Sad Passing of a Legend and Gentleman...Paul Pontellier

dstgolf

Sad Passing of a Legend and Gentleman...Paul Pontellier

Post by dstgolf »

A sad day in Bordeaux and throughout the world amongst the lovers of fine wine upon hearing of the passing of Paul Pontellier on Easter Monday following a long battle with cancer. Certainly members of BWE whom were fortunate to have experienced the visit to Ch Margaux in 2005 will have fond memories of the kindness and generosity of Paul and Corrine and will be especially saddened by this news.

A good review/tribute by Jancis Robinson FYI:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/ ... pontallier
Danny
JimHow

Re: Sad Passing of a Legend and Gentleman...Paul Pontellier

Post by JimHow »

I never met him, but I watched him a lot on YouTube, etc.
Seemed like a good man.
Not even 60 years old -- two years older than me -- good grief.
He certainly made his mark, he seemed to come aboard right at the point when Bordeaux took off into heights previously unimagined, and his estate was certainly right at the very pinnacle of it all.
Much more importantly, he seemed to live a life of quiet dignity, seemed to be very positive, at least to this American observer from afar, even in "off" vintages.
Loved that 2004 Margaux we had last year, loved the second label at least as much!
A sad loss indeed, but by all appearances, a life well lived.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I am really saddened by this news. I was fortunate to sit next to him at that dinner we had at the Chateau in 2005. What a warm, kind and engaging gentleman. Very level-headed. Meticulous and scientific in his approach to his work. We discussed everything from corks vs. screwcaps to fashion to humor to the war on terrorism. It was a real pleasure to discuss and debate with him. Too young. He will be missed.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Enjoyed a bottle of 1999 Chateau Margaux in a small group last night in memory of Paul Pontellier. He led Chateau Margaux to amazing heights. The thing I like about Margaux is how fine the wines are in lesser vintages. This 1999 was quite wonderful with a beguiling aroma and a slightly exotic flavor profile that was perhaps more Bordeaux than specifically Margaux. Something like 94-95 points on this bottle with priceless intangibles.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Btw there is another thread on this, but this thread is much better.

I am arranging a Chateau Margaux vertical in London in May if any of you want to pop over. It is a shame that Concorde is out of commission. I am hoping that Tim and Alex can make the journey across La Mânche. Tim pointed out - actually obliquely implied - that none of the Pontallier wines are remotely ready to drink.

We are doing in honour of Paul Pontallier of course, whom we met in 2013. MEK has a picture of us. I must say he has such a passion for his work and was also somewhat long winded in a charming French way 'together we can dream about ze future' when tasting the 2010, which I would rank as his crowning achievement.

Chris I just purchased some of the 1999, which I have been longing to do, as it is a very different animal to the 1998.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Another hero passed away too soon. RIP. Let's sip wine as long as we can.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a lone bottle of the 1996 Margaux that I will drink on my 80th? 90th? 100th? Birthday.