and Tom
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2011 d'Yquem is dramatically better than the 1997 d'Yquem. The '97 is heavy, rich, thick, and viscous and seems to have everything in place, but it lacks personality and d'Yquem magic. The 2011, as it was in France, was superb. Fresh, lighter colored, incredibly complexity, almost deceptively great because it is so classy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That 2008 Dal Forno Romano Amarone was spectacular with the porterhouses, so much so that I just bought a bottle on sale from Zachy's.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Was shocked to read about your brother And his riding pals Rob, wishing them speedy and full recovery.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

(Two of) The Instigators…

That's Rob "Pavie Macquin" Dayton on the harp….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5OdWz_uPnI