2006 Ch Lárossee St Emilion GCC

Claudius2

2006 Ch Lárossee St Emilion GCC

Post by Claudius2 »

Not posted a note for some time.
So I turned the air cond on full and shut all the doors and windows to keep out the Singaporean heat.
Been 36C (nearly 100F) every day and 100% humidity. And its still 90F at 11 pm.
In this weather, the idea of fuller bodied reds is an obvious issue.
So most of the time I open a nice cold Riesling or chardonnay/white Burgundy.

The wine has a very nice dark red colour. Very typical of St Emilion.
Nose was closed at first so I decanted it and after an hour or two, it was singing.
Nice, rosy red and black fruit. The aromas show raspberry, plums, dark cherries, vanilla, tobacco and musk.
It actually smelled really enticing and fragrant with the fruit complimented by sweet French oak.

Palate was medium bodied, with soft red and black fruits, good acid and some unresolved tannin which softened with time.
The palate showed soft, well balanced red and black fruits, with some oaky characters of vanilla, spice, tobacco and musk.
There sems to be a fair bit of new French oak though it was nicely balanced.

This wine is not a great wine. It isn't going to knock Cheval Blanc or Petrus off any pedestals.
Yet it was a very nice drink in its own right, and a wine I would happily buy again. Though it would be nice to try it in mild weather with French food (okay, I had Indian curry with it).

One last point on 2006.
I have started pulling some 06s out of the cellar. I did not buy many in any case, after loading on 2005s, though they wer quite reasonably priced.
I am finding that after numerous attempts, I think 06 is a better right bank vintage. Maybe the left bank wines need more time but the Merlot based wines are supple and quite fruity.
I have tried a few disappointing Medocs in recent months - not the top wines but middle ranking wines like St Juliens - Langoa Barton, Branaire, Lagrange.
They are okay but lack some depth and complexity. Lagrange better than the other two (actually LB was the worst).
So I would rate it as a very good right bank and (merely) good left bank vintage.

The only other vintage I've tried with any frequency in the last year is 2004, and I finding it a frustrating vintage. The wines are rather tart, often with tannins and acid beyond the fruit's ability to hold the wine in balance.
Not sure about ageing capacity but they are not generally showing well at 12 years of age. After say, 20 yrs, the acids and tannins may resolve but I wonder if the fruit will carry through.
stefan

Re: 2006 Ch Lárossee St Emilion GCC

Post by stefan »

Good to hear from you, Marc. So far I have drunk very few 2004 and 2006 Bdx and it is interesting to read what you have to say about wines from these vintages.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I picked up one of these recently. The bottle seemed strange to me - a huge Pavie like bottle for an estate know for more finesse than power. I hadn't seen the new bottles, and in any case, I guess its all moot since the brand has been subsumed into The Next Big Thing.

l'Arrosee is something I have very infrequently.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

AKR,
The estate used to have a typical Bordeaux bottle - the 06 was the first bottle I've seen in a new style chunky bottle.
Secondly, the wine is now a more "modern" style despite my dislike for that term.
Yet it was actually a nice wine irrespective but not exactly a great St Emilion.
The last time I had a Pavie (the 04) it was so oaky that it was like sucking an oak stave.
Great fruit but the oak was so prominent I was picking woodchips out of my teeth.

Stefan,
Been too quiet. I'm going to the UK in a few weeks and am actually hoping for cold weather. But no rain or mist....
At least in Singapore you never need to look at weather forecasts.
When I travel to cooler places (which is anywhere not tropical to be honest) I tend to drink lots of red wines as they taste better there!

I have mixed views of 2004s, as I don't think they are well balanced, at least at this point in time.
There is a tart acidity to many of them and I am not sure it will really come into balance. Time will tell.
I would say 04 is a bit like 2001 with its firm tannins and also 2002 with its acidity, yet I would choose either of those in preference (though 02 wasn't as good in St Emilion as in the central Medoc).
I would rate 06 ahead of 04 by some way. It is not a great vintage but a pretty good one, and the right bank wines are pleasant to drink now or soon.

Having said that, I think that most vintages are interesting for what they are - a product of the vintage.
I will think about buying some 2015s on indent after loading up on 09s and 10s and not buying anything since.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

The 2005 has been excellant and still a ways off from peak but those that like em young this is very nice. Too bad they've sold out because they've been on a bit of a roll since 2000 quality wise.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

Just got an email from TWCW offering 06 l'Arrosee for $33, and mags for $67.

They have other vintages too.

I paid more a while ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That property seems to always be priced low. It must be a poor wine, no?
Otherwise, why would a seemingly well situated right bank estate be priced 10-20 percent of what other area wines go for?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

L'Arosée was recently bought by Haut Brion.

I wouldn't be surprised if we started hearing more about them.

Alex R.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I am a huge fan of this chateau's work from the 80's. Quite Burgundian with the acids driving the action, so aromatic and pretty.

