Gilman?

AKR

Gilman?

Post by AKR »

How many of you are subscribing to Gilman's newsletter? I've seen a few copies over the years and they seem decent.
Blanquito

Re: Gilman?

Post by Blanquito »

I'm not a subscriber (I ended all my subscriptions to help slowing buying), but I am fan of his writing and overall I find him a very valuable point of view. He's got a better track record with my palate steering me clear of wines I won't like than recommending new wines that I will love (I already know which chateau I like in Bordeaux unless the style has changed recently), but that's still a valuable service. Nice guy too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just like never read my Wine Advocate any more, I think this will be the year I truly let go of my subscription.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I let my Wine Advocate go last year when it came up for renewal. The only thing I get now is Burghound, but I may let that go when it next comes due.
jal

Post by jal »

I used to subscribe but I have no subscriptions to any wine reviewers right now. Gilman is great, very opinionated and if he likes something you can be sure it's great. Problem is he sometimes hates wines that I actually enjoy.
He will send you a free a copy of his latest issue so you can decide for yourself.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A lot of what Gilman writes resonates with me, but at the same time he somehow seems to try too hard to be the anti-Parker. But more often than not I am on the same page.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Comte Flaneur wrote:A lot of what Gilman writes resonates with me, but at the same time he somehow seems to try too hard to be the anti-Parker. But more often than not I am on the same page.
Here's an earlier thread on Gilman:

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... man#p40936
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for digging that one out Pom, it was fun to re-read.

Bit of controversy, locking of horns
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yes, thanks for pulling that thread up.

I should have run a search before.

I do agree that picture of Gilman is a cruel one.