TN 1998 Chateau Faugeres, St. Em.

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 1998 Chateau Faugeres, St. Em.

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Drinking well. Ready, a point et cetera. I think this fell out of favor among classicists sometime in the 2000s, perhaps before even, but this wine is proof. Fully secondary but with good structure and acidity, perhaps a nod to the ripeness of '98 with a slight aura of alcoholic vapor in the bouquet but only appropriate warmth in the mouthfeel. Nicely aged.
stefan

Re: TN 1998 Chateau Faugeres, St. Em.

Post by stefan »

Good description, Art. I am happy that I bought a case of this way back when.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I also like the powder blue label. Just to round off this note for posterity and add support for my assertion that the wine is fully secondary the color was definitely lightening. And this wine was definitely medium-bodied at most. Very claret. My last of two I believe. Well there's another bus coming sometime. I will now check cellar tracker to see what the crowd thinks of this recently.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had a bottle of this tonite, with lamb and cauliflower. It was great, still at full maturity. These had been held since release, although I doubt I have many bottles left. Very balanced.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sounds good.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice notes on the 98 and I didn`t realize this Chateau would hold up to the ages as well as you described. I`ve worked through a case of the 2005 with 3 bottles left. The one drank over the last two days was the best yet with day 2 being significantly smoother and complex that day 1 suggesting I`ve been drinking these too early. Oh well they`ve been more than enjoyable til now and I`ll hold off for a few more years on the last few bottles and I`ll hold on to the 2009s until I`m a little grayer!!
Danny
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I had the '98 Faugeres in the Fall. I thought it was excellent.