1986 Pichon Lalande

jckba

1986 Pichon Lalande

Post by jckba »

So I had this btl standing up at the bottom of my Eurocave for the past couple of weeks and swung by Fairway in my way home from my part time Saturday wine gig to pick up 2 prime rib steaks and decided I was in the mood for an aged Bdx and popped the cork on this. Cork was super soft and was able to be extracted in 2 goes after it broke apart two thirds of the way through, but I really think the time is now for me to be investing in a Durand. Onto the wine ...

1986 Pichon Lalande
Opened up and poured into a smaller sized decanter and in about an hour it was in the zone. This gave off an undeniably fragrant nose of blackberry currant, cedar, tobacco, unlit matchstick and earth that lead way to an elegant medium bodied red fruited palate that lingers ever so nicely on the finish. 97 Points

There really is nothing like great old Bdx!
JimHow

Re: 1986 Pichon Lalande

Post by JimHow »

This is one of my favorite Bordeauxs of all time.
AKR

Post by AKR »

My wife used to live by the UWS Fairway, and when I was courting, we used to pop in there for all kinds of goodies. Loved that fish counter.

That was such a great P-L. Very jealous!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ah those 86s! Glad most are coming into their own just in time for our 30th in August. I'll have to pull something nice around that date to make up for being tied up with the Canadian Seniors Golf Association tournament in Montreal on our anniversary date! Maybe the Mouton will make up for it.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1986 Mouton is one of the greatest wines I have ever had.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Is it ready to drink yet? Or, will it improve. I have several lying patiently in storage. Last time I tried this it was a brute, and not ready.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Compte,

I've heard mixed reviews on the Mouton going from Jim's the greatest wine ever to not ready...how long does one wait? I don't want to disappoint the bride with less than perfection after putting up with me for 30 years of marital bliss and away competing on the golf course out of town for the big day!! :mrgreen:
Danny
sdr

Post by sdr »

'86 Pichon-Lalande is great now and for the foreseeable future, open it for Danielle and she will be happy.

'86 Mouton needs another century or two, try it on your 100th anniversary.

Stu
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't think too many people were kicking Jay's 1986 Mouton out of bed at the Thursday night dinner in Sonoma in 2006, still perhaps the most epic finish I have ever experienced, rivaled only by the '89 Lynch ad '90 Margaux.