Blind Tasting Humbling

dstgolf

Blind Tasting Humbling

Post by dstgolf »

There is something to be said about blind tastings ....or not.

Last night I was invited to a friends for dinner and blind tasting with his wine group consisting of mainly doctors and lawyers whom on introduction were proud that they had been meetting for 30-35 yrs. I thought that I was maybe a little out of my element not usually fond of blind tasting.

We started with a 2005 German Reisling Kabinet ??? that was paired with grilled lamb chops with a very mild curry sauce which paired nicely but I wonder if it through our tastebuds off for the post dinner tasting.

We were told two countries and served up 6 blind youthful looking reds. Most of the guys had their own tasting glasses and I was provided a set from my friend. Two of the glasses smelled so putrid that I thought the wines were off but when smelled my friends glasses it was obvious the off putting odours were from dirty glassware...big problem. New glasses brought a new light on the tasting. Wine 5 was corked in many of our minds and there is no doubt in mine it was badly corked however 3 of the 8 around the table strongly disagreed. Eventually once the wine was revealled and I've had several bottles I was certain that the wine was corked.

Wines had all been decanted 2 hours prior and all were inky purple with no visual signs of age. Asked how old...I said young and not older than 10yrs. Youngest was 8 and oldest 11yrs.

Wines all showed well on the nose with several showing candied cherries and plummy notes that I thought was merlot based.

Each wine showed hard mouth puckering tannins which made me think more youthful wines and through me off where these were from. Reminded me of Madiran and the Tannat grape??? Definitely old world in my mind but couldn't believe many were thinking Australian,Californian,Chilean...I couldn't believe what I was hearing...these guys prided themselves as knowledgable wine lovers...boy were they wrong. They weren't even close.

Once cheese course came in these wines all transformed noticeably. The tannins softened and the mouth became much more rounded. I'm convinced the curry had tainted our tastebuds big time and universally evryone noticed a tremendous change.

As it turned out I was surprised with the reveal with 3 St Emillion and 3 Spanish wines. At least I got the countries and the right bank wines correct the closest of anyone. I must say that there was not one wine that I truly enjoyed and sure still if it was the wine or what we ate before the tasting.

2005 Bellefont Bercier. Fearce tannins and certainly nowhere near ready. Merlot forward with tannins overpowering fruit. Never had this chateau and based on this not one that I'll look for.

2005 Clos des Jacobins. Again tannins on overdive but wine corked so can't really assess.

2008 Troplong Mondot Tannin driven at this point but ample dark plummy fruit with modern styl that doesn't ring Bordeaux for me. Not my style and I'm not sure Jim could even cut through this one.

2004 Alion. One that I thought should show much better with softer tannins by now. Well crafted but way too young.

2005 Aalto Ribero wine that was inky black,modern styled and big mouthfeel but again tannins dominated and gave little pleasure.

Can't remember wine 8.

Lessons from this:

1. Blind tastings tend to be a disaster and embarrassing.

2. Food served around the tasting can hugely and negatively impact good intentions.

3. Dirty glassware can ruin a good bottle.

4. Corked wines are a plague. Until the individual producers are hit with the cost there is little incentive for them to change. This problem is not getting better and what a huge disappointment when you've invested time and $$ only to pop a corked bottle. These should come with a money back gaurantee!!

5. It doesn't matter how much experience you think you have blind tasting are humbling and picks out the knowledgeable from the blowhards!!

An interesting lesson in humility!! :mrgreen:
Danny
DavidG

Re: Blind Tasting Humbling

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like you did pretty well, Danny, even if it wasn't enjoyable.

