TN: 07 d'Aiguilhe Querre [Cotes de Castillon]

AKR

TN: 07 d'Aiguilhe Querre [Cotes de Castillon]

Post by AKR »

07 d'Aiguilhe Querre [Cotes de Castillon] 13% abv. Popped and poured to go with braised lamb and mashed potatoes. (The SO needed a braising medium so this was nominated, and the balance consumed with dinner) They do not make much of this (maybe 1000-2000 cases?) so although I'd heard about it, never had found any locally until recently, when 2005, 2007, and 2010 all showed up, at different venues. I bought a little across all three vintages, under the logic that this is made by the same owner of Le Moulin, a delicious modern Pomerol, and its imported by Jeffrey Davies, whose portfolio I've enjoyed across the board. The 2007 is ruby hued reflecting a cool, underwhelming vintage and leads off with a vegetal, bell peppery, bitter coffee nose. Aeration, breathing, food, swirling don't diminish that character. I guess there is no real substitution for the lack of degree days 2007 suffered. Not much legs. On the palate its a shade better maybe 15 seconds of finish, but nothing to get enthused about. For some reason when I taste this it reminded me of the 1997 Faugeres and/or 1996 Cap de Faugeres, from so long ago. The wine is functional, but not dense. It's easy to get jaded when one has the luxury of passing on regions for years, but these were the weather patterns and styles of vintages available when I first started enjoying fine wine: 1992 d'Armailhac, 1993 Bon Pasteur, etc. Nature wasn't cooperative for a string of years there. I'll be looking forward to the bigger, better years like 2005 and hope they are more interesting, but this clocks in at a B- or so. And that's for a Francophile palate weaned on this kind of stuff.
AlexR

Re: TN: 07 d'Aiguilhe Querre [Cotes de Castillon]

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

It pleases me to see that you tried a wine from a minor appellation in a much-maligned vintage.
I'm sorry it wasn't up to scratch.

There are some good wines in Castillon and they are never expensive.
But, as you imply, perhaps it makes more sense to seek them out in the richer vintages.

All the best,
Alex
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I had this wine, and liked it a bit more. But to me, at University, B- was still a good score.

Cotes de Castillon, located in South East of Libourne. 80% merlot, 20 % cabernet franc, the "so so" 2007 vintage.

Medium red with light évolution on the rim. Nose is nice, cherry, sweet red berries, herbs, light vanilla oak, light violet flowers. Very nice nose. Mouth has a nice concentration, some confit cherry flavours, light tannins, light oak, rasberries, not powerful, but very nice. Final on earthy minerals, light vegetals ans red berries. A very interesting wine from that 2007 vintage. I like it elegance, even If a bit short. TN : 87. Drinkable now or in the next 2-3 years. Drinks nicely.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

I just got a lot of greenness on it.

I have less than a handful of 2007 BDX and am a bit more suspicious after tasting this.

I'd wanted to get some 2007 Clos St Martin but realize I'd probably have a better experience with just about any 07 Brunello or 07 CNDP.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The SO didn't want any wine with supper tonight, so I popped another bottle of this, since I figured if some was wasted/tossed it would be no big deal. Notes are about the same - bitter notes, a shade underripe and underfruited, accentuated by having ripe yellow peaches while sipping it, as I sauteed supper.

If I have any more left (some might have gone into the offsite unit) I think I will pull them and use them for fall/winter cooking wines. Its just not to my taste.
AKR

Post by AKR »

There was a bottle in my fridge, unopened, in the yogurt drawer strangely enough so I popped it, after finishing a last splash of Cotes du Rhone while prepping dinner. Definitely the worst bottle so far, maybe a C+ or so. This just never ripened to the extent my spoiled palate has gotten used to. Normally I leave cooking level wines on wood rack somewhere else, but this should have been slotted into that pile.

What a difference between the lovely 2005 and the green 2007.