What 2013 California wines are BWE'ers laying down?

AKR

What 2013 California wines are BWE'ers laying down?

Post by AKR »

Just curious as to what Napa/Sonoma (or other California) wines people are laying down in 2013?

I've had a few recently, and liked them.

Not buying as broad/deep as I might have in another era.

But feel like I would rather have these in the cellar than 2011-2014 Bordeaux.

Sure that's a broad generalization, but I'm not being absolutist about it.

Kind of wish I'd been paying more attention when the 2012's were more plentiful.

CA Cabernet pricing especially in the glamour counties is insane though.
dstgolf

Re: What 2013 California wines are BWE'ers laying down?

Post by dstgolf »

AKR,

I think that your last sentence summed it up...."CA Cabernet pricing especially in the glamour counties is insane though".

I haven't bought virtually any Californian wines in several years. My buying now has slowed to a near stall but virtually limited to Bordeaux/ Burgundy and Spain with a smattering of Italian Chianti/Brunello. If something interesting comes available or there's a great recommendation only if the price is right will I bite. My cellar is more than amply stocked into my twilight. I feel Cali Cabs have priced themselves out of my market and the qpr is no longer there.

Danny
Danny
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Bupkis. Any $$ I spend outside Bordeaux will go to New Zealand wines.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Rhys Chard, PN and Syrah albeit less than a full case in total. Arv and Bill if you want anything from the summer Rhys offering let me know.

If you like OR PN in a higher acid leaner style then 13 is the buying opportunity now.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

The only CA wines I buy in any quantity are Ridge Zins. The Cabs I like are overpriced in comparison to the Bordeaux I like, and that says a lot.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:The only CA wines I buy in any quantity are Ridge Zins. The Cabs I like are overpriced in comparison to the Bordeaux I like, and that says a lot.
This. I love, love Ridge Geyserville in 2013. Quite understated by Zinfandel standards but with lots of sneaky depth and future longevity. I plan to look for the Ridge Estate Cab when it comes out, I'll buy if priced $40-$45. I like ESJ Rocks and Gravel in 2013, but the style ain't for everybody. I'd nibble at Sonoma Coast stuff -- usually Syrah, Pinot, Chardonnay from producers like Wind Gap, Arnot Roberts -- if priced like previous vintages.
DavidG

Re: What 2013 California wines are BWE'ers laying dow

Post by DavidG »

I'm in synch with many here with respect to Ridge. Geyserville and Monte Bello are the two I plan to age. The Monte Bello is not overpriced to my palate/wallet if purchased as a future. The 2013 was $98 in the spring of 2014, and will arrive this spring.

The rest of my California purchases scratch a completely different itch than Bordeaux. For those times when I want a lush, ripe extrovert of a wine, the SQN lineup. And for the first time I'll also be trying some of the Bevan Cellars offerings.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I should add that 2013 is the birth year of my son, and so I have a four pack of the Ridge Monte Bello 2013 coming. I bought it in Feb 2014 well before any vintage hype, to have something to laid down for him.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Is 2013 supposed to be a good year in CA?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

'Northern California’s 2013 vintage may be a “game-changer” in terms of the consistency, depth of quality and across-the-board excellence, according to critic Robert Parker.

In his recent vintage profile on northern California, Parker stated that “2013 may turn out to be the finest vintage I have experienced in tasting north coast varietals over the last 37 years”.

Parker adds that the 2012 was also a great vintage for nearly every varietal in the region, while 2014 “is certainly an excellent vintage, probably as good as a superlative vintage like 2005. Its only sin is that it happens to have followed two even greater vintages – the 2012 and 2013.”

In his report, Parker examines the growing and harvesting conditions for the 2012-2014 vintages, noting that while 2012 was a vintage of relatively abundant yields and an incredible growing season, 2013 was in fact a drought year, and yet it yielded large crop sizes while the “consistency in quality, depth of flavour, texture, freshness, vibrancy and richness was absolutely mind-boggling”.

He added: “This could turn out to be one of the most epic and awesome vintages the north coast of California has ever produced.” '
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I generally do not drink CA wines barring a few. I find them overripe and I do not prefer high alcoholic esp north of 14. I prefrer cooler vintages. Generally wines from Santa cruz seem to less alcoholic due to I think it is cooler.

From santa cruz I love ridge, kathryn kennedy, ahlgren, thunder mountain, etc. From napa area, I generally get dunn, st supery, viansa, regusci and a bordeaux blend from clos du val.

