BWE DC '16, Saturday wines- updated with notes & impressions

Blanquito

BWE DC '16, Saturday wines- updated with notes & impressions

Post by Blanquito »

Here's the lineup we had Saturday night. I think everything opened that night is listed below except maybe a wine or two. Notes and impressions added, my notes were concentrated on the wines at my table. Clearly, almost everything showed well and I was continually impressed how much I really enjoyed most everything. My 95 pt rated wines below are really more like 95+ wines, where only a handful of the world's greatest wines could hope to surpass them (wines like the 82 Margaux and the 86 Mouton, a wine that "goes to 11", notes Tom).

Incredible night and line-up! I'd add that Charlie Palmer did a great job, very classy private room with a nice ambiance and plenty of space, the appetizers and tenderloin were terrific, and the service was excellent.

1962 Moet Chandon White Star- Still kicking in an oxidative, sherried style.
1979 Ruinart BdB- Really yummy, disappeared quickly.
2002 Egly-Ouriet Brut (magnum)- A bit of a let down, didn't show much.
2002 Pol Roger Brut- Classy and balance, but lacked some fireworks. Seemed wide open, but perhaps not quite at peak.

2002 Comtes Lafon Meursault Genevrières- Glorious white burg here. Young, dense yet seamless and regal, with strong notes of vanilla and quince. Close to a perfect chardonnay bouquet for my mileage, fruity without heaviness, great acidic spine, long and delicious. 93-94 pts.
2004 Marcassin Chardonnay- My first Marcassin. Clean and not oaky, this was all about huge fruit. Somehow is was still very drinkable, but all one note. I enjoyed but not my style.

