TN: 98 Bahans Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan]

AKR

TN: 98 Bahans Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan]

Post by AKR »

98 Bahans Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan] purchased EP, popped and poured, and then lightly chilled with a freezer sleeve. with a ribeye steak, mac & cheese, and corn souffle -- a sprig of parsley counted as vegetables. no sediment, very clear despite not being stood up to let the particulates settle; just pulled on an impulse from the shelf. color has turned a dark garnet with no lightening at the edges -- continues to flesh out over 3 hours and gain interest. Medium bodied, yet long slow moving legs. The nose shows smoke, and garden earth, some wet patio slate too. Great bouquet really. On the palate its a long 30 second finish, medium bodied, balanced between all the elements, with nearly fully resolved tannins on a curranty/cherry frame. In some sense, we thought a younger tannic wine might have better with fatty rib eyes, but this was still terrific. These second wines are terrible -- almost anti -- QPR, but this was objectively a lovely wine. It was my last, final, only bottle of B-H-B but I'm glad it was so good. A- quality. The SO loved it too.
AlexR

Re: TN: 98 Bahans Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan]

Post by AlexR »

Ah, 2nd wines... In fact, there are some wonderful wines - and wonderful deals - out there, and the wines have the added advantage of showing well sooner than the grand vin.

But I know that many are constitutionally opposed to them.

Still, this shows that there are some nice surprises to be found.
I'm not sure that Haut Brion's second wine represents such good value for money these days...

Of course, they renamed it: Le Clarence.
Which is also the name of Haut Brion's new restaurant in Paris, which I long to go to: http://www.le-clarence.paris/

Best regards,
Alex R.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I agree totally with your review Arv. Jim H gave mixed reviews years back but I'm sure that was his attempt to drink it too young. This has fleshed out into a classic Pessac with tobacco/leather and yes maturing earthy notes. Last bottle I had was a few months back and it was in a sweet spot. Sadly like yourself I'm down to my last bottle and must say most of the six pack were drank tooooo young and well before prime time. Thanks for the notes.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very good memory Danny!
That was many years ago.
I was going to comment on that but didn't want to dampen Arv's enthusiasm.
I remember having it once when it was very young and thought it was a supermarket level wine.
I seem to remember Jacques having it as well, I think he liked it.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think it will still keep for years, btw. I used to always compare B-H-B to La Tour Haut Brion and Carmes Haut Brion, nearby neighbors in both location and price, and always felt LTHB* and CHB were both better wines (albeit different) and better values, so over time stopped buying the deuxieme, especially as the price went crazy. So that was the last bottle, and its always bittersweet to drink that final one, when one knows it makes no sense to replace.

Those 98 Graves were all really good/great, and I thought never got the regard they deserved as they developed so well over the years. I have very few, if any left.

* LTHB is now gone of course, and her grapes are found in La Mission. Financial Engineering Bordelaise Style!

PS: I remember having a young BHB with jal a very long time ago. Was it the 95 or 98?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

As we all know Bordeaux is always getting better (I'm in favor of adding an "11" to the 100-pt scale) and especially the great growths and especially the toppest great growths--notwithstanding that not a few of them have lately incorporated unclassified or lower-classified acreage into their production . How can that possibly be? Wasn't it the thing about these chateau that they happened to sit atop unique terroir that was exclusive, exhaustive and irreplicable? (if it does not fit you must acquit!). Is it alchemy? Or is it something more base?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

i'm guessing it is something more base.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some cunning MBA marketing guys must have visited Jack Daniels, and taught them maximize the value of a premium, power brand. There is now about 19x volume of their Tennessee whiskey being made today, compared to a mere generation ago. And you can get JD barbeque sauces and Lynchburg lemonades and what not.

And that's all BATF appellation controlled (or the US equivalent too).

All the more reason to hunt around for the non economically savvy, artisanal estates. C-H-B was that way for a long time. It was bizarre - they would make a meager 2000 cases, yet be a member of the UGC, and go touring around the world, and didn't even seem to have any other brands. That has changed now, and the wine/price/quality will all be better/higher/more so.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Yes, indeed Arv.
The challenge is to know aobut the little-known, up-and-coming wines, and to find them in a store near you...
Sharing on the Internet makes this easier.
AR
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
The challenge is to know aobut the little-known, up-and-coming wines, and to find them in a store near you.
>>

The problem is you buy, you try, you like, you return for more, but it is all gone and no longer obtainable.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Yes, you have a point Stefan.

Furthermore, like in many wine régions, you can come across a killer wine, but the next vintage along - even if you can find it - has suddenly shot up in price or, worse still, is disappointing after the year you liked so much...

The consolation is that the problem is much worse in Burgundy.

I suppose that it the price to pay for non-standardized, non-industrial products.

Do we prefer the current reality, as frustrating as it is, to a wines that are readily available, all the time, like toothpaste, and aways tastes then same?

Alex
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

The '01 bahans was incredible....maybe my favorite '01 Bordeaux