2000 Les Haut de Smith

dstgolf

2000 Les Haut de Smith

Post by dstgolf »

A pleasant surprise and disappointment at the same time. The disappointment was my own stupidity. When I saw these bottles on sale at the SAQ in Montreal the label was identical to Smith Haute Lafite and I made the wrong conclusion...what a great deal. I was checking some stock last week and pulled out these bottles assuming it was the 1st wine only to be a little confused when I looked more closely. I could have sworn the wine on sale at the time was the SHL and not their second wine so I'm not sure what the real story is in retrospect. Did I grab the wrong bottles off the shelf or was it their second wine. Regardless I'll accept making a mistake. My only disappointment now is with this wine being soooo good I'd love to retry the 1st wine. The only time we've had it was at a restaurant in Paris in 2005 and it was way too young and therefore I ignored these til last week.

With grilled rib steak and yes BBQ season has sprung up north! This was much better than expected and struck way above a second wine's expectation. More Pauillac than Pessac to me. Strong graphite, black cherry/cassis and ripe tannins with long smooth finish. Lacked cedar and or leather notes I'd expect from the terroir. Far from completely evolved which also surprised me. This is still lively with nice acidity and nice mouthfeel. It just makes me want to retry the SHL. No true disappointments in the mouth just disappointed that I didn't get to enjoy the 1st wine in its glory
Danny
Nicklasss

Re: 2000 Les Haut de Smith

Post by Nicklasss »

I had the 2012 Hauts de Smith not so long ago, and guess what? Also hit above it second wine status. Dense, rich, blackcurrants, smokes, spices and oak. Some light blueberries too. It was our favorite that night. Contestants were 2009 Chateau Carolle, an inexpensive Graves that was very convenient and good too, and the 2009 Chateau La Fleur Pourret, affordable St-Émilion from the Manoncourt family. Great complex St-Émilion, and balanced. Danny, try to find a bottle of the St-Émilion, and enjoy over 2-3 hours. I think you'll like.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic

Just looked for the La Fleur Pourret on line at SAQ and only 1 bottle in Blainville and 6 in Chandler in the entire province and none in Ontario. What I'm enjoying though is 2009 is stellar across the board and I have not had a wine yet that hasn't been an outstanding QPR. The value is certainly in these lesser lights for sure and there are hundreds of them out there.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've started seeing current releases of this locally, and they go for the same prices as the grand vin did 20 years ago. Ouch.

Never tried one.