Some news from François Audouze

François Audouze

Some news from François Audouze

Post by François Audouze »

I was informed that some messages in the discussion : “3 Bdx & a Burg” suggested that I could be dead. It is interesting to see (better when you are alive) that :
- I am not alone to have difficulties with the English language : the "late" François was read as the "dead" François
- If I were dead, the Earth would continue to turn around itself, as it did not give an overflow of emotion.

But it gives me the opportunity to give some news about me, for those of you who would be interested to read :
I am no more a regular reader of BWE because I have many other occupation. But I have some news by Tim as we rather often share wines together. The last time was a very great dinner in London and my ranking was : 1 - Château Palmer 1921, 2 - Hermitage M. de la Sizeranne M. Chapoutier 1949, 3 - Château Branaire (Duluc-Ducru) 1945 4 - Quinta do Noval Vintage Port 1975.

We will meet with Tim on Thursday for the 26th meeting of the Academy for Ancient Wines. It is a nonprofit activity that I have founded and for this time 32 people will share 50 wines spread in three groups.

I continue with the paying dinners which give me the occasion to open rare wines of my cellar. The 200th dinner will be made on May 25. I am rather proud to have attained 200 dinners with 2,213 wines of my cellar shared with amateurs. This activity creates losses, and I will be obliged to bring new capital.

On a other hand I open more and more wines with friends and I was happy to share a 1929 Les Gaudichots DRC with Aubert de Villaine who accepted my invitation.

I continue my exploration of old wines, and I have now drunk 172 vintages on 5 centuries because my oldest wine was a 1690 wine. On my blog where all what I drink is mentioned, I have more than 13,000 wines described including 4,200 wines before 1970.

I have celebrated with my wife our 50th wedding anniversary and for the occasion I opened a 2010 Romanée Conti because I love young wines too.

I am sorry to be no more active on this very friendly forum on which we had passionate discussions. I remember the fights with Alex who could not imagine that a wine of the 30ies or the 20ies could be alive. I think that things have changed concerning the acceptation of the liveliness of old wines.

I wish BWE the best, and I would consider positively to attend some events that you organize because the trip to Bordeaux in May 2005 with a quick visit to Beaune with a 1929 Pommard Rugiens Bouchard Père & Fils belongs to my best memories with also the reception by Corinne Mentzelopoulos.

So, all the best to all of you and I expect from you many more reactions when I really pass away.

Cheers
JimHow

Re: Some news from François Audouze

Post by JimHow »

Ha yes I knew you were still alive Francois, as fresh and fit as a 2010 DRC Romanee Conti. Congratulations on your 50th!
I am pleased to see you drinking young wines!
We will have to get you to a BWE convention soon.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Like Lazarus, he has arisen! Is there no end to the miracles the interwebs can perform?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

François,

I was positively (in both senses of the word) startled when I read: "I have celebrated with my wife our 50th wedding anniversary and for the occasion I opened a 2010 Romanée Conti because I love young wines too".
Well, heck, I like old wines too :-))))).
The rest is just a matter of preference.

You also wrote "I remember the fights with Alex who could not imagine that a wine of the 30ies or the 20ies could be alive. I think that things have changed concerning the acceptation of the liveliness of old wines."
Oh, I can imagine such things, and have even experienced them. I just can't see the added value in waiting so long.
But, we've been over that...

Congratulations on 50 years of wedded bliss and on the long-term success of Wine Dinners.

I hope you make it to the wine country soon, in which case it would be a pleasure to see you again.

All the best,
Alex
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is good to hear from you, François. Congratulations to you and Silke on the happy occasion of your 50th. Lucie and I will be there in a couple of years if she doesn't kick me out before then. I hope to see you on my next visit to Paris, not that I know when that will be.
François Audouze

Thank you all for your nice words.
I will be happy to meet some members if the opportunity exists.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Hello Francois,

Glad to hear you're alive and kicking!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Bonjour François.

Je suis bien heureux d'avoir de vos nouvelles ici sur BWE. Je peux lire que votre passion pour le vin est toujours grande, et que vous allez bien. Le "wine dinner" du 24 juin 2004 au Grand Véfour me semble si loin, mais est un souvenir impérissable.

