Leoville-Lascases 2004

Comte Flaneur

Leoville-Lascases 2004

Post by Comte Flaneur »

This is a wine we drank for MEK's birthday.

Before the we had two cracking wines:

Pol Roger 2004 - fabulous stuff with brioche notes

Maison Roche De Belene Meursault Genevrieres 2010 - complex, powerful and full bodied

Leoville-Lascases 2004

Pristine bottle and cork. Fine pure crimson robe. Cocooned. Not really showing anything on the nose. Even after two hours the nose was dumb and inexpressive. On the palate it is smooth, refined and medium-bodied. It has hints of brooding dark fruits, violets, rock and graphite, with a suggestion of camphor. The emphasis is on refinement and finesse rather than power and density you find in more lauded vintages like 2005. This is a wine which showed well 8-10 years ago but is now completely shut down, like Chateau Latour from the same vintage. It is less dense but more elegant than the Latour. I would be happy to own this but would not touch another bottle for at least five years, probably ten. 

N.B. blog (below) updated until end-2015, a remarkable year of wine drinking.
stefan

Re: Leoville-Lascases 2004

Post by stefan »

Ian, ten years ago would you have guessed that now the '03s and '02s are better for current drinking than the '04s?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

No stefan. I guess the biggest surprise is how the 2003s need to be drunk now. Apparently one of the best vintages of Latour for current drinking is the 2003.

Re 2004 the LLC is the third wine I have found to be pretty shut down. Another of course is Latour which we tried on tour last year. And another is Mouton, which Alex kindly served us at Easter this year.

Leoville Barton otoh is lovely now. Likewise the Pichons.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Comte Flaneur wrote:No stefan. I guess the biggest surprise is how the 2003s need to be drunk now.
How broad is this recommendation? I have a few 2003s and mostly have been holding off.
Pontet Canet has emerged from a dumb stage but I'm hoping for more complexity and development with more years in the cellar.
Branaire Ducru seems young and tannic - way too early as of 6 mos ago.
I have yet to open Calon Segur, Cos or Pichon Lalande, based on my experience with the above. Am I at risk of letting them go over the hill? I only have a few bottles of each so would rather not open one ITNOs. Any experience with these?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I have two bottles left, and will wait a bit, like you recommended Comte.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I think many 2003 are good now, but from what I've tried, the better wines aren't going downhill anytime soon. The real question I think is if they will develop more nuance in yet next 5-10 years. I'm not sure they will.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Thanks Ian will follow advice and refrain as I only got 4 bottles of this one.
May be tempted to try some 2003s but I assume one should not touch Montrose.
AKR

Post by AKR »

DavidG wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:No stefan. I guess the biggest surprise is how the 2003s need to be drunk now.
How broad is this recommendation? I have a few 2003s and mostly have been holding off.
Pontet Canet has emerged from a dumb stage but I'm hoping for more complexity and development with more years in the cellar.
Branaire Ducru seems young and tannic - way too early as of 6 mos ago.
I have yet to open Calon Segur, Cos or Pichon Lalande, based on my experience with the above. Am I at risk of letting them go over the hill? I only have a few bottles of each so would rather not open one ITNOs. Any experience with these?
The 03 Branaire (from splits) is drinking nicely I think. But maybe mine are a little more advanced than yours. I've kept some of the splits above ground the last few years for ready consumption.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Blanquito wrote:I think many 2003 are good now, but from what I've tried, the better wines aren't going downhill anytime soon. The real question I think is if they will develop more nuance in yet next 5-10 years. I'm not sure they will.
Re-reading this today, it sounds like I feel there's no reason to wait on many/any 2003s, even if they won't fall apart. I'm not sure that that's true- I'm still holding out hope that some of these will improve, like the Sociando (which is very good now, but the best is yet to come). I had a bunch of the 2003 Duhart Milon on release in 2006 when it was one fantastic bottle of wine (and only $28-$30), but when I tried it last year, it was quite mute and unexpressive-- not hard, just mute, nothing like it was, and I think it will blossom again. Or maybe it will prove Jim is right, that Bordeaux is never more delicious than when young!
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have no worry about the 2003s falling apart.

Which 2002 first growth is the most approachable now? I have a reasonable number of '02 firsts and 0 '03 firsts.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

From a reliable source, Mouton is, and some suggesting now the strongest FG in 02, hence a strong claim for wotv.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, but is it a waste to drink one now, Ian?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

stefan - the third link is the most interesting.

I had a bottle of Mouton 02 in 2010 in CT with the man who went by the name of Chasse Spleen - like his guitar playing it was pretty tasty, albeit young of course.

I must admit reading all those reviews I am pretty miffed I don't own any...to the point that I am considering offering to trade some 89 and 96 with Paul from W-P.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

One first growth that is really singing at the moment is Chateau Margaux 1999.

After the disappointment of the Lascases being shut down I opened a Margaux 1999 the following night and boy was it firing on all cylinders. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous, elegant, complex, thrilling, and so open for business.

It may lack the power and density of the 1996 and 2000 but it doesn't get much better.

I am on a roll and last night opened Pichon Lalande 1995 for an old friend. I missed his 50th back in April. My excuse: I was doing a Mouton vertical and then a Conseillante lunch both hosted by Neal Martin.

The 95 Pichon Lalande was also drop dead gorgeous, now beautifully resolved. Best bottle yet.

Tonight: Giacaso Barolo Falletto 2000, white label.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jim brought a bottle of the 2002 Chateau Mouton Rothschild to Charlotte earlier this year, and it was and excellent wine, with a strong Pauillac character (graphite/lead aftertaste). I suggest a minimum of 2 hours of decanting, and drink at low pace.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Love, love the 95 PLL, it's nearly as good as the 96 in my experience
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote:Love, love the 95 PLL, it's nearly as good as the 96 in my experience
+2
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Ian. I don't have any 2002 Mouton, so we'll drink 1999 Margaux tonight to celebrate our anniversary.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Congratulations lucie and stefan!

Please report back. Our bottle was stunning...

Happy Anniversary!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Our 1999 Margaux was singing. The Margauxberries had not yet bloomed, but everything else was going full speed--lovely bouquet, deep taste, leathery finish. It was great with my smoked duck breast.

We began with 2002 Pol Roger Brut, which is an excellent Champagne that we have drunk many times.
finner

Post by finner »

2003 Bordeaux and 2003 Beaujolais could possibly be the worst recommendations that The Bob ever made.