I usually perform spectacularly poorly at blind tastings, though I've had an occasional A-HA! moment.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

There is always an upside. Company was great! Lots of laughs and food was excellant even if it likely negatively impacted the wines presented during the tasting. Lowest rated wine was 94pts and not one of them was approachable even with up to 12 yrs of age and 4 hrs post decanting. Couldn't have guessed it with experiencing it myself. I felt badly for the host because you put these events on to highlight some superb wines from your cellar and he based his selection on region /Parker points along with his belief that 8-12 yrs of cellar time should be reasonable to start seeing some promise from some highly touted wines.superb. He/we were all shocked at how truly poorly every wine showed. I was brought in because of my love of Bordeaux and Eddie new that I also loved Spanish wines for their great QPR. He thought it would be an easy slam dunk to identify the wines and impress everyone with a great tasting. I know what I like and usually I can tolerate most young Bordeaux(not like Jim H) but both the Troplong and B-Bercier were not my cup of tea with tannins way over powering everything. Sad part is everyone around the table were only further turned off by Bordeaux all saying that it was too expensive,had to wait too long and terrible QPR. I couldn't justify my pashion to 7 non believers with the wines presented and the high scores that they garnered. Better luck next time and some time in the future maybe I can bring them over to the dark side!!!
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like you had a good time after all.

I bet you could put together a tasting that would show them the heights Bordeaux is capable of. Whether it would change their minds about the cost and patience required...???
AKR

Post by AKR »

Corked wines suck.

We are visiting Sonoma for the weekend and had a Russian River pinot that was corked....from the estate pouring the wines. Two glasses, separate bottles, one was terribly corked, and if you know me, I'm not very TCA sensitive. The guy pouring wasn't checking anything, just repeating his canned speech. But it was a good example where one could very clearly see the difference between tainted wine, and healthy wine. My SO had instantly picked up on it, and said something is wrong. And when I compared to mine, which had been poured from a new bottle, it was very apparent. Most of the time, I don't get clear contrasts like that.

So that was instructive. I actually quite liked the RRV, but will keep the name quiet.

======

Blind tasting is hard, but I think everyone learns more from it. And even if its surprising, or embarrassing, there is still plenty to be knowledge to be gained from it. I learned a lot from that when I was young, in a group that really encouraged that.

It sounds like those Spanish wines were are in the extreme new wave camp, moderniste etc. I've enjoyed those producers in the past, but they aren't particularly "Spanish" if one has some typicite in mind. The traditional producers don't get the flashy scores, but I think make serviceable, flexible wines since most of the time the objective isn't to make a syrup that wins a blind tasting contest (but OMG - try pretty much any vintage of Aalto PS!) but to make wine that is enjoyable to drink beyond the first sip.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

AKR, if you SO got the last glass from a corked bottle, think about those poor folks who got the rest of the bottle and did not know any better!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

AKR,

Your right on the money about typicity but not just for the Spanish also the Bordeaux. Clos des Jacobins even though corked is a very modern style production and along with Trolong Mondot these would never be my first choices to try and hi light the region. I've never got the thrill that some get from TM and CdJ a garagiste wine shows no Bordeaux character. I know nothing about the Bellefont-Belcier but it was the closest to Bordeaux and put me on the right trail in the tasting. The Aalto I've never had before but it reminded me of one of the Priorats on roids. The Alion I have had many times and have enjoyed it but again a modern style and this 2004 did not show well. The third Spanish wine again a modernist version Pintia from the producers of Vega Sicilia but wasn't showing much. I agree if you want someone to ID a wine from a region it must show some typical features rather than Californiaesc concoctions.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think the old Clos des Jacobins were not jacked out, I seem to vaguely remember 82 and 89 being normal efforts. I hardly ever see it though. Maybe things changed there. I've not had a young one, or a recent vintage, nor any CdJ in a long time though, perhaps a decade. I'm not sure who I would pick as the prototypical St Emilion though.

One time we did a Spanish event, I think it was Rioja oriented, and the first segment was the old school producers, and the second half of the dinner was the new wave, university trained winemakers. This was a long time ago, and I remember in that kind of setting, liking the second type. Now years later, between preferences mildly changing, and consumption being more often with supper, the former is what I'd rather have.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

The problem was that the was no '01, '02 or '04 Bordeaux preset :)