Nice dinner with two Bordeaux and bubbles

Nicklasss

Nice dinner with two Bordeaux and bubbles

Post by Nicklasss »

My friend Jean-Frédéric came last night for dinner, with all the little family. We had a very nice warm evening, and all wines showed well.

The Bollinger rosé had a nice old rose salmon color. Very nice visually. Nose is creamy, yeast, strawbwerries, minerals, more red berries, bread crust. In mouth, intense and balanced, with the nice flowery bread crust attack, chalky minerals, and a long fruity strawberries rasberries aftertaste. Tn: 92. Of 3 bottles I bought, that last one was my favorite. Went well with baguette with goat cheese, butter, roasted pistachios, honey and black pepper.

The 2014 Chevalier d'Armajan is a nice white Graves. Made of 60% semillon and sauvignon, it is better than the 2014 Chateau Graville-Lacoste. By no mean a great wine, but very white Bordeaux with semillon, by it flowery, almond, honey notes. A medium mouth, medium acidity, some light citrusy tones, very good. Tn: 86-87.

The 2003 Chateau Sociando Mallet was great last night. Slightly cooled down to turn off a bit the 2003 character, this was a very nice Médoc. Roasted oak, blackcurrants, plums, black cherries, nose was fragrant. The mouth was dense, complex, with coal, blackberries and cherries, vanilla, oak. Good finish with very ripe tanins. A nice showing. Tn : 91.

The 2008 Le Carré, from Château Teyssier, bought in May 2015 at the property, was also a very niçe wine. Dense, rich, creamy nose of rasberries, minerals, light meat, flowers, more darkberries and cinnamon. In mouth, mellowed, complex, low acidity and tannins feeling, but velvety, coating, but stay with some elegançe. Flavors of rasberries, jam of blackberries, some flowers, minerals, long, silky. Also a light touch of dark chocolate, with more berries on the final. Modern, a different type of Bordeaux, but blossoming in mouth in a good way. With more air, some meaty and more mineral tones. Excellent. Tn: 92.

Both wines went well with marinated pork chops, with a blackbean-corn-green pepper salsa.

To finish, the half bottle of 2009 Chateau la Tour Blanche was very good. Not the most thick, but complex nose and mouth of lemon, roasted botritys, flowers, and light apricots. Not too sweet, very young, good acids, I guess this will be better in 10 years, but doesn't seem a wine for 50 years. Very good anyway now, and the price was not silly at all. Tn: 90.

A very good evening.

Nic
JimHow

Re: Nice dinner with two Bordeaux and bubbles

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like I need to crack open my case of 2003 Sociando Mallet?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I was thinking that too. It's in a very awkward place (physically), which has contributed disproportionately to its survival.

=======

I think I've had maybe a dozen random 2014 whites from France, and in general they've all been very good. I know generalizations are tricky, but I feel ok buying random 2014 French whites currently. Ordered a Guigal CdR yest too. Big, aromatic white Rhones are growing on me.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Jim and Arv, the 2003 Sociando is ready for prime time. It will improve/hold for a while, but I think you both like your wines younger than me, and I have no qualms cracking one right now (I also have 25 bottles left still after drinking a case over the last 5-6 years).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok, it sounds like the time has come!
How about my case of 2000 SM?
RDD

Post by RDD »

AKR wrote:I was thinking that too. It's in a very awkward place (physically), which has contributed disproportionately to its survival.

=======
I have some 1998 La Fleur-Pétrus like that. Hard to get to.