2015: what are you buying?

Gerry M.

Re: 2015: what are you buying?

Post by Gerry M. »

I just stuck my toe in the water and ordered 12 Tour Saint Christophe for $20/each from Table & Vine
zman1974

Post by zman1974 »

New member here. I got the wine bug after taking a wine tasting class on a cruise last year. Stayed away from Bordeaux until recently, but that all changed when I had my first 2009 (Orisse du Casse) a few months ago. Wow...and down the rabbit hole I went.

Having only one bottle of Bordeaux in cellar right now (2009 Leoville-Barton) I felt confident that the 2015 En Primeur would be an excellent chance for me to acquire some cellar-worthy wines at excellent prices. I decided to purchase two cases: one for value and the other for cellaring/special occasions. I purchased my value case yesterday at winex.com:

3 x Tour Saint-Christophe
3 x Durand Laplagne
3 x Fourcas-Dupre
3 x Lusseau

I made these decisions based on reading reviews from Neal Martin and James Suckling. They all appear to represent excellent value; the Durand Laplangne was only $10 a bottle!

Now, on to the harder decision of the high-dollar case. I shop for my wine at Total Wine in Fort Myers, FL, and can purchase my EP wine from them with half down. Therefore, i am upping my budget to $1,000.00 for the case (actually, 15 bottles). Here is what I am getting most likely:

3 x Rauzan-Segla
3 x Giscours
3 x Domaine de Chevalier
2 x Pape Clement
2 x Smith Haut Lafitte
1 x Malartic-Lagraviere
1 x Leoville Barton

Thoughts?
jckba

Post by jckba »

Welcome zman1974! Generally speaking I would say to go with what you like, but as you are a relatively new to the wines of Bdx I would say that it would be in your best interest to taste as many wines as possible whenever you are afforded the opportunity so you can start focusing in on your own likes and dislikes as we all have different palates and preferences.

Onto your picks, looking at your intended higher end purchase, you assembled a bunch of quality producers where my only real comment would be that all of these selections are from the Left bank (granted you do have Saint Emilion selections in your cheaper case purchase). From what I have read as I have not tasted any 2015's myself, the Right bank (Saint Emilion and Pomerol) seems to have hit the ball out of the park in 2015 so I might suggest adding and/or substituting in 1 or 2 from there. It also seems that on the left bank, wines from the southern medoc fared better so your heavy focus on wines from Graves and Margaux were very good choices.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

After suffering from paralysis through analysis I finally followed sticking my toe in the water with the case of Tour Saint Christophe from Table and Vine, I jumped into the deep-end and placed an order with Total WIne for the following:

Smith Haut Lafitte 3 84.97
Pape Clement 3 84.97
Domaine de Chevalier 3 64.97
Giscours 3 49.97
Brane-Cantenac 3 62.97
Malescot 3 47.97
Rauzan-Segla 3 69.97
Fonplegade 2 33.97
Larcis Ducasse 2 64.97
Clos L'Eglise 3 78.97
Clinet 3 89.97
Climens 3 67.97
Leoville Poyferre 3 74.97

I debated getting some Pichon Baron and Lalande but just couldn't justify the price. Who knows, I may change my mind in a few days. The only additional order I plan to put in is for at least a mixed case of 375's of the above. To me it's a big reason to deal with futures since most of the above I've never seen at retail. The smaller bottles are good for me to check the progress of the wine and also since I find myself drinking alone since my wife has severely cut back and it's tough to open a 750 during the week for just me.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Ok, that's it for me. I just ordered a mixed case of 375's of what I previously bought. Damn Total Wine for making it too easy with overall decent pricing(relatively speaking), 50% down and local pick up
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very well done indeed Gerry!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Total Wine getting into the futures racket has to be a sign of Peak Bordeaux
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Even with the high prices here, i bought a few Cantemerle, Grand Mayne, Giscours, Carmes Haut-Brion and Clinet.

Nic
NoahR

Post by NoahR »

2014 was a seemingly quite good year and, at least according to Panos, many of the '14s and 15's were of comparable quality. Went bigger on '14 because of daughter's birth year and have been a bit stingier with the 15's...
Picked up a few
Rauzan Segla
Canon
Giscours
Conseillante
Clinet
Chevalier rouge
Figeac
Leoville Barton
Langoa Barton
Cantemerle
Malescot

Only a few of each.
No firsts or big ticket pomerols.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote:Even with the high prices here, i bought a few Cantemerle, Grand Mayne, Giscours, Carmes Haut-Brion and Clinet.

Nic
I think given what's going on at Carmes Haut Brion, you'll be glad you locked in the prices now.

This sounds extreme, but to me, its something that will eventually be considered more in the LMHB category, as time goes on. It's one of the few wines that I'm thinking I should be affirmatively, proactively seeking out without discrimination.

I'm less bullish on other stuff.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AKR wrote:
Nicklasss wrote:Even with the high prices here, i bought a few Cantemerle, Grand Mayne, Giscours, Carmes Haut-Brion and Clinet.

Nic
I think given what's going on at Carmes Haut Brion, you'll be glad you locked in the prices now.

This sounds extreme, but to me, its something that will eventually be considered more in the LMHB category, as time goes on. It's one of the few wines that I'm thinking I should be affirmatively, proactively seeking out without discrimination.

I'm less bullish on other stuff.
Wow Arv,

That's a very bold statement wrt LCHB... I hope you are right. Carmes has high percentage of Cab Franc and wondering how that would fare in the coming years...

I was not planning to get 2015, but finally I broke down and got the following...

2 bottles of Giscours
2 bottles of rauzan segla
2 bottles of Les carmes
3 bottles of st christophe (courtesy BWE enablement)
1 bottle of clinet

2 splits of Giscours
2 splits of rauzan segla
2 splits of SHL
2 splits pape clemente
2 splits of Les carmes
2 splits of gazin
2 splits of clos del Oratoire
2 splits of clinet
2 splits of canon la gaffeliere
1 split of figeac
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Chateau Vin,

I miss Pichon Comtesse and Montrose in your list!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ordered just my second lot of 2015 futures-- 6 half bottles of the du Tertre for $19 each. I feel a little guilty but I want more du Tertre in my life.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm not done buying 10's and '11s yet.
And I'm starting to think about buying 2014s this fall.
No futures for me, in spite of all the hype. The '15s can wait.
In fact I may go heavy on '14s on release, and then sit tight until the '15s are at least a few years old.
stefan

Post by stefan »

A case each of 2014 St Innocent Justice, Shea, Temperance Hill, and Momtazi.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The 2015 Rhones are starting to get some buzz about them. I had a Lesec blended CdR level wine the other day that was pretty good.