TN: 96 Lagrange [St Julien]

AKR

TN: 96 Lagrange [St Julien]

Post by AKR »

96 Lagrange [St Julien] Double decanted, cork broke, served on the cool side. Consumed over dinner. 13% abv. Dark garnet core, but noticeable pink lightening at the edges. Leads off thin on the palate, yet gains weight over the hour or two of dinner. Still, I'd drink this up over the next few years. Bouquet of mint, eucalyptus, bandaids. It's a lighter weight 96 Medoc, compared to the slugger Pauillacs and St Juliens. The blend here was more CS in this vintage, but not something I would / could have picked out blind. Still light drying tannins in the last glass, which drinks better than all the rest. Despite the extra effort, I think consumers should decant for a little air (there is not that much sediment, so not an issue in that regard). Breathing seems to help this a bit. We've had this a lot over the last 15 years, generally to great pleasure, but I think the 2000 might be pulling ahead now, based off a bottle of that in the fall. Good food wine, with acidity to balance things out. There's a lot to like here; looking forward to finishing the case over the next couple of years. This gets an A- in my ledger, which is more than what I would have thought on the first sip, when I thought to myself-- "bottle variation". Its less chewy/earthy than comparables like the 96 Lafon Rochet, and less sweet/concentrated than the 96 Sociando Mallet -- wines I sort of group into the same 'set theory' groupings.
stefan

Re: TN: 96 Lagrange [St Julien]

Post by stefan »

I agree, Arv. It is not in the top class of St Juliens, but it is very, very good. I have 3 or 4 left and will probably drink them this decade.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I always liked that wine. None left for me, but I think my bro still had 1 or 2 left... I'll work on that!

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Set theory -- it's things like this that keep me coming back here even while conceding probably the application or introduction of mathematical logic to wine appreciation or criticism isn't strictly necessary or perhaps even desirable from the average consumer's standpoint.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I just tried this 2 weeks ago, here's my take:
Just like when I tried this last in 2014, this takes until day 2 to hit its stride. On day 2, it showcases classy, sweet cabernet fruit with distinct notes of smoky poblano pepper, mint, and incipient cedar. Beautiful bouquet. Only medium bodied with excellent brightness and grip, the tannins could use a few more years to soften out. This was a bit disappointing on day 1, overly weedy and thin, but day 2 shows what this beautiful northern Medoc wine can do in a strong year. 92-93 pts.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I agree with Blanquito. I've been trying to coax this wine out of it's shell for some time -- the last about 1-1/2 years ago when I gave it a 2-hour decant and still found it lean, a bit green with drying tannins. Perhaps in it's beginning window, but I don't think there is any hurry for this.

--Gary Rust
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I think I have one or two of these. When I pop one I'll heed this advice.

I remember buying a mixed case of three or four of this, the '96 Leo P. and something else (possibly the '98 Faugeres I just reported on) and passing on the '96 Pichon Baron at the time due to a Tanzer note that was only modestly praiseful. As I've never had a Baron I regret the latter decision. The Medocs were all ~$30, and when was the last time Pichon Baron sold for that?