The Zachy's sale

JimHow

The Zachy's sale

Post by JimHow »

Zachy's has a very interesting sale right now:

25% off USA and Bordeaux, plus free shipping!

Some in stock 2006 Bordeaux items that interest me from that reputedly "English claret styled, 1996-like" vintage:

2006 Haut Bergey, $20.99 (RMP91)
2006 Duhart Milon, $31.49 (RMP92)
2006 d'Issan, $45.00 (RMP94)

Tell 'em John Dawson referred you....
Claudius

Re: The Zachy's sale

Post by Claudius »

Well, ask PappaDoc to open a store in Australia with the same prices :cry:
The Duhart Milon was $A77 here, or about $US60. nearly twicwe the price.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I agree, Claudius, those are some damned good prices!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...especially if 2006 is a "1996-styled vintage"....!

I'm gonna try some 2006s and report back here....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

How much is Carruades? :twisted:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha they don't seem to have the '06 in stock, must be sold out.
You can still get the '05 Carruades for $251, though, and the '07, on futures, for a measly $135.
Only five times the price of the measly RMP92 2006 Duhart....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The only '06s I bought were a few Angelus. One of my year-in, year-out faves. I'm tempted by the price drops on some of the others, but I think that many are still overpriced and suspect prices will remain flat or perhaps drop further in the next 6-12 months.

I'm also tempted by some of the early-maturing '08 Pomerol futures. I am sure that a lot of these wines will still be available on release in 3 years, but can't figure out if prices will drop due to all the wine clogged in the system, or go up as the economy recovers.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I'm tempted to head up to Zachy's soon. I need to get some good Bordeaux in the house. I'm getting tired of Burgundy ;0)
-Chasse
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Pssst on the QT the 08 Gazin is the Deal! Not cheap but possibly the best they ever made.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Pappa, the Gazin is on my short list... just can't decide whether to pull the trigger now.

This after saying I was done with buying young Bdx at my age. But it sounds like a lot of the '08 Pomerols should be drinking well within 10 years, even if they haven't yet made old bones.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

Your comment about prices on 2006 Bordeaux kills me. You are fortunate in America that France keeps dumping their wines into the USA at bargain basement prices compared to the rest of the world to try and recapture or maintain their falling market share. Zachy's prices are amazing in comparison to want anyone else can buy worldwide. Even in France prices are significantly higher!

Danny
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Interesting, Danny. Of course, it's all relative. Angelus at $140 or so for the '06 seems pricey compared to the '08 at $99. But it is what it is...

If only you could bring stuff in to Canada from the US without having to pay >100% duty. That truly sucks.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Dollar falling. Lock in 2008 vintage of century now. As a true proud American patriot (unlike that JimHow), I only buy the highest-rated wines in the highest-rated vintages. And of course only for resale.

There's quite a history of rumrunning between Canada and the U.S. At least one of us must have a suitable vessel with which we could repay our thirsty northern neighbors for their prohibition-era support.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Mills in Annapolis MD has the 08 Laland-Borie for $237 a case on futures. I still have a few of the 2000 which I found an excellent value. This is tempting.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Dollar falling. Lock in 2008 vintage of century now. As a true proud American patriot (unlike that JimHow), I only buy the highest-rated wines in the highest-rated vintages. And of course only for resale.

There's quite a history of rumrunning between Canada and the U.S. At least one of us must have a suitable vessel with which we could repay our thirsty northern neighbors for their prohibition-era support.
Oh man that's funny stuff Hound, I laughed out loud yet again....
jal

Post by jal »

Houndsong wrote:Dollar falling.
Actually, and I'm sorry to say that, the dollar is not falling. It is back to 1.41 against the Euro, a long way off its lows of (I think) 1.25, but still away from the 1.60 peak.
Best

Jacques
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I just heard Kudlow say the dollar is falling. He just came down from the mount for crying out loud. I guess the euro is falling faster. Know what that means? Asians will be locking up all the highly rated 2008s if we don't act now before the DOLLAR FALLS FARTHER (OR FURTHER).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Kudlow also says: "It's only money."
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Well I deleted that. It was not wine-related and I can sympathize.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm thinking of shaving my head and posting a picture of myself sniffing into a Riedel port glass on the BWE homepage.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I also thought that the '08 Gazin looked to good to pass up, so I have pulled the trigger. Frankly, I should have pulled it sooner, as it was $53 one day and $57.50 the next, when I ordered.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very well done HBL. I may buy some myself. I'll be down there within a week, PD, probably next weekend.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Yes you guys are lucky. I recall with fond memories being in NY for a year teaching in 1983 when the 80 vintage landed at Garnet at amazing prices - I tasted widely and went for the delicious Pichon Lalande at £5.75 at the then exchange rate (I've just checked my notes: I promise that was the price.) It was my NY house wine for months.

Garnet then tipped me off that there was one R.Parker who was worth reading. Said Parker tipped the 80 Cos above the Lalande. I though the Cos very obviously inferior to the Lalande and concluded comfortably that one R.Parker was someone the wine world could safely ignore. And of course I was right.

Richard