1937 Ausone- didn't try.
1950 Cos d'Estournel- didn't try.
1950 Gazin- didn't try.
1982 Cantemerle- Just terrific, not a lightweight at all, held its own against the 86 Medocs and the 89 Cantemerle. Fully mature, round and generous with a classic claret profile. A bargain still at auction.
1982 Leoville Barton- corked.
1983 Cos d'Estournel- Delicate scents of cinnamon, cherries, earth, lemon zest. Fully mature with that silky smooth texture only time brings. Nice depth on the palate, chewy with cherry compote. Just lovely, complex and charming, fantastic showing. Another great '83. 93-94pts.
1983 Gruaud Larose- I did't try this until the after-party in my room, and then I was very impressed indeed. Again, this was not a lighter bodied wine next to more famous years; if anything, it had more fruit than the '86 G-L if not quite the depth. Funky and round, with a great earthy core of old school fruit, I thought this terrific. Maybe a little chunky around the middle, but I am not bitchin'. 100% mature and ready to go. 93 pts.
1986 Cos d'Estournel- Big and bruising, still tart and a little hard, tighter than the other '86s. Has terrific depth and grip, showing so zesty and bright, it still coats the mouth with fleshy tannins and powerful fruit even at age 30. Dry and stern, this needs time but I am still a firm believer this is a great Cos and that it will be magnificent in another 10-15 years. 93 pts.
1986 Ducru Beaucaillou- corked.
1986 Gruaud Larose (2 bottles)- A beauty, this is showing softer these days than some other Left Bank '86s. Extremely engaging nose of smoke, cinder, campfire with fleshy, rounded palate and nice resolved length. Remember when this wine was all ferrous and iron and hard as nails? 93 pts.
1986 Rausan Segla- Exotic nose, showing leafy cabernet, roses, mulling spices, sour orange, filled with Margauxberries. At peak with a smooth attack underpinned by a firm, almost hard '86 spine. Still has some classic fruit flavors but which are just starting to turn into cigarbox and black tea. Luxurious fruit married to rustic structure, a viniferous miracle. Terrific length with a long, long finish. Up there for WOTN. 95 pts.
1986 Talbot- Leapin' lizards, Winona Chief! Glorious showing, incredibly complex bouquet, fabulous balance and length, wonderfully smooth, this had it all. I didn't take a formal note on this, but this went to 95 pts.
1988 Lagune- didn't try.
1989 Cantemerle- Love this wine, show a lot like the 82 in profile but with more grip, less overt fruitiness and more earthy, savory notes, drinking at point but will go for another 10-15 year easily. Some smooth and effortless, a great vintage. 93-94 pts.
1989 Lagune- didn't try.
1990 Grand Puy Lacoste- Found this orphaned toward the end of the night, and this quickly made it into my top 5 wines. Layed, long, concentrated, with waves of '90 fruit, but this is an old school Pauillac through and through with classic lead pencil, cassis and green tobacco. Only in early maturity, this seamless and engaging. 94-95 pts.
1995 Pichon Lalande- An awkward showing, lots of fruit, but stolid and a bit chunky. It needed more air to show well, but this frog could still metamorphose into a prince some day.
1995 Smith Haut Lafitte- Very impressed by this. Normally this is too creamy and oaky for my tastes, but this old vintage is a classic showing more like a traditional Right Banker next to all these classified growths from Pauillac, St Estephe and St Julien. Rounded, open, resolved, generous with good depth. Lacked some complexity in this lineup, but the aromatics could use some more time to develop though. 92-93 pts.
1996 Cantemerle- didn't try.
1996 Haut Brion- A baby, but drinking well, so smooth, pure and effortless. A monument to balance and elegance, but with depth to spare, I love this. Showed better than the LMHB 96 next to it. 95 pts.
1996 Lynch Bages- Got a small taste during dinner, and I didn't like it as the nose was overripe and sickly. Tried again a few hours later at the after-party and wow, baby! this had come on strong. Deep, ripe, long, perfectly balance with just enough ripeness. Showing classic Pauillac minerals and graphite, this puppy is just beginning to shine and will be a great Lynch in another 10+ years. 94 pts.
1996 La Mission Haut Brion- Got a small pour, while very, very nice, it didn't sign to me. Seemed a bit restrained, needs more time for sure, but still 93 pts.
1996 Pichon Baron- Only got a small pour late in the night, wasn't very impressed, showed quite tart and one-dimensional. I usually really like this vintage of Baron.
1996 Pichon Lalande- Killer, killer young Bordeaux. Most folks didn't seem focused on this youngster, but I was enthralled and it just got better and better over the evening. 95 pts.
1996 Sociando (magnum)- This classic acquitted itself commendably. One of the few understudy wines that seemed ever so slightly less endowed in the middle than its more famous and pricey brethren. But it had great grip, lovely leafy aromatics, and excellent brightness, and of course, it will continue to improve for some time. Showed dark and minerally, like grapes grown on basalt. 92 pts.
2000 Canon la Gaffliere- didn't try.
2002 Leoville Barton- didn't try.
2002 Palmer- only got a small sip at the end of the night, showed very weird, but judgment reserved.
2003 Leoville Barton- I really wasn't interested in trying this with so many mature classics occupying my attention, but when it came around to my table, I took a small pour. This was awesome! Lots of fruit of course, but button-downed and not garish in any way. Great acid and balance, drinking really well already. Might look for some if the price isn't silly. 93-94 pts.
2010 Cantemerle- Jim and I were on the same page all weekend, it seemed like all of the same wines were speaking to both of us, but this is the one wine where I didn't quite share his full enthusiasm... Dark fruited maybe even a bit roasted, wonderfully juicy, opened for such a young wine, clearly a big vintage but nothing overdone, classy and stylish like we expect Cantemerle, but this is just too young for me to fully grok at this time. I liked, didn't love this, but it has a strong future I think. 90 pts.

