TN 2009 Chateau La Cardonne, Medoc

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2009 Chateau La Cardonne, Medoc

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Even further along the spectrum of an "honest" Medoc, in my opinion. This wine is a blend of 45% cab sauv, 5% cab franc and 50% merlot and in contrast to even last night's very honest Medoc, and making due allowance for the differences between two strong vintages, this is even more to my liking, with the added cab sauvignon bringing, even with the same fullness and breadth, a less sweet and more briney, savory flavor set. While approachable as so many 2009s have been, this feels like five to ten years in bottle might do this some good. Relax it just a bit. It has the tannins, slightly astringent in the finish and the fruit and balance to withstand that much. Good drinking now though and another outstanding QPR with a solid, "honest" left bank feel.
stefan

Re: TN 2009 Chateau La Cardonne, Medoc

Post by stefan »

The late Setab loved this wine and brought the '05 La Cardonne to the first BWE convention.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sigh. Yes he did. I remember sipping it with him. I remember the seat, the table, off to the left, he was to my right…. I remember it like yesterday.

It was the '95, though, not the '05, obviously, as Chicago was in 2001.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Hmm. I had a couple last year, with very different experiences.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=5608
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Sorry for that. I've had it twice with consistent results. But I admit the same wine often is anything but consistent.
JScott

Post by JScott »

There was another modest central California wine I remember Dennis banging the table over. Began with an "F" I think but I can't remember exactly. I'm thinking it wasn't a 'traditional' grape, either. What was it? What a genuinely good guy....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What a night that was!
JScott

Post by JScott »

I still look back on that and can't believe it actually happened the way it did. I remember meeting Nic outside the restaurant that first night some of us got in. He got there first and for about ten minutes had the sudden realization that maybe this was all an internet hoax, that he had been punked and traveled internationally to a street corner where no one else would be. I have never been a part of anything like it before or since. A little like Close Encounters of the Third Kind, where people from random, unconnected lives and towns all gather in one spot.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes that first weekend was something.

I enjoyed all the time I passed with setab that weekend, even ggoing with him and his wife at the aquarium on Saturday morning. God I was angover!

And I remember Jscott being the first to tell me that he really appreciated my 1990 Chateau Haut Bailly with the food. His favorite wine with the food that night.

We went to Indianapolis to see Whuzzup in 2002, and setab was there that weekend. Again, magic and unforgettable.

I share an hotel room with setab at BWE 2003 in New-York, as the exchange rate was literally killing our Can$!

Aaah, the good ol'time!

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

That 1990 Haut Bailly still hanging in there. FInished the last of them in the fall!

Whatever happened to Whuzzup