NM on BDX15

AKR

NM on BDX15

Post by AKR »

Neil released his report this morning. Hopefully this isn't pushing the bounds of 'fair use' too much, but here's his summary.

The Lowdown

The headlines for the Bordeaux vintage are as follows:

1) Generally, 2015 is an excellent vintage. Across the region, the wines do not possess the consistency demonstrated by 2009 or 2010 at this stage, though you could argue that it might pip the quality of 2005 due to subsequent advances in technology and know-how. Certainly, I cannot remember the 2005s displaying such fine tannin, although they did show more density and structure out of barrel.

2) As mentioned in this introduction, quality is not geographically uniform. The best wines tend to be in the southern Médoc, specifically Margaux and Pessac-Léognan, across the Right Bank in Saint Emilion and Pomerol, then into several satellite appellations. Limestone soils and vineyards with a healthy proportion of Cabernet Franc produced many of the vintage's peaks. Elsewhere, it is a little patchier for sure, but with many gems to be found.

3) The heady peaks of 2015 stand shoulder to shoulder with 2009 and 2010. I am not certain everyone will agree with that, however, there is a small cluster of wines that will be benchmarks for their respective estates. This is where there is a conjunction of favorable climatic conditions, propitious terroir and clever winemaking practiced by a clever winemaker.

4) In terms of barrel samples, the red 2015s demonstrated bright and lucid colors; vivid and highly perfumed, often quite floral aromatic profiles allied with fine and unobtrusive tannins that often lend them velvety textures. Samples were relatively easy to taste compared to 2000, 2005 and 2010. Acidity levels tend towards low pH levels thanks to the cool September nights, thereby imparting a great deal of freshness that is often crucial in counterbalancing their opulence. The 2015s' silky textures might tempt some wine-lovers into drinking them early, however...

5) ...The best 2015s have the substance, balance and complexity to merit long-term aging. My fear, one shared with winemakers, is that many of these 2015s will not be given the opportunity to reach their plateau of maturity after 20, 30 or 40 years. That would be a crying shame. There are plenty of wines that are born to drink earlier and will give just as much pleasure.

6) It is clear that the northern reaches Médoc were affected by the September rain. That does not imply that they are poor or not worth consideration (depending on prices). On the contrary, many are very good. It is simply that when juxtaposed with their counterparts further south, in areas unaffected by rain, you can discern that potential quality in the final blend was compromised, despite Herculean efforts by some winemaking teams.

7) Most Saint Emilion 2015s possess alcohol levels between 14.3%-14.8%, though it should be remembered that this is a result of Nature - the arid summer, optimal amount of showers and then a dry, warm September - rather than premeditated manipulation of alcohol levels through excessively late picking or warm fermentation temperatures. Consequently, I found that many, though not all of these wines, retain their balance and terroir expression - particularly on limestone soils.
AKR

Re: NM on BDX15

Post by AKR »

Also I would note that the number of articles, length, and content are far beyond what Parker was doing.

I'm not convinced my palate lines up with his but the writing is very informative.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

From these comments, what came instantly to my mind : is 2015 a modern (and improved) 1983? If so, very interesting.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nice write up. Though it's hard to see that technology and know how could really have changed notably since 2005, it's not like this is a new wine region still figuring things out. Maybe Neal drank some of the Parker-Leve koolaid that there's a relentless march foward in skill, tools, quality in modern winemaking.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Liv-ex posted the below today and gives a good comparison chart of the ratings from various critics, enjoy!

http://www.blog.liv-ex.com/bordeaux-201 ... tic-scores
stefan

Post by stefan »

I am glad to see that La Lagune is not on the list.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

2005 versus 2015? Well, technology is advancing. Soon we will have self-drinking wines. And of course they will be much, much better than the wines we used to drink ourselves.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:2005 versus 2015? Well, technology is advancing. Soon we will have self-drinking wines. And of course they will be much, much better than the wines we used to drink ourselves.
Lol. Humor quote of the year!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

"My fear" is that no one understands these wines like I do. They may, most of them, be drunk up in the first 20 years of life, not like they used to be. What a crock of shit. Jim, I'm calling bullshit on pretty much everything except BWE.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think you may be right, AlohaArtakaHoundsong….
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I am glad to see that La Lagune is not on the list.
likewise Barde Haut.. A wine quietly emerging as a BWE wine of the year candidate, in my book.

the first non-left bank BWE wine of the year?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Guys see the huge scores for the 2015 Canon? Fairly new wine maker there, I recall.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes first year under the new wine maker I believe.
I personally loved our visit to Canon last spring, seemed like they really had their act together.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some of the best regarded wines are made in quite small quantities compared to the big Medoc estates - Canon, Figeac, VCC etc.

It seems unlikely that there will be any restraint by the estates and trade on those names.