An alluring old school St-Emilion

Comte Flaneur

An alluring old school St-Emilion

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ch. Soutard 2012, the sort of wine that Blanquito would love...really old school but well made St-Emilion. From the supermarket in Carpentras a week ago. 30 euros, well worth it. And drinking really well already.

Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: An alluring old school St-Emilion

Post by JimHow »

2012 right bank, baby!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I've had the 98 and 00 Soutard and they were both excellent wines and quite conventional. I believe Parker had some kind of animosity towards this chateau's produce or its owner and I'm not sure what it was about. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Relatedly, didn't Soutard and the tits chateau (name escapes) merge recently? I remember reading about it and hoping they'd keep the latter's label.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The old ones were very traditional - as in stem vinification - and lasted a long time.

I have not bought recent ones, where supposedly ownership changed, as did the style.

It is not widely prevalent stateside. I would like to try some recent ones, but the older ones, made in different ways took a long time to come around, and were very unfriendly before that.

Nice picture, surprised the new owners didn't change the label, embossing etc.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sounds like my kind of Merlot. Not sure I've ever had a Soutard, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Hmm. Maybe it's the 1995 and not the 1998 Soutard I've had, in addition to the 2000. Regardless I've liked whichever of the two vintages I've had very much. And for sure all the '95 RBs I've had have been super.