TN: 13 Carmes de Rieussec [Sauternes]

AKR

TN: 13 Carmes de Rieussec [Sauternes]

Post by AKR »

13 Carmes de Rieussec [Sauternes] The first of the 2013 sweet Bordeaux I've tried. From a half bottle, but not really chilled enough. Very pale straw in color. Looks more like a dry white, than a sweet wine. Lighter bodied, 13.5% abv. Stone fruit, marmalade, citrus oil on the nose and palate. Very easy sipping, but no verve here. Concentration is ok, maybe 20 seconds, but not at the levels of the grand vin, which in some vintages can leave a wonderful lingering taste behind like glaceed apricots to me. This is not showing any of that, and probably won't develop it. This is very good value, so if one is not able to readily procure other/older Sauternes bargains, this could be a useful wine for midweek enjoyment. Neil Martin was quite positive on it, but I don't think it will age, and that may be unrealistic, and unneeded anyways. I'd give this a B. I don't think I'll reload though; there is a lot of well priced dessert wines out there and I really want to get more 2007's when the prices harmonize with comparably aged/quality vintages like 2005 or 2009.

Coutet and Rieussec are my favorite Barsac and Sauternes for general purposes.
AlexR

Re: TN: 13 Carmes de Rieussec [Sauternes]

Post by AlexR »

I, too, have been pretty impressed with Rieussec's 2nd wine.
And, as you say, excellent value for money.

In addition, you are right on the money with regard to 2007 Sauternes: this is a very good year in that appellation, and prices have stayed quite reasonable.

Alex