Mmmm sipping on this beautiful, $26, 2012 Barde Haut….

JimHow

Mmmm sipping on this beautiful, $26, 2012 Barde Haut….

Post by JimHow »

Man, what a beautiful wine this is! Just uncorked it, a splendid floral bouquet, just lovely pure purple color. This will drink well young and for 15 or more years. At $26, what a great bargain.
Nicklasss

Re: Mmmm sipping on this beautiful, $26, 2012 Barde Haut….

Post by Nicklasss »

I like you Jim when you like wine like that one. What not to like?

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This wine is gorgeous Nic. I have about 12 bottles left but I'm gonna buy another case from MacArthur, they have more coming in next month. I'll bring you a few when we have dinner in Quebec this summer.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sound great.

What do you think of other Barde Haut vintages?
stefan

Post by stefan »

It sounds better than the 2007 Villa i Cipresso Brunello we drank while eating pasta with a roasted tomato sauce. It is good, to be sure, but there are so many good Brunellos out there that I probably won't buy this one in the future.

Now we are off to a Tony Bennett concert. It is even money whether he will die of old age before going on stage.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow, Tony Bennett. You lucky bums!

I've loved these post 2000 Barde Hauts, Patrick, the 2005, 2009 and 2010 are all going to be longer lived but I loved them in their infancy. I think this is a step up from Haut Bergey (and that's not a knock on Haut Bergey). There's something about this 2012, though, that I'm just finding so seductive. This is the second time I've had it and I'm enjoying it at least as much the second time around. I don't want it to close down! And it is half the price of the others, which seem to go for $40-50 these days.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We saw Tony Bennett a few years ago. It was a decent show. Not something I would have gone to on my own. But the wife likes him.

I liked Barde Haut in 98, 99, 00 but have not tasted recent ones. I think they are making better wines than a similar producer, Faugeres, at least from that era.

Fifteen years ago I would not have thought that, but aging has been kind to the B-H wines I think.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I have a bunch of the 05 Barde Haut. Tanzer really seems to like this chateau, I think he gave the 05 93 pts, very high for him. I've been avoiding my 05s in general, fearing they're closed up for business.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Same here. I have my case of 2005 Barde Haut sitting atop my case of 1998 Pape Clement, but still near the bottom of the pile. I remember drinking a single bottle of the '05 Barde Haut. Loved it. So much so, I bought a case. But I also recognized that it'll be a longer-lived wine.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The concert was surprisingly good. Magic still comes from Tony Bennett after almost 90 years, and he still brings the right emotional edge to songs. He mixed up his classics with less well known songs to great advantage. The house was sold out and the audience loved him—he got six (sic) standing ovations; that we had never seen where we live. Against great odds, there were no heart attacks during the performance as far as we could tell.

Now Lucie and I will finish the 2007 Villa i Cipresso Brunello while watching an episode of Game of Thrones.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

What happened to the real Jim How since I last posted? I've lost track of all the tasty right bank wines you've been writing love letters about!

I have good news for you as you are now a Barde Haut fan. 2015 is the best Barde Haut I have ever tasted!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Put me down for a case!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
I wonder if the 1998 Pape Clement is at its apogee now?
I have several bottles of this stuffed in the back of the wine fridge.

In relation to 2012, I didn't buy anything from that vintage and am wondering what you think of it beyond the Barde Haut?
The wines are now going at reasonable prices at present (and that's not common in Singapore).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Marc, I've really enjoyed Haut Bergey and the few right bank 2012s that I've tried: Corbin, Barde Haut, Larcis Ducasse, La Fleur de Bouard.

I have found them very expressive, floral, open, velvety, nonintrusive alcohol, pure purple color, medium bodied but not "soft." They have a nice balance to them with just enough structure. It seems to me these will be very pleasant early drinkers and they've been selling in the very attractive $25-30 price range.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jeff, I was just reading your note on the 2005 Barde Haut. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to crack open my case and give it a try?