Having said that I didn't buy much from 2012 and 2013. Those two vintages are supposedly best vintages atleast in the past decade or more. Since 2012 is my son's birth year, I got Couple of bottles each of Opus One, Dunn HM (wonder it could very well be for grandkids rather by the time they come around) and will buy Ridge Montebello. As of now, no plans to buy any 2013..
AKR

Post by AKR »

Good comments everyone - thanks for sharing.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I bought some 13 Chappellet signature to cellar. I bought some of the 13 Mountain cuvee to drink-not bad but should improve. Also some Clos du Val which is good but not outstanding but, again, needs some time. Oh yes, 13 Ridge Lytton and Geyserville. The Geyserville is almost too good right but I know will improve as all Ridge does.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:Bupkis. Any $$ I spend outside Bordeaux will go to New Zealand wines.
I had a lovely 2007 Mt. Edwards PN the other night.

It was fresher than the RRV / Sonoma Pinots I normally choose for my infrequent adventures with the grape.

The SO found it a touch too tangy, but she also didn't like the lemony, fire roasted cherry tomato pasta stuff I'd made.

Kind of torn between something older from CA or BDX tonite.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I just had my first Mount Eden cabernet, from 2005, and I was very impressed. Quite French in style, but open and precious for a 10 year old. I'd be all over it for ~$50, but prices are now closer to $100. Sigh.

I guess I don't really need more wine so perhaps this is a good thing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Count me in for few Monte Bello, as 2013 is my last gaugther/kid Béatrice birthyear.

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AKR wrote:
AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:Bupkis. Any $$ I spend outside Bordeaux will go to New Zealand wines.
I had a lovely 2007 Mt. Edwards PN the other night.

It was fresher than the RRV / Sonoma Pinots I normally choose for my infrequent adventures with the grape.

The SO found it a touch too tangy, but she also didn't like the lemony, fire roasted cherry tomato pasta stuff I'd made.

Kind of torn between something older from CA or BDX tonite.
Should have made Mutter Paneer, if you can... :lol: :lol:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What is the word on the 2013 Ridge Lytton Springs?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Haven't tasted it but it's well regarded, a bit more grip than Geyserville.

LS could last longer than G.

Bought the latter, where it can still be found on supermarket shelves, where I live.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Some long time Ridge watchers claim the 2014 Geyserville is even better than the 2013. If true, it must be the 2014 must be a truly epic Geyserville.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Hmm, interesting. It's about the only zin like thing I buy.

Still I'd rather have 2013, and a few 2012's of the typical Napa/Sonoma varietals.

2014 was a very hot year in Northern California.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think that was the 2012 Ridge Geyserville we got at MacArthur's in the spring. Those were tasty.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Opinions vary, and Lytton Springs can be outstanding, but personally I much prefer Geyserville. I find it notably brighter, more complex, more brambly, seems to age better, it's lighter weight and yet can have better intensity, etc.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I'll second the preference for Geyserville. I liked Lytton Springs better back when it was made by Lytton Springs Winery.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've not tasted many L-S vs. G side by side, but also tend to lean toward Geyserville.

We were just sort of by there a few weeks ago, but didn't have time to swing by.

Took the insane back road back way to highway 80, I think on the backside of Pritchard Hill.

That was dumb.

=====

I've added a few mass production producers to the box to set aside: Beringer KV, Coppola DC, BV GdL & Rutherford, Sebastiani 'sonoma', CsJ 'sonoma', and a couple of others I can't remember. It's kind of a bummer that Mondavi seems to have slipped a touch. I quite liked their 97, 01 and many other years for the Napa bottling which was good wine, and great value.
jal

Post by jal »

AKR wrote: I've added a few mass production producers to the box to set aside: Beringer KV, Coppola DC, BV GdL & Rutherford, Sebastiani 'sonoma', CsJ 'sonoma', and a couple of others I can't remember. It's kind of a bummer that Mondavi seems to have slipped a touch. I quite liked their 97, 01 and many other years for the Napa bottling which was good wine, and great value.
Jill and I had a bottle of the 2013 Beringer KV a month ago at Wolfgang's in Miami, one of the only (relative) bargains on the list. It was just ok to be honest. I thought, even though a tad monolithic, it had enough structure and acidity to accompany the steak but Jill found it too ripe and syrupy.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yeah, I had the 2012 a year ago and passed on that. I assume the 13 will probably be about the same, maybe a decade or so will debur its coarseness. It's getting blown out all over the West Coast, btw.

We had an 07 Alluvium (their attempt at a St Em) a month or so ago, and that had rounded out ok.

Beringer is a bit commercial/mass market now, but I haven't tried all their single vineyard stuff.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Treasury Wine Estates, owner of a bunch of Napa brands, is doing a free shipping, cases only, blowout sale. They include mixed cases (of their choice) in the offering. Prices are good, better than Costco (where these are being heavily pushed) but do include good vintages like 2012 and 2013. I realize that some do not care for mass market, supermarket/hypermarket availability Cabs, but some of the 2013's are good enough to cellar for personal consumption. The names below are not going to go up in value; think of them like sturdy large production Medocs in a great vintage, these are the Talbots and Meyney's of Napa.

