2013 for the Long Haul

NoahR

2013 for the Long Haul

Post by NoahR »

Was wondering on thoughts about the fairy widely panned 2013 vintage. It happens to be my wedding year and while I have some decent Cali Cab, I have zero Bordeaux for long term aging. I am wondering if there were some true stars of the vintage that can be had for relatively low prices given how poorly regarded the vintage was in general. And any sources for large format appreciated as well.

Thanks!
JimHow

Re: 2013 for the Long Haul

Post by JimHow »

Noah:

The 2013 Pontet Canet was good but scarce.

Here is the video of our BWE tasting at La Lagune last spring, including the 100% Cabernet 2013 La Lagune:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kZaUnaPF8
stefan

Post by stefan »

IMO 2013 is the worst vintage for Bordeaux since 1984.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

stefan wrote:IMO 2013 is the worst vintage for Bordeaux since 1984.
Not exactly. For the red wines, it is the worst vintage since 1973. But the white wines are great and so are Sauternes.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The Sauternes/Barsac will probably be very cheap because of a) the general lack of love and b) they will pick up the bad connotations that the dry reds have in 2013.

We had a 2013 Carmes de Rieussec recently that was very solid, and it was only $10.50 for a half bottle at Costco. The quality had little relation to the price.

If that's an indication of the level of where the bigger/better wines might get thrown overboard at, maybe you can hunt around for those.

They last a long time of course.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I was being kind to the vintage, Jeff, and of course was referring to red wines. The buying opportunity for Sauternes looks very good.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree with the comments about Sauternes/Barsac being your best bet in Bordeaux. Plus it's sweet, which is always a nice thing to celebrate many years of a sweet union. Even better if you can find a mag or two to open for a large gathering on your 20th or 25th or so...

You can splurge on some Yquem, and for a more reasonable outlay I would also look at Climens, Coutet and Rieussec.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Coutet 2015 seems to be the buzz….
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

like $21 for 2015 Coutet half bottles at zachys
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

Assuming you mean 2013?

Is Coutet good enough at that price that I won't feel bad for buying a half case of it instead of a bottle of Yquem?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No, I just veered off into Sauternes 2015. I have no idea about Sauternes 2013.
AKR

Post by AKR »

NoahR wrote:Assuming you mean 2013?

Is Coutet good enough at that price that I won't feel bad for buying a half case of it instead of a bottle of Yquem?
Coutet makes a very good dessert wine, very consistent. It doesn't reach the heights of Yquem, or Climens, but its also usually a bit edgier, showing more acid/verve than other estates. It's one of the two estates I most consistently try to keep on hand.

Sauternes doesn't need to be purchased EP. I say that as someone who has done so, and realized the foolishness of that over time.

Perhaps, at some point, the extraordinary market opportunity in Sauternes will be over, and I'll wonder at the insanity of it all:

Between 2001-2015 there has been a run (mostly odd numbered) of great vintages. And despite the labor intensiveness of their creation, the sheer pleasure they bring to special dinners, celebrations etc., their age worthiness, uniqueness etc. they are basically available for a song (ex Yquem). The producers are giving up and turning over more production to dry whites, which may not really get them any more per bottle, but at least is easier to make, and can be sold perhaps faster without the need for as much barrel aging. US consumers just don't seem to consume the sweet stuff. btw Rieussec has some particular market weirdness to note - from what I understand it's tied to the DBR lineup. So if merchants want (easy to sell) Duhart Milon, Lafite Rothschild, l'Evangile etc. the trade has to accept Rieussec in proportion. Despite its brilliance, it's hard to sell at the proposed launch prices. So it can get discounted if one pays attention. (I mentioned in the deals thread once that 2008 in case lots was $31 per earlier this year) I suppose the Lafite prices get inflated to subsidize the trade's loss on the Rieussec.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Noah,

I will be going to an in-depth tasting of 2013s on June the 4th
http://ugcb.net/fr/wgc

I'll let you know what I think.

Alex