TN: 01 Marsau [Cotes de Francs]

AKR

TN: 01 Marsau [Cotes de Francs]

Post by AKR »

01 Marsau [Cotes de Francs] Picked up recently just to see how other vintages performed, given that 2000 was very good, for a long time, and 2001 was also well regarded for this estate. Good fill, but cork crumbled, and I was forced to deploy straining accouterments -- so double decanted, lightly chilled and served with burgers & grilled corn on the cob. The SO said she didn't want any wine with dinner ... and ended up drinking a third of the bottle. Mostly merlot, still dark core, but bricking on the edges. Not much sediment. Sandalwood, exotic spices on the bouquet, along with cocoa and pencil. It's pleasing, interesting. On the palate the tannins are resolved and although not silky smooth, certainly polite enough. Not enough grip for a steak at this age, but ok for well done burgers (ie most fat rendered out of them). The acidity is balanced and it can be enjoyed by itself or with food. Finish is 30 seconds, and there are menthol, chocolate, and truffley flavors in the mouth. I am impressed with how good vintages of Marsau develop, now having enjoyed 2000 for a decade and a half, and this solitary 2001 at age 15. I will probably order a few 2015's based on these experiences; its a fine medium bodied midweek wine that might surprise if served blind. I think I liked the 2000 better, but I wouldn't count on being able to identify the better if served blind. A cheery B+ for this in my ledger. I think most BWE's would consider this mature, and would not wait longer to enjoy.

PS: I've commented on its older sibling a number of times here http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... 17&p=42772
AlexR

Re: TN: 01 Marsau [Cotes de Francs]

Post by AlexR »

Thanks for sharing, Arv.

Francs is a tiny and little-known appellation.
The wines are sold at ridiculously low prices, so that, when you hit one you like, it is what is called in French "un ordinaire du roi".

I generally consider Francs as early maturing, so it is interesting to see that this Marsau holds up well.

All the best,
Alex