Alsace, several Bordeaux, and a Rayas CDP

AlexR

Alsace, several Bordeaux, and a Rayas CDP

Post by AlexR »

2013 Ch. La Grâce Fonrazade, AOC Bordeaux, Sauvignon Gris
This wine wine is made in Saint-Emilion from vines in Castillon. The château label had all but disappeared when the estate was resuscitated by a young couple who built a beautiful modern cellar and are doing good work. This special wine (100% Sauvigon Gris) comes in a special bottle. It was barrel aged and, other than its rarity, stood out for two reasons: a darkish golden color that had nothing to do with oxidation and an unusual flavor with aniseed nuances. A conversation piece as well as a very good wine (aperitif).

2013 Clos Windsbuhl, Riesling, Domaine Zind Humbrecht (organic) – We had this with crab salad. I know far too little about Alsace except that my favorite grape varieties are Riesling and Sylvaner and that I keep telling myself that I should drink the wines more often! This wine (a gift) is from one of the leading producers. It had a wonderfully complex nose, perhaps more floral than fruity, and a clean, relatively acidic aftertaste. The wine’s austerity was not a drawback with food and the consensus was that it needs years to show its best.
2009 Certan, Pomerol (2nd wine of Vieux Château Certan) – I bought this wine for twenty-something euros and served it my guests blind to make a point: that second wines can be damned good. Although still too young and, unsurprisingly, less long than the grand vin, this had a wonderful soft voluptuousness and a fine fresh fruitiness. I have 3 more bottles and am very glad of the purchase.
2000 Ch. Haut-Corbin, St. Emilion Grand Cru Classé – Would those of you who have tasted all the grands crus classes of Saint-Emiloin, every single one, please raise your hand. I certainly haven’t! Haut-Corbin is owned by the same people who own Cantemerle in the Médoc (a mutual insurance company with then unsexy name of Mutuelles du Bâtiment et des Travaux Publics). This wine, also served blind, was immediately recognized as a Right Bank Bordeaux. It had a lovely complex nose and was rich and powerful on the palate. I felt the wine was still a little too young, but my guests felt that a certain dryness on the aftertaste meant that it should be consumed sooner rather than later to take advantage of the fruit. In any event, I would like to get to know Haut-Corbin better.
1998 Ch. Rayas, Châteuneuf-du-Pape: One of the darling wines, usually served by people who have much more money than me . I bought this years ago for a fraction of what it cost today. I also served it blind and it was, of all things, mistaken for a Bordeaux! Anyway, this Rayas was a great pleasure. The color was not very deep but, like Burgundy, that can be very misleading, as it was here. The nose was gorgeous and the wine tasted almost sweet, but without being confected or overalcoholic. There was an amazing balance between power and delicacy as well as a mentholated quality. This was the antithesis of the hot clunky CDPs one encounters, and can still profit from further ageing.

2001 Ch. d’Arche: This cru classé is often considered in the “dependable, but not exciting category” and this is mostly what it proved to be. The hallmarks of a good Sautenes were there, but with neither the richness nor the botrytized fruit one would hope for in this great vintage.

Alex R.
stefan

Re: Alsace, several Bordeaux, and a Rayas CDP

Post by stefan »

"Dependable, but not exciting" is a good description of d'Ache, in my experience.

I certainly have not tasted all the St Emilion Grand Crus, but Haut-Corbin is one Lucie and I have enjoyed on numerous occasions. I would expect the 2000 to be fully mature.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've had the 98 H-C a few times. But that was a long time ago, probably around release.

I've never even seen a Rayas. They go for crazy money stateside.
jckba

Post by jckba »

It also seems that 2nd wines go for less in France. Alex said he purchased the 2009 Gravette de Certain for twenty something Euro's while stateside, I purchased a case of the 2010 for $41.97/per on the final day of one of Crush's progressive sales but otherwise this is typically goes for $50+/per btl in a better vintage.

I also noticed the same kind of difference with the 2010 Pavillon de Poyferre when I found it for 22€ in a Leclerc supermarche back when I was in France in August/September of 2014 and when I got back stateside I checked the price and it was $40+/per btl pretty much everywhere.