Bloomberg on the 2014 vintage

JimHow

Re: Bloomberg on the 2014 vintage

Post by JimHow »

Interesting. So are we going to be able to get first growths for under $300?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I thought pricing on a number of non-first growths and their peers looked pretty good in relation to some pretty fine barrel scores. I do discount some of these scores because to me there is a definite 2-3 point "grade inflation" going on in general as well as an eagerness of some channels maybe to give the highest score and gush the most about a wine.

Funny you posted this now as it is from June 2015 but just yesterday I emailed a sales rep who pesters me by email when I place online orders that I should contact him directly to get the best price. Anyway when I asked him whether he was seeing/expecting any "price improvement"(hint-hint) in unsold/unsubscribed 2014s in light of another upcoming vintage of the century (2015) all he said was, in effect, "oh yeah, prices are going to go up [presumably meaning for the 2015 versions) so you should buy remaining 2014s now." WTF/LOL what a helpful guy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote: Funny you posted this now as it is from June 2015 but just yesterday I emailed a sales rep who pesters me by email when I place online orders that I should contact him directly to get the best price. Anyway when I asked him whether he was seeing/expecting any "price improvement"(hint-hint) in unsold/unsubscribed 2014s in light of another upcoming vintage of the century (2015) all he said was, in effect, "oh yeah, prices are going to go up [presumably meaning for the 2015 versions) so you should buy remaining 2014s now." WTF/LOL what a helpful guy.
JJBuckley?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I find it odd. Certainly it's a fine online store I have been satisfied with all transactions there, whether the wines are in-stock or slated to arrive in a stated time frame.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The dollar continues to strengthen so perhaps those 15's will end up being decent values.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

So the Bordelais (some? many?) are not entirely satisfied with their pricing paradigm: up a lot in great years, down a little in poor years. They would like to adopt the California model: up a lot in great years, no change in poor years.