2012 Les Hauts de Smith

Nicklasss

2012 Les Hauts de Smith

Post by Nicklasss »

A second bottle, of that second wine, in now so long.

Dark crimson red, nose is complex, intense, nice, with grape, smoke, spices, mineral, green tobacco, light vanilla, blackberries, and blackcurrants. In mouth, well made, fresh tobacco, black plums, rich, noble oak, black prunes, smoke, some light austerity, long. I guess that everyone who don't believe in second wine, should try that. Smoke and almost peaty (like a scotch!). I like Graves! Tn: 91.

Nic
JimHow

Re: 2012 Les Hauts de Smith

Post by JimHow »

now we had that in france, right?
we need to hook up with the Cathiards in NYC or DC within the next years.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I remember that wine. Very good indeed for a second wine.

The visit to SHL was one of many unforgettable experiences on that trip.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Ian, that was a magical late afternoon/evening at SHL. I'll never forget their humble hospitality towards us. I'd like to see if we could do something with the Cathiards, Anabelle, and Alfred here whenever they might be stateside.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I wish I knew how to get some copies of those pictures printed up, I'd like to send some to SHL, Corbin, and Pontet Canet with invitations to do tastings as our guests in NYC or wherever when they are in the US.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Wonderful memories from SHL visit. The Cathiards giving us their time with the Japanese delegation visiting and then on to the tasting which did include the 2012 LHdS which we thought was a little lacking. Danielle hit the nail on the head asking the winemaker where the petit verdot had gone and he apologized saying they had a poor supply forcing them to leave it out of the blend for the second wine. It lacked some spiciness and depth. The winemaker was impressed that Danielle recognized the shortcoming and was so impressed he came to our table after the main dinner and chatted with Danielle and Nic in French/English having a few laughs. Maybe it was the fact that the most laughs were coming from our table and he wanted to join in. Alex was just roaring that night and the laughs just kept rolling. Tears were running down our faces we were laughing so hard at times. A very memorable night for SHL hospitality but a classic BWE evening of frivolity!!
Danny
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I like this wine quite a bit but at the price here $39 it's a pass
It has nice pessac character and form structure
If this was $25 I would be an extremely happy drinker.