Chateau Rouget Pomerol

Comte Flaneur

Chateau Rouget Pomerol

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I would be interested in canvassing opinions and experiences of this Pomerol estate. I have a few to share but I wouldn't mind if one or two of you got the ball rolling.
JimHow

Re: Chateau Rouget Pomerol

Post by JimHow »

I had the 2005 Rouget once. I found it Parlerized, modern, lacking personality.
stefan

Post by stefan »

We drank a case of the 2000 Rouget. I thought it was pretty good for the price; $20-25 IIRC. Nothing special, but some Pomerol personality was there.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I bought 2001 which was very precocious, which I drank, and now have a case of 2000 on the go. It is a lovely wine on the entry but like the 2001 it is a 2000 which will not repay keeping. Never thought I would say that. The first bit is the most delicious and very true to Pomerol... plummy etc...but somehow it lacks excitement. It is less exciting than De Sales which is a good honest Pomerol. Bit of an enigma
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ditto on the 2000. Good but nothing outstanding. Not sure I agree with Jim on Parkerized as I found it a little on the rustic side and would have expected JH to enjoy this a little more unless they've changed their style since 2000. I must say I've referred Chateau La Pointe to Rouget for similar $$ and the 2012 Croix de Gay was better than both in the same price range.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is what Parker says about the 2005 Rouget in June 2015:

Robert Parker's Wine Advocate - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate, June 2015
The 2005 is a delicious, complex, outstanding wine from this estate, which has been doing some great work of late. Loads of licorice, truffle, blackcurrant and black cherry fruit are present in this opulent, full-bodied Pomerol. It also has a beautiful texture and purity as well as a long finish. Just approaching full maturity, it has another 10-15 years of further longevity. - Robert M. Parker, Jr.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I also prefer La Pointe to Rouget but I paid somewhat more for it IIRC. Between de Sales and Rouget it is more of a toss up for me even if the wines are quite different with Rouget being more up front. All are serviceable Pomerols that I would not be embarrassed even to serve at a dinner with guests as a lead in to more exciting wines.

While on the topic of Pomerols, how is the 2008 VCC? I have a case of it but have not tasted it.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim I've never felt opulence drinking Rouget! Serviceable wine but wouldn't go seeking this out again. The 98s which for right bank I would have thought they would be going strong but Rouget was at its best probably 8-10 yrs ago. Its certainly on a downward curve now and maybe what you are referring to Ian wrt the 2001. Maybe these are made to drink young??
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've had a lot of Rouget's going back 20-30 years, I think some from the 70's or maybe it was 64?

I have not tried my 05 or 08s yet, which are well regarded, compared prior years.

I like them, and continue to buy them. They are bigger, chewier wines than many other Pomerols.

I'd consider them longer lived than most of the other names mentioned on this thread, excepting VCC.

That being said, I don't think they get better after a point (say 20 years) but are vigorous til then.

98 was very nice, and I have bottles from many sources, and so far, it's been very solid.

To me it's a reliable B+ Pomerol in most good years, that can age, that typically costs $30ish pre tax, pre shipping.

I do remember picking up some 97's on the cheap a few years after release. Even those were very quaffable, especially for the (I'm guessing) $19ish they must have been or so.

Rouget (and Grand Corbin Despagne) both remind me of right bank versions of Grand Puy Lacoste. But I think I've mentioned that a few times.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Rouget is owned by the Labruyère family. They have vines in the Beaujolais (especially Moulin-à-Vent) and also have a plot in the Clos de Vougeot.

Rouget has a low profile, but punches above its weight.

I consider it excellent value for money.
I also feel that the quality, which was always good, have improved further in recent vintages.

OK, so Rouget isn't L'Evangile or Trotanoy.
But it is a good, authentic Pomerol at an affordable price.
Definitely one to go for if you're into bang for your buck.

Best regards,
Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2012 is apparently opulent as well:

WINEMAKER'S NOTES:

2012 Bordeaux Future. Delivery Fall 2015.The 2012 boasts a deep blue/purple color along with a big, sweet nose of kirsch liqueur, lavender, balsam wood, truffles and lead pencil shavings. The complex aromatics are followed by a full-bodied, opulently-textured, fleshy wine that has more in common with a 2009 than most 2012s tend to possess. An outstanding sleeper of the vintage.Robert Parker Wine Advocate (90-93 pts.)*We will notify you on arrival. Summer 2015.*

Read more: http://www.snooth.com/wine/chateau-roug ... z46AmInzcV
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks all.

Two more observations.

First the case off 2000 I took out of bond two weeks ago cost me £270 to purchase in 2001 or 2002 from Farr Vintners a prominent UK merchant. When I took it out of storage they valued it at £280, an increase of only 3.5% over 15 years!

The other 2000s I bought from Farrs at the same time - Beychevelle and Montrose - have trebled or even quadrupled in value! So why is Rouget so unfashionable, why is it such a Cinderella?

Second observation about this wine is that the first glass is always the best. The next day it was tired and dreary. But I must say that first glass was fantastic, and the essence of Pomerol. Of course it does not have the complexity of the bigger names but it would be easy to identify this as Pomerol tasted blind.

Three quarters the way through the bottle my attention began to wander.

