It will be Beaujolais tonight

Nicklasss

It will be Beaujolais tonight

Post by Nicklasss »

A 2014 Régnié from a producer I will try for the first time. Supposed to be something special.

More later.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: It will be Beaujolais tonight

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2014 Régnié from Julien Sunier is a perfect gamay, organic. This producer has worked with all the other "natural" wine producers from Beaujolais.

What you noticed first is that nice medium red cloudy wine. On the nose little red berries, dark berries, cola, cranberries aromas. Perfumed for sure. But it is in mouth that the Gamay is screaming! Easy to drink, with that nice light red berries and purple berries character, flowers flavors. Also, nice medium presence, good acidity, some red beets, light herb, lots of minerals. Long mineral finish. Stay aerial all the time, but convenient all the time, but good presence all the time. An excellent wine, even for warm days around the pool with roasted cauliflower. Tn: 90-91.

Each different wine go with different mood or weather or people. Today was the warmest day of spring here, and for that reason, i wanted gamay. And not a bad choice at all.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

I need more wines like that.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

But after two hours, the mouth was drowning. I think this happens sometime with organic wine, not being intense and stable for more than 90-120 minutes...

I would downgrade it by 2 points after 120-140 minutes...

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What is the height of Beaujolais? How good does it get? Does it get good at all?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I like Beaujolais, but of course never compare with Bordeaux. Gamay is giving a quaffable wine. Flowery, fruity, granitic, but most of the time light to medium weight, enjoyable. On warm days, perfect lightly chilled. Low tannins, good acidity, and one of the most important quality for a wine: bottle get empty in no time. Always a good sign.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree with Nic. Flowery, fruity and granitic are great general descriptors. I would add that there are some Bojo producers making a more serious, weighty wines that drink fine young but can also improve with age. Great balance and less sweetness than the ubiquitous Duboeufs. Not as serious as classed growth Bordeaux, but often excellent QPR. Try some Morgons, Moulin-à-Vents or Fleuries from Jadot's Chateau des Jacques, Jean-Paul Brun's Domaine des Terres Dorées or Jean-Paul Thevenet's Vieilles Vignes.