I think Gilman doesn't like the newer style and after seeing the new design with the heavy bottle, I've steered clear. This note is making me rethink that policy. Thanks.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JimHow wrote:That property seems to always be priced low. It must be a poor wine, no?
Otherwise, why would a seemingly well situated right bank estate be priced 10-20 percent of what other area wines go for?
There is some weirdness going on with new ones. Estate has been dissolved as a brand, and vineyards grapes will now go into Quintus or some other fantastical sounding name.

I suppose the fact that it was a lighter styled Grand Cru, in a market where those attributes are not desired, hurt its trading prices.

Maybe in a perfect world they could have gotten themselves up to $100ish or something, where their peak vintages may occasionally trade.

But I guess they just decided it was easier to sell and let the new guys figure it out.

The terroir was worth something, presumably since the GC AOC could be passed on, (correct me if I'm wrong on that!), and land generally finds its best & highest use over time.

Also it seemed like the unsold stocks of 04,06 and a couple of other vintages languishing stateside were being blown out.

My belief is that it traded maybe 40% cheap to cohorts, but again, not everyone likes lighter St Emilions.

When tasted in blind comparison panels, its tough for them. Even if they might be the more interesting wine over a longer dinner, by themselves.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Agree through the 80s this had some stunning character and most notably a nose that that is unforgettable. The 82,83 and 86 are ones I've had multiple times and wish I could have more. I think they lost their step through the 90's and certainly didn't compete with the big bold American styled Pavie etc. They remained an elegant traditional style Bordeaux that I'm amazed Jim H never locked on to. Good QPR and through the 2000s not sure if winemaker changed or what but started seeing more fruit extraction and not in a bad way. The 90s vintages often lacked fruit and higher on acidity from my recollection. I think they definitely flew under the radar and as they were picking up steam they sold out. Not sure why but as you have said great terroir and under priced so the guys with deep pockets Domaine Clarence Dillon aka Haut Brion have bought them out and will merge with the adjacent Chateau Quintus as per AKR.

"In June 2011, Domaine Clarence Dillon, owners of Château Haut-Brion and Château La Mission Haut-Brion, acquired a beautiful estate in Saint-Emilion, today renamed Château Quintus.
In October 2013, Château Quintus in turn acquired the neighbouring property, Château L’Arrosée, and these two exceptional estates are now united in order to produce one of the very finest wines of Saint-Emilion.
“By uniting these two exceptional estates we have improved our team’s ability to make one of the very finest wines of Saint-Emilion. This merger of equals will prove that the whole can be greater than the two parts. I am confident that this vineyard will soon come to rival its Domaine Clarence Dillon siblings as one of the finest wines of our region” Prince Robert of Luxembourg (President, Quintus SAS). "
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think the "whole being greater than the parts" is this part:

Tertre Daugay $20-$30

+

l'Arrosee $35-$60

=======================

Quintus $100+

Win, win for everyone!

Wall St. loves these kinds of mergers.........
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I lost count on how many wonderful rive gauche '04's I've tasted
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Never had a L'Arrosée, but read many time it 80's glory!

And this weekend, I hope I'mll start something glorious about the 2012 l'Oratoire de Chasse Spleen!

Nic
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks,
Never occurred to me that there will be no more Lárossee.
I recall drinking this wine in the 80s at moderate prices.
Seriously, the last vintage I had before the 06 was the 88.

The wine will not appeal to those wanting traditional St Emilion, due to the obvious new oak.
Yet it was a nice wine with no pretentions to greatness.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Definitely l'Arrosse has changed their style through the 2000s. In the 80s they were classic elegant St Emillion. Lost their way through the 90s but more recently they modernized production with more extraction,oak etc. Yes new world style but not in an offensive way. I think the 05s will round out nicely with time.
Danny
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

I don't have a problem with more modern style St Emilions provided that they aren't totally overdone.
I would not have picked this wine as St E in a blind tasting, but it was quite a nice wine.
I checked the wine fridge and I have a few more bottles left, so will leave it for a while and see what develops.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I have the 2005 and 6 as Bettane praised them and "lighter"/"Burgundian" style of St Emilion appeals to me. I may need to taste them soon as I don't have a clue about their worth.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Antoine
I don't think that there is any hurry to drink.
I'll try it again in a few years to see what develops.
The wine was a good dark colour and medium bodied.
It isn't what I'd call Burgundian to be honest. On the nose, it did have a sweet, rose like character - in fact, it reminded me of some Australian Grenache based wines, almost like a red fruit pastille.
I would say that the fruit is "soft" in that it is quite round and with fruit sweetness, not the older style St Emilion that was more tannic and herby when young.
Though there is still a fair bit of tannin and acid; it is not a fruit bomb.

I think JimHow said its now about $33 on offer, and I think it is a nice wine at that price point, mature but with time left.
Yet it isn't the L'arossee I recall a few decades ago.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Thanks Claudius! Will not hurry but not quite sure this will be my style anymore from your post. So am probably going to open a 2006in the coming months and leave the 2005 for later