The website is http://www.treasurywineevent.com/be?ord ... startrow=1

But vexatiously, they require one to register to look at the prices. I cannot determine what the deal is with sales tax. There is lots and lots of other stuff, but the rest is mostly supermarket stuff (except for the Etude and Grange), and 2013 North Coast Bdx Blends is the only thing I would care about personally.

========

Beringer Cabernet Collection
Beringer Cabernet Selection mixed case represents Napa's most highly sought after Cabernets, highlighting the distinguished Beringer Vineyards reserve collection. The diversity of microclimates, terroir and locations truly comprise the best of what Napa Valley has to offer. Enjoy 4 bottles each of 2012 Private Reserve Cab Sauvignon, 2013 Knights Valley Cab Sauvignon, and 2013 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
sku 4850209
retail $1,004.00
Sale Price $480.00 / Case | Save $524.00 (52%)

Best of Beaulieu
For 115 years, Beaulieu Vineyard has been setting the standard for rich, classic Napa Valley wines. One of the oldest continually operating wineries in Napa Valley, Beaulieu Vineyard was founded in 1900 by the visionary Frenchman Georges de Latour to make world class wines to rival France. This extraordinary case includes three bottles each award winning red wines from BV - Georges De Latour Private Reserve Cabernet, Tapestry Reserve, Rutherford Cabernet, and Napa Valley Cabernet.
sku 4850211
retail $870.00
Sale Price $429.00 / Case

NB: for the item above, I don't see the vintages specified, although the web site has full cases of all the subcomponents, and those are from the 2013 vintage except for BV Napa CS which is 2014. That might require a call to confirm, because it would be lame to get shipped 2011's.

Beringer Distinction Series
Beringer Destinction Series are delicious wines from amazing vineyards. It’s a chance to sample these beauties at a great price and also makes a fantastic gift for wine lovers amongst your family and friends (if you can keep your hands off them). How can you resist? This mixed case includes 4 bottles each: 2012 Quantum Napa Valley Red, 2014 Oak Knoll Chardonnay, and 2013 Knights Valley Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.
sku 4850206
retail $736.00
Sale Price $310.00 / Case | Save $426.00 (58%)

(They don't make much of the KV Rsv level, surprised to see it being thrown overboard. Quantum is their replacement for Alluvium, and is sort of like BV Tapestry -- their attempt at Bordeaux/Meritage)

2013 Beaulieu Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Rutherford
Our 2013 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon reflects the superb vintage with its deep, saturated blackberry, black cherry and ripe plum aromas and plush, saturated flavors. Hints of violet, toast and mocha add complexity. “I especially like the pronounced dark-fruit expression in this vintage,” says Winemaker Domenica Totty. “For the second year, Napa Valley experienced abundant sunshine—tempered by just the right amount of nightly fog—that ripened the grapes slowly and fully, followed by an easy, unrushed harvest with no threat of rain. In tasting our final blend, I find the ample, mature tannins provide supple structure and rich texture for the mouthfilling flavors. Nicely integrated toasty oak nuances add a little spiciness to the aromas and lingering finish. The growing season gave us a big, generous Napa Valley Cab that’s approachable and delicious now, yet promises cellar worthiness.”
sku 691452
retail $504.00
Sale Price $252.00 / Case | Save $252.00 (50%)

(I've had this, and think it'll be a 20-30 year wine. Bought more after trying it)
jckba

Post by jckba »

Brought home a case of the 2013 Forman Cabernet Sauvignon as that is a wine that I have previously enjoyed and it's pricing is not completely out of touch with what's in the bottle.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Blanquito - I too love the wines from Mount Eden Estate (Chards, Pinots and Cabs) but they run on a later release schedule than most other Cali wineries much like Silver Oak and Shafer HSS and they have just released their 2012. As far as pricing goes, if you shop in a competitive shop you should be able to find it around $60/per ...
jckba

Post by jckba »

As far as what else I am going to look to lay down from 2013 Cali, maybe some Spottswoode, some O'Shaughnessy, some Drinkward Peschon but more than anything, the price at which these are available matter most to me as the price increases we are seeing with the likes of Larkmead, Dominus and wines of the sort are really turning me off.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I wish I didn't hesitate on the 2013 Forman when released from the winery for $95/btl by the case. I didn't end up with a case of 2013 Geyserville and also some Clos du Val, Chappellet, Ridge Estate and Corison. Would have liked to get Monte Bello but the price tag is too steep now unless you jump on it early pre-release.