1988 Climens- Normally one of my favorite Sauternes, but this wasn't showing especially expressive, so I moved on and focused on the Tete.
1990 Filhot Creme de Tete- Color going cooper. Deep glorious flavors of caramel and burnt orange, terrific acidity and length. A rich, heady sticky but with a steely spine and zero heaviness. A great Sauternes. 94 pts.
2001 La Tour Blanche (half bottle)- didn't try.
Last edited by Blanquito on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blanquito

Re: BWE DC '16, Saturday wines

Post by Blanquito »

Almost everything showed really well (except 2 corked wines). The wines that really stood out to me were (in no order): 1996 Haut Brion, 1986 Talbot, 1986 Rausan Segla, 1996 Lynch Bages, 2003 Leoville Barton, 1986 Gruaud, 1983 Cos, 1983 Gruaud, 1989 Cantemerle, 2002 Lafon Meursault, 1990 Filhot CdT, 1996 Pichon Lalande, 1990 GPL, and 1982 Cantemerle.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A nice lineup, that makes dream every Bordeaux lovers!

I will be intested in your comments, especially the 1950 and 1937, not that I own some, but always special and a rare moment when tasting that kind of Bordeaux.

Nic
tim

Post by tim »

Nic, I opened a 1950 La Mission Haut Brion last week when my Aunt was visiting Paris. It was spectacular. Easily in my top three wines so far this year, perhaps even besting the 61 LLC from the London tasting.

Both 1950 and 1955 Bordeaux have offered great surprises when I've opened them.
Last edited by tim on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tim

Post by tim »

Great lineup of wines. How was the 96 HB vs LMHB?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Looks like a lineup tilted toward the greatest Medocs
marcs

Post by marcs »

The 1950 Gazin was crazy...really thick and rich, with all kinds of curry-like spice and incense type scents and flavors. Not entirely sure I really liked it, it was in some ways too heavy for me (very little acidic lift) but certainly one of the most unusual aged wines i have ever tasted.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Lots of tried and trusted BWE stalwarts in that line up...

Likewise for the wines...

How did the Leoville-Barton 2002 compare to the 2003? Which was the group favourite?

Likewise the the three Cantermerles?
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Wow...crazy line up...Talbot rocks!!!...Next year u should do a dinner with all the BWE WOTY...u guys do It right
Blanquito

Re: BWE DC '16, Saturday wines- updated with notes & impressions

Post by Blanquito »

Line-up updated above with my tastings notes and impressions.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Great notes, Patrick. Wow, you really worked your way through an awful lot of wines. I am IMPRESSED!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Thanks for posting your notes, Patrick. Very impressed.

I just loved the 1979 Dom Ruinart Blanc de Blancs - a truly great Champagne. Head and shoulders above all the other Champagnes on Saturday night.

There were two bottles of 1986 Talbot, I think Rob Dayton brought the other. They were both great and disappeared fast. The 1986 Rausan Segla was also at the top of its game. Never had a bad bottle of this one.

Missed out on the 1990 Grand Puy Lacoste - too bad because it's a great one. The 1996 Pichon Lalande was a little slow coming out its shell (probably because it was opened just before dinner). Kind of dismissed at our table and sent around the room and didn't seem to draw much interest - it was over half full when we left Charlie Palmer. Later, as the evening wore on it got better and better. Marjorie and me shared what was left on Sunday night. It was thrilling. Glad to have lots more of this beauty.

Really enjoyed getting an opportunity to try the ancient wines that Michael P brought. The 1950 Cos was my favorite, very nice, quite elegant. The 1950 Gazin was rich and bold but a little heavy and unbalanced. After being told that it was way over the hill, I was pleased that to find that the 1937 Ausone was still hanging in there and quite enjoyable.

Lots of great wines. Lots of great people. A really wonderful evening.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Terrific notes, well done Patrick...but you are going to be in the dog house with the BD with that score for the 2010 Cantermerle. I think it was definitely worth at least 91 points. Maybe even 92. Joking apart at the price I think it is a no-brainer purchase, but I would rate it on a par with the 1996, of which I have a case on the go ('scuse the poor English).