Félicitations pour vos 50 ans de marriage, et comme vous êtes comme les vins anciens, c'est-à-dire pratiquement indestructible, je vous souhaite plusieurs autres années de bonheur.

À bientôt, qui sait!

Nic
François Audouze

I remember quite well the dinner in Grand Véfour with Nicklass.
It was a great pleasure.

Thank you for the nice words.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Anniversary Francois. Nice to see you drop in.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

François Audouze wrote: If I were dead, the Earth would continue to turn around itself, as it did not give an overflow of emotion.
Good one!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Francois,

Aren't rumours wonderful. It least it caught your attention and verified that you are alive and well. I was surprised when I saw the message initially and shocked as you looked in peak condition when we got together in Paris last year. Couldn't/wouldn't believe it and was reassured by Tim that he was getting together with you or your ghost who had just sent him an email.

Congrats on your 50th and I/we can't image we've been married 30yrs this year!! Seeing all of those dead soldiers lined up in your house/cellar last year must have been some feet collecting draining and then memorializing each and every one like the tomb of the unknown soldier. You are truly a passionate lover of wines and even though you have not been here on the BWE site actively you have remained firmly entrenched in our minds and will always be part of the extended BWE family. Thankfully you are still on the right side of the grass and that's the best news!!

Danny :P
Danny
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks for the update Francois!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I can confirm that rumours of his death are exaggerated. I had the pleasure of meeting the legend that is Francois Audouze with Tim today in Paris.

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great pic!

I take full credit for all the lifetime, worldwide friendships that have emanated from this site.

Thank you. Thank you very much. No applause necessary.

:mrgreen:
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Yup great sprit, great pictures.

Guys from the US, UK, and France.

Lovely.

Alex R.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Tim is a Frenchie now :)

Great lifelong friendships drawing together people from different walks of life united by their love of wine in general and Bordeaux in particular.

And inspirational visionary leadership and foresight which proves that democracy is not always a first best outcome...Jim How for President!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That is indeed a great picture.
You guys look like a million bucks!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll be having dinner with Michael P this week, will report back.
François Audouze

To be sure that everyone follows this discussion, I am not the one who is in the middle of the picture ! 8-)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice picture of three happy guys! What are the wines? I cannot tell the vintage of the Ducru nor anything else other than you had a Chambertin.

Was Le Gaigne as good as usual?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Le Gaigne was excellent stefan. Tim has his own special table, slightly elevated from the rest of the patrons. He gets the special treatment. The staff are very friendly. Last time I taught one of them Cockney rhyming slang and he was keen to recite some additions to his repertoire.

I asked Tim at short notice and asked him if he could tap up Francois, who had another lunch, but nevertheless dropped in to say hi. I was very excited to meet him for the first time.

Tim and I enjoyed two 1976 burgundies and a 78 Ducru. The Ducru started off well but then a faint corkiness became evident. It wasn't so bad that the wine was blighted but Francois noticed it straight away.

Tim brought a 1976 Mommessin Chambertin Clos De Beze. It was a fine bottle, and better than the one he brought 14 months earlier to the same venue, when we had dinner with MEK.

I brought a 1976 Rion NSG 1er Cru Vignes Rondes, which although it got shaken up on the Eurostar, showed well, and outlasted the Beze. But the Beze was the better wine and really shone for about two hours.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Ian. Corkiness in '78 Ducru is a problem, but good bottles are fantastic. I have not drunk either of those Burgundies.
tim

Post by tim »

Felicitations and Congratulations to Francois, as tonight will be his 200th Winedinners event!
François Audouze

I have made the report on my 200th dinner in English.
I could edit it but I prefer to have the permission of Jim How because even if I have no financial agenda with these dinners, wanting only that my wines are drunk, the dinners are paying dinners.
If Jim allows I will be happy to give the report.

JimHow

Post by JimHow »

By all means Francois, no need to ask for permission, I look forward to the report!!!
François Audouze

I will create a new post.
Thank you very much.