I would rate the 2000 slightly better than the 2001, of which I polished off two cases.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

My first exposure to Rouget was the 1982. It was one of my first case purchases. I've bought it on and off over the years. I have some of the 2009 in the cellar now. Always thought of it as a good QPR in good years, not worth it in not so good years. It has little or no cachet. It flies below the radar, which is why it's remained relatively affordable and why it doesn't appreciate in price over time. Though the 1982 did develop nicely over about 15 years, I don't think the wine has the stamina to age like a Beychevelle or Montrose in most years, so that could be part of its failure to increase in value with age.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

What this discussion leads me to think is that estates can change - up or down - tremendously over the years.

I sampled a few 2015 Pomerols at the en primeur tasting two weeks ago.
The overall level was fantastic.

Beauregard was one of the stars - and yet, who would praise the wine according to past performance?

The talk certainly makes me want to taste a post 2009/2010 vintage of Rouget.

Alex R.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A bottle of the 1999 Rouget was perhaps the greenest wine I've ever had. Undrinkable. Kinda scared me off, but I should revisit. Looks like I have a few bottles of the 2005 in the cellar, purchased before the run-in with the '99.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

were the 2015 Pomerols Parkerized in any way Alex?
I found the 2005 Rouget quite Parkerized and homogenized/internationalized, and judging from his descriptions of the 2005, 2009, 2010, and 2012, so did Parker.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Jim,

As I said above, I'd really like to become reacquainted with more recent vintages of Rouget.

In other words, I regularly taste wines like Croizet Bages, let's say, in the hopes that my previous negative expériences are a thing of the past.
This happens quite a bit, in fact.
Far more often, I'd say, than estates where quality goes down rather than up..
While Croizet Bages is still lagging, wines like Marquis de Terme, for instance have taken a major step forward.

As for the 2015 Pomerols, I only tasted about 10, and none of them blockbusters.
That's because few Pomerol estates belong to the Union des Grands Crus.
But the 2015 PomerolsI tasted were rich and sexy, including a couple of other wines that have improved tremendously: Beauregard and La Pointe.

I spent a couple of days in the wine country with Izak Litwar ("Lafleur"). He tasted more Pomerols than I did and knows the appellation well, having written a book on the subject.

Best,
Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Thanks all.

Two more observations.

First the case off 2000 I took out of bond two weeks ago cost me £270 to purchase in 2001 or 2002 from Farr Vintners a prominent UK merchant. When I took it out of storage they valued it at £280, an increase of only 3.5% over 15 years!

The other 2000s I bought from Farrs at the same time - Beychevelle and Montrose - have trebled or even quadrupled in value! So why is Rouget so unfashionable, why is it such a Cinderella?

Second observation about this wine is that the first glass is always the best. The next day it was tired and dreary. But I must say that first glass was fantastic, and the essence of Pomerol. Of course it does not have the complexity of the bigger names but it would be easy to identify this as Pomerol tasted blind.

Three quarters the way through the bottle my attention began to wander.

I would rate the 2000 slightly better than the 2001, of which I polished off two cases.
A lot of things in life are like that. They catch a bid because of a rating, or a pretty label, or some movie/TV show features it, or its trendy in the salons of Shanghai.

But for those looking for intrinsic value - the actual consumption of the product - they may care less about those attributes.

I'm not so bulled up on Rouget that I would multiple cases ever, but a few bottles consistently in good vintages is fine, and if it stays under the radar, all the better.

Pomerol is an expensive region already, and I'd rather they did not ascend into Gazin like tariffs.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A year or two ago PJs had it in stock for like $45. Now that I think about it, it was the 2009, not the 2005. I was excited because Parker was excited about it, and it was priced reasonably. It was as boring as a '93 Batailley: International, Parkerized, typical, somewhat intrusive alcohol, as I recall.

Actually, I just checked. PJ's still has the 2009 Rouget in stock for $44.97.
Here's what the Parker review says about the 2009 Rouget:

The best Rouget I have ever tasted, the 2009 displays terrific aromas of kirsch liqueur and loamy soil as well as a plump, fat, luscious personality. With sensational concentration and purity, a full-bodied mouthfeel, and an enormous fruit character, this beauty should drink well for 15 or more years. - WA91-93*
AKR

Post by AKR »

From a bottle back in January
===========================
Post by AKR on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:28 pm

98 Rouget [Pomerol] We had a bottle of this tonite. J lived in Salzburg at one point in her life and, in memory of that, made jagerschnitzel, egg noodles, and green beans to go with it. I've had this since release, and it was just popped and poured at 64F. Lots of sediment in the final glass. Has a sexy, spicy, sandalwood bouquet. There's other notes in there too - truffles, liqueurs, fruitcake too. It's pretty complex. On the palate its ripe, fruity, and chewy - more on the plum side of flavors. Only 12.5% abv, but it feels bigger. The tannins are resolved, and this drinks well before and during dinner, and the entire bottle is consumed as we clean up. The acidity is either low, or held in check. I've had this a few times over the years, and its probably just past its apogee in terms of maturity. This is a serious wine from an expensive region that doesn't have speculative fervor baked into its price. It lasts a while too, so one can cellar it. I've had a lot of older ones (decant them!) but have yet to dip into more recent vintages 2005 onwards. Quality seems to be inching upwards by reputation, but the 1998 is pretty darn good. It's a tough call whether its a B+ or an A- for me, but its somewhere there. For various reasons, I've always thought of Rouget as sort of like a right bank equivalent to Grand Puy Lacoste...wines nice enough for the weekend or guests but at the same time fairly priced so that midweek open bottle in fridge type of consumption is fine too. And both age, and convey typicity. This might be the last of the pre 2000 vintages left in our house. The SO drinks a lot of this, but we both love Pomerol.