I don't know if you remember that Pauillac offline almost exactly ten years ago in mid-town - first time we became acquainted and you were wearing that hat with a feather in it - that Pichon Baron 96 was one of the top wines - but my subsequent experiences have been distinctly underwhelming. The mediocrity of this wine is magnified by the Comtessa's brilliance in 1996.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Terrific notes, well done Patrick...but you are going to be in the dog house with the BD with that score for the 2010 Cantermerle. I think it was definitely worth at least 91 points. Maybe even 92. Joking apart at the price I think it is a no-brainer purchase, but I would rate it on a par with the 1996, of which I have a case on the go ('scuse the poor English).

I don't know if you remember that Pauillac offline almost exactly ten years ago in mid-town - first time we became acquainted and you were wearing that hat with a feather in it - that Pichon Baron 96 was one of the top wines - but my subsequent experiences have been distinctly underwhelming. The mediocrity of this wine is magnified by the Comtessa's brilliance in 1996.
I hope I am not banned for my 90 pts on the 2010 Cantemerle. My score was for current drinking now only, that was Olympic-level competition this rookie 2010 faced against many a veteran all-star, and I do not possess the BD's tolerance of tannin and mystical ability to peer into the soul of a young wine. I own close to a case and half of the 10 Cantemerle, so I am a firm believer in its future, I just don't plan to touch mine for a good while...

I do recall that great Pauillac night as Les Sans Coulettes in the Middle East Side. We were a really big group, all crammed around a too small table on a scorching hot day. I also loved the 96 Baron that night, having it in my top 3-4 wines (the 95 PLL was my favorite with the 1975 Haut Bages Liberal showing a nice 3rd place). That was a really fun night, and I recall we went on a pub crawl later with Chris and a few others.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Winona Chief wrote:The 1996 Pichon Lalande was a little slow coming out its shell (probably because it was opened just before dinner). Kind of dismissed at our table and sent around the room and didn't seem to draw much interest - it was over half full when we left Charlie Palmer. Later, as the evening wore on it got better and better. Marjorie and me shared what was left on Sunday night. It was thrilling. Glad to have lots more of this beauty.
Thanks for sharing your impressions, Chris. In particular, I am glad you got a good glass of the 96 PLL, it was easy to miss in the early going. I didn't try it until it had had an hour or more of air, and I followed it in my glass for several hours thereafter. Just got better and better. Hard to compare wine from one decade vs another, but the 96 PLL was definitely in my top 5 wines of the night.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

looks great, i'll take a closer look at it after i get through this crazy day.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

The 1986 Gruaud Larose and Cos d'Estournel were both very impressive but were a bit on the young side. More to my taste were the 1989 Cantermerle, 1983 Cos d'Estournel and 1983 Gruaud Larose - all in a good place for current drinking. The 1982 Cantermerle was also excellent. A couple other high quality bargain 1982s to look for are La Lagune and Meyney.

Chris Bublitz
tim

Post by tim »

I am curious how the 79 Dom Ruinart performed.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Tim,
See my comment above - it was GREAT!!

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think that 2003 Leoville Barton is really evolving into something special.
tim

Post by tim »

Winona Chief wrote:Tim,
See my comment above - it was GREAT!!

Chris Bublitz
Thanks Chris. I somehow missed that post :)

I never tasted it, but reading about it makes me believe it is a legendary Dom Ruinart...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very well done indeed Timmy McCracken. We missed you this year!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 79 was my favorite bubbly. Thanks for sending the champagne, Tim.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You guys pass on the 2010 Cantemerle at your own peril. It is better than the Margaux second label at a sixth of the cost. You have been warned.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Marcs and I tended to agree on the 50 Gazin, although I thought it was the most intellectually interesting wines I've had in a while. The nose was amazing with all kinds of crazy stuff like yellow curry, sandalwood, potpourri. It was sweet and thick, but a bit jumpy.

My WOTN was the 96 HB.

Michael-P
stefan

Post by stefan »

The 79 Dom Ruinart was far and away my favorite Champagne of the night. I like 02 Pol Roger, but at this stage of its development it is no match for the DR.