BYOB in Boston

JimHow

BYOB in Boston

Post by JimHow »

DavidG

Re: BYOB in Boston

Post by DavidG »

"Some restaurants." Wonder how much this will really open things up. I think the discussion on WB by people who read this closely suggested it won't be as wide open as thought.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, New England is not exactly the beacon of progressivism when it comes to liquor laws.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think BYO can be accretive for retaurants if they play it well.

Offer it gratis on slow nights, or price the service at a level that is profit neutral vs. patrons having a drink by the glass.

If guests drink more, however that happens, I suspect they order more ancillary high profit items like desserts, sides, apps etc.

The whole problem for the trade is that a govt issued liquor license was allowed to turn into a private piece of property, that people had invested money into, and that's what makes the trade angry. My general view on issues of that nature, whether its taxi medallions or liquor licenses or what not, is that if someone follows a clear set of regulations, they should be issued a license. The market can determine the optimal amount of whatever that item is. It should not be used as a medieval guild like tool to constrain competition.

I remember hearing / reading somewhere that California has something like 800 licensed trades. Maybe its understandable in the rare cases where the customer cannot judge the quality of the work, and the 'craft' is irrevocable, maybe like a brain surgeon or something. But its counterproductive to require licenses for people to paint a fence, or a trim a tree. We have county inspectors who scurry around rousting laborers doing that kind of work.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Does this mean that BWE-2018 will be in Boston?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Perhaps 2019, I still like the DC-every-other-year routine.
I was talking to one of the managers at Charlie Palmer.
Our visits are a big deal to them.
They know all about us, they even knew all about me.
California '17
DC '18
Boston or Chicago in '19?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Just because a city/state passes a law permitting BYOB it doesn't mean the restauranteurs just jump at the offer. We've had the ability for restaurants to apply for a separate BYOB license for around 15 years. The restaurants that have gone in that direction may have no corkage Sun/Mon nights and then a few ranging from $10-35 at other times during the week. It has taken a long time for it to catch on and it still is the minority that participate. The restaurants certainly don't advertise the fact that the corkage policy is in place and you have to ask around. There are enough good restaurants to make it pleasant and I think it's a win win for those that do have a corkage policy. If the fee is high enough you avoid people bringing in the $10-15 bottle and it encourages the food and wine lovers to go out more often. In the past it was better to stay at home and cook for friends to open some good stuff. Now you go out and don't have to put in 2-3 days of prep work for a dinner party.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

dstgolf wrote:Just because a city/state passes a law permitting BYOB it doesn't mean the restauranteurs just jump at the offer. We've had the ability for restaurants to apply for a separate BYOB license for around 15 years. The restaurants that have gone in that direction may have no corkage Sun/Mon nights and then a few ranging from $10-35 at other times during the week. It has taken a long time for it to catch on and it still is the minority that participate. The restaurants certainly don't advertise the fact that the corkage policy is in place and you have to ask around. There are enough good restaurants to make it pleasant and I think it's a win win for those that do have a corkage policy. If the fee is high enough you avoid people bringing in the $10-15 bottle and it encourages the food and wine lovers to go out more often. In the past it was better to stay at home and cook for friends to open some good stuff. Now you go out and don't have to put in 2-3 days of prep work for a dinner party.
I don't really even get the objection to the person bringing the cheap bottle. Is that person really a prospect for buying a $100 wine off the list? I kind of doubt it. Now they've gotten the person to visit, and dine. Ok if the restaurant has a 3month waiting list, and has moved to tasting course style dinners to maximize their revenues, sure I can get the desire to keep checks high, and corkage banned.

But that's a sliver of restaurants. Most places make a go of it for a few years and then lose their way, chef, customers or what not -- and then the 'under remodeling' sign goes up.

We went out last night to a place that doesn't charge corkage, and its packed, busy, hopping. I doubt many of the patrons knew or cared about corkage given how fair they are for wine pricing. Food is priced on the higher side (I think) but the booze there is cheap e.g. a bottle of Roederer Estate is $22 which is unbelievable. Somehow they've made it work.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

AKR

Post by AKR »

If they really can get BYOB going there, it might be worth a visit. I lived there 5 years and hardly ever go back. Maybe once a decade tops. People at work try to send me to conferences there, thinking that I'll like that, nope. It's one f'd up place. Maybe they'll fix the BYOB thing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, Boston is a wonderfully complicated place. It's the whole New England Puritan, Catholic guilt thing.
A lot of it has to do with the complicated seasons, I think.
Great city though. But, yes, fucked up in the head.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The whole 'beer kegs are devices of mass inebriation and need to be registered with police' is a particular inanity.

My state is moving toward making the purchase of cigarettes an age 21 category item now.

The nanny state expansion continues unabated.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:Yes, Boston is a wonderfully complicated place. It's the whole New England Puritan, Catholic guilt thing.
A lot of it has to do with the complicated seasons, I think.
Great city though. But, yes, fucked up in the head.
Complicated seasons? I thought it was f'n winter punctuated by a few weeks of f'n road repair. And f'n crazy drivers all year round. Seems pretty simple to me...