2010 Tour Carnet and a super 2014 Chiroubles

Nicklasss

2010 Tour Carnet and a super 2014 Chiroubles

Post by Nicklasss »

3 days weekend, many dinners, few bottles of wines opened, spring is now there, with temperatures in the low 80's.

I reported on the 2012 Hugel Pinot Noir from Friday, a nice summer wine.

Saturday, a good rosé, the 2015 Chateau La Lieue, Coteaux Varois. Dry, citrus, candy, light red beries. Also had a 2014 Domaine d'Aupilhac Lou Maset, made with lot of Cinsault, nice peppery and spicy red fruits. Drinks well. But Saturday night, the 2014 Chiroubles from Christophe Pacalet is a super organic Gamay. Dark purple, nice creamy nose of flowers, purple grapes, rasberries, a nice moment. Mouth is even better with lots of flavors, grapes, purple flowers, violets, thick, good acidity, and a strong smoky mineral flavors, like having liquid granitic dust! Tn: 90-92. What a nice Cru du Beaujolais!

Sunday, the 2014 Hugel Riesling was ok. Seems rich, but for me, missing acidity, dryness and minerality. The 2014 Régnié from Julien Sunier is good, but nothing compared to Pacalet Chiroubles. The Régnié is fruity but with some strong cherries and kinda light musk flavors. Not as pure, even if again it is an organic wine. Spicy, strawberries, wet earth. Finally excellent, but I preferred the Chiroubles. Tn: 88.

Tonight, with a steak grilled on charcoal (yes, my gas cylinder was empty, so no choice), I opened a bottle of the 2010 Chateau La Tour Carnet. A nice wine from that superb vintage. Dark bloody red color, with a strong nose of concentrated red berries, spices, currants, light minerals, oak, still very young on the nose. Mouth is rich and creamy, on blackcurrant flavors, aromatic cedar, more red berries, with nice tannins, something slightly meaty, grainy oak on the mid-palate, low acidity. Final is decent long with coffee beans, rich darkberries, red berries, minerals, fine sandy tannins. A nice La Tour Carnet. Tn: 91. Even is some would prefer that wine with fish, for me the charcoal tasting of the beef rib steak was a perfect match.

A nice weekend.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri May 27, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Re: 2010 Tour Carnet and a super 2014 Chiroubles

Post by JimHow »

I've got to do a radio program tomorrow morning and then I'm off until next Tuesday, baby doll!
The garden is mostly planted, summer in Maine is nearly here!

How was the 2010 La Tour Carnet?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nice to see the love for La Tour Carnet.
winodiver

Post by winodiver »

Plenty of love here for Tour Carnet. I've been working my way through a case of the 2000. Loved it from the start, but it continues to improve.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I too just cracked my half case of the 2000, maybe last year. Its great stuff. I had never had it before that vintage.