FYI: '98 Tertre Roteboeuf

JScott

FYI: '98 Tertre Roteboeuf

Post by JScott »

Most of you are aware I now refrain from posting formal notes, though I still drink wine. Opened this weekend with grilled lamb chops. I still can't confidently post a reliable note except to say this bottle still has a youthful appearance and vigor and is very much alive and well. Even in my less than full game, it is lovely, with a cherry-mulberry core and cocoa spice. No reason to wait but I also feel confident in holding my remaining bottle a little while longer.
Comte Flaneur

Re: FYI: '98 Tertre Roteboeuf

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Unquestionably wonderful wine when on song, but I think it should be even better. When you think of the combo of positives - Don't get me wrong, wonderful wine, but does it really hit the zenith in the pantheon of right bank 98s? Right now in 2016 it should be knocking off our collective socks. Tim reckoned the 98 we shared with MEK was corked. I would say possibly, it was off the pace a it, not obviously flawed, she thought that it wasn't at all. I have a couple of bottles left. I think I should just hold.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Comte, agree regarding the issue of bottle variation. I've had more good than bad but more bad than I should. Regarding it's place in the vintage, as I mentioned I no longer consider myself a reliable voice on the matter. That said, for me in recent years, it has easily been exceeded by Trotanoy, L'Elise Clinet, Cheval Blanc, L'Evangile, Lafleur and others. I don't now nor have I ever considered it in that peer group. It is a notch or two down, I think, maybe with the Pavies, Clos de l'Oratoire, Troplong and the like? In that group, I think it performs respectably. Depends on your expectations, I guess.....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That sounds about right. I recall it as being a strong B+ effort. That 2012 Clos de l'Oratoire really opened my eyes to that estate.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I haven't checked in a couple of years, but golly most high end 98 RB are hard, tannic wines. Maybe they've opened up since 2013-14? I am still a believer but many seemed like they'd need 20 years when I last gave a look-see.

I should add that I've not tried the 98 Tertre Roteboeuf, so my comment is in general.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Did I hear/read somewhere that Mitjavile had a falling out with RP over something?
JScott

Post by JScott »

Blanquito, honestly my motivation for posting this was because The Bob has the drinking window 2001-16. Reports of its demise are greatly exaggerated, as the man says.