Prof Dubordieu on 2015 Bdx

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: Prof Dubordieu on 2015 Bdx

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

It's become de rigeur to buttress a vintage assessment with all this data about the growing season. Just tell me how the wine tastes. Here in Colorado we are growing world class cannabis and it's all done indoors. Nobody seems to care.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

But has it been internationalized Hound?
I smoked pot once in college… it was "laced"… I proceeded to try to take my pants off over my head….
I can still remember my roommate Joe Humby's head floating around in circles in the darkness….
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Well let's just say the hang time appears to be about right.

Obviously a lot of people have put a lot of work into this during the prohibition period, kudos to them. Hybridization appears to have been an intense hobby. Now there's a natural interest in landrace strains. Like throwback. I think Colorado was very forward thinking (along with Washington) and of course smart in legalizing it, having also been one of the earlier MMJ states (interestingly Hawaii was the first MMJ state I believe, but still no rec pot). The tax revenue has been enormous and even occasioned a constitutionally-mandated sales tax holiday this past year when annual receipts exceeded a certain amount. I've seen stats that as much as 80% of rec sales are to out of state customers. It's a big coup for the state. Would be nice to see it become a locus of industry but ultimately I don't know if that makes sense. May be more cost effective to grow elsewhere on an industrial scale.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:It's become de rigeur to buttress a vintage assessment with all this data about the growing season. Just tell me how the wine tastes. Here in Colorado we are growing world class cannabis and it's all done indoors. Nobody seems to care.
Perhaps at some point UC Davis will get thoughtful about this and and improve the production. The central valley is a remarkable place for growing all kinds of things, and perhaps that can be harnessed.

It would be great to find a way to collect some taxes from this activity for the state. Presumably it would lower prices, so the illegal elements will have less resources, and more money can be put into public goods. Or we could lower the tax burden on the average hard working citizen.

I think the vintage assessments that focus on the weather, temps, water, hang times etc. are to place bounds on what could be created. Nature ultimately will have some limits on what the wines will be. And these are just attempts to frame the outcomes.

The 2002 Rhones were quite possibly some of the worst wines ever released in modern times. There was a flood and the grapes soaked up all the water, and wines were watery due to that. Sensible producers declassified, taking the short term hit, but saving the long term brand value. Others couldn't afford to, and those 2002s still float around the market, and if someone buys one, and is revolted, they will not try that estate again. Some vintage context in that situation would have been helpful to consumers. (Vieux Telegraphe put their wines into a curious reverse labeled wine called Vieux Telegramme, so that their fans would have a placeholder for the vintage in their verticals, and the price was quite low. Wine was drinkable too.)
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

Thanks for the link.
It made me laugh because I translated that very document.

Professor Dubourdieu is a remarkable man. Unfotunately, he has a serious illness and is fighting for his life. I was happy to see him during en primeur week.
He reminds me of Paul Pontalier who wrote a message for all to see at Margaux just before his death.

These men are nothing if not decicated.

Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Very sorry to hear that Prof. Dubordieu is so ill.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The futures offers that seem to be showing up in my inbox so far seem fairly reasonable.

15 Chasse Spleen for $28 or $29?

That is not too bad. I seem to recall that 2000 was $25ish, and that has proven to be a sublime effort.

Things do not seem to be discounted to the 2012 right banks available now. But those also seem like generally ok values.