TN: 00 Lafon Rochet [St Estephe]

AKR

TN: 00 Lafon Rochet [St Estephe]

Post by AKR »

00 Lafon Rochet [St Estephe] Served cool and decanted, over a few days, with ribs one night and lamb meatballs another. First bottle from a case purchased EP and properly stored since delivery. Best on the first night, tails off on day 3, despite being sealed with no air in a 375ml. Earthy, still serious tannin lurking here, like the rough burr of an unshaven face. Fruit is on leaner, tart side. There is a hint of mint in the nose and palate. My recollection is that the 1996 version, revisited in the late fall, was deeper and denser, although that was not side by side with a 2000. Medium bodied but the longer I sip this, the more I think this really needs food to handle the drying tannins and 30 second graphite tasting finish. Edges are not lightening yet. I'd have thought this would have shown better at sweet sixteen. I'd give it a B+, no rush to drink it, maybe a bottle or two per year. I'm tapping this up on the third day, finishing the last slurps, but it was better on the first day so maybe I'm being unbalanced here. In the space of a few decades this estate has gone from a sleeper classified growth into a very popular wine among enthusiasts. e.g. take a look at how few older vintages (say pre 1995) are held in people's collective cellars on CT vs. modern ones.
Jay Winton

Re: TN: 00 Lafon Rochet [St Estephe]

Post by Jay Winton »

I almost opened a bottle of this the other night so thanks for the TN.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This sounds like another anecdote supporting the Blanquito assertion that 1996 is the only exception Lafon Rochet.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I cannot seem to recall the 2003 although I must have had it at some point.

That year is well regarded of course.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I had the 2003 Lafon Rochet several times early on. It was good and a bit more concentrated than the norm here. I found it quite serviceable and decent QPR in the $30s, but it lacked inspiration, so I never laid any down. Would be fun to try again.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Revisiting this old friend!
Popped and poured at 57F the first night
Popped and poured at 57F the first night
The 2000 Lafon Rochet [St Estephe] is cool, lean, austere even on the first night when popped and poured with burgers and fries. (The burgers were too ugly, misshapen to present here...Kid #2 requested the 'heart shaped' one) It shows all the usual funk, earth and clay/acid at first. Color is a mature garnet, but little bricking. 24 hours later, this rouge has richened up, and is now quite delicious. It's fully mature, and nearly all the tannins are gone, but there's a little hint left behind, and despite the solar vintage, a little acidity too. It's fine without food, but is a classy gulp with beef. Very impressive how much 24 hours of air adds body to this, with rhubarb, celery seed flavors during the evolution. I need to use my decanters more, and not just when company is here! I'd still give this a B+ or so grade. I was more into this style when younger, but now like other kinds of wines than this heavily sedimented chunker.
served with burgers and left over home made oven baked steak fries
served with burgers and left over home made oven baked steak fries
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

Thanks for sharing. I have two bottles of this and one is in the "ready-to-go" part of the cellar, the waiting area for wines I feel are fully mature.

I am intrigued that the wine showed much better a full day later.
That is because I almost never wait that long or, if so, it's just a little bit left over at the bottom of the decanter.

I nearly sytematically decant red wines I serve at home, even if there are just two of us.

All the best,
Alex
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that you are not keeping some ml of wine you are tasting until the next day. I always do that, whenever it's bottled wine or barrel sample. Wines react differently, and I remember Phelan Segur 2019 coming around after two days wait!

Recently I had a vertical of St.E. Grand Cru, and wines were fine the first day but went completely dead the next day. I had some barrel samples 2020 keeping well for one week!!

Saint-Estephes need air.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Izak,

If the wine is good, we usually finish it :-).

OK, some wines can be better the next day, but I tend to be sceptical.

You say yourself "Recently I had a vertical of St.E. Grand Cru, and wines were fine the first day but went completely dead the next day."

All the best,
Alex
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m most impressed by Arv's skill at pouring the exact amount necessary so that when the glass is laid on its side the wine extends to the very rim without spilling over.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Arv is a damned impressive man period.

He is a man who loves Lafon Rochet and Faugeres, wines of distinction.

Too bad we won't see AKR in DC. I've been promising Michel-P I'll get out to the left coast, maybe after my Alaska trial this winter.