Three Burgundies and a Beaujolais from this week

jal

Three Burgundies and a Beaujolais from this week

Post by jal »

• 2007 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (7/17/2016)
    From my cellar and purchased about six years ago. Nose is very perfumed and jumps straight out with floral notes of violets. Color is lightish red, on the palate the wine is elegant, earthy, vibrant and has good structure and acidity. A long finish and a delicious bottle. (93 pts.)
  • 2002 Domaine de la Vougeraie Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (7/18/2016)
    Nice nose of earth and flowers, bright color, elegant and structured, the wine is focused, balanced and clean. One of the better bottles I've had this year. It did take about half an hour to open up, so I suggest decanting, still, I was surprised it wasn't shut tight. (94 pts.)
  • 2006 Camille Giroud Volnay 1er Cru Taillepieds - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (7/19/2016)
    Good nose of earth and flowers, dark red, quite earthy with some dusty tannins still lurking. Structure is good, and wine has good backbone, having it with snapper was probably not the best idea I had this week. I liked it but there are better Volnays around. (90 pts.)
  • 2011 Jean Foillard Fleurie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (7/20/2016)
    Dark ruby, with nose of cherries. Earthy and chewy with great acidity. A wonderful food wine. A great accompaniment to roast chicken. (90 pts.)
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Re: Three Burgundies and a Beaujolais from this week

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Jal.

I like Foillard's wines. Did you thought that the 2002 Bonnes Mares was ready? Never had that Clos de la Maréchale from Mugnier but think it is available here in more recent vintages. Guess i may go for it as my Bourgognes inventory is very low.

Nic
jal

Re: Three Burgundies and a Beaujolais from this week

Post by jal »

Nic, the Bonnes Mares was, surprisingly enough, ready. I thought it was a mistake to drink it but I was happy to do it. By the way, the winemaker of that wine is Canadian, Pascal Marchand who I think made amazing wines at Domaine de la Vougeraie between 1999 and 2005.
Mugnier produced the Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale monopole starting in 2004, Before that, the wines were produced by Faiveley. I have tried the vintages 2004-2010 and they were all delicious.
Best

Jacques