And your three dream wines are . . .

sdr

And your three dream wines are . . .

Post by sdr »

That is, wines you have never tasted but are the ones you are most eager to try at least once before you relocate to the big tasting room in the sky.

Mine:

#1. 1870 Lafite, but only from a pristine Glamis Castle magnum :o

#2. 2007 DRC Montrachet, multiple bottles available from a local wine shop on sale for *only* $4600

#3. 1961 Latour à Pomerol, also on sale from the same local wine shop for *only* $9995

Stuart
Last edited by sdr on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Re: And your three dream wines are . . .

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chateau Lafite 1953
Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux 1978
Romanee Conti 1959
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1982 Lafleur
1961 Latour
1947 Cheval Blanc
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1811 Yquem
1900 Margaux
1947 Cheval Blanc

All at peak, of course, since we are dreaming.
stefan

Post by stefan »

More realistically:

1969 Romanee Conti (OK, this one is not really realistic; I would settle for La Tache. The '69 DRC Richebourg is one of the highlights of my Burgundy drinking.)
1967 Yquem
1959 Lafite
Last edited by stefan on Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A very tough question to answer. I'm thinking about it and will come back.

But for sure, and I think I already wrote it here, number one would be the wine that Jesus made at the Cana wedding, when He turned all the water in wine.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Implausibly, I got to try the 67 Yquem once. A table next to us at Montrachet was sharing theirs and poured us some. It was as amazing people say.

dream wines I wonder about include

1. any vintage of Le Pin, I've never even seen a bottle!
2. 1990 Beausejour Duffau
3. 1974 Heitz 'Martha's Vineyard'
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Re: Le Pin. I was in Macarthur's way back when and saw 2 unopened cases of the 1982 stacked on the floor away from the main-trafficked aisles. Asked what the price was and was told it had been pre-sold. Was just waiting to be picked up. I had a fleeting thought about hanging around to see who came in to claim it before sanity prevailed.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Being more realistic:

1961 Hermitage La Chapelle Jaboulet
1978 Jayer Cros Parentoux
1959 Chateau Haut Brion

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Bump, to continue sdr quest!

For those who wrote something, is it always the same desires? For me, yes. With comment of musigny 151 on his best ever wine, the fact that i adored the young 2003 Chave Hermitage in 2015, and i love syrah wines from Northern Rhône, the 1961 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle is the #1 wine I would like to try.

For others who did not, can you share with us what is in your heart a bit?

I think it is a good continuity to Jim's what your best wine question, or marcs expensive wine question.

Nic
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

1. 1945 Mouton
2. 1947 Cheval Blanc
3. 1961 Petrus
tim

Post by tim »

1900 Margaux
1947 Cheval Blanc
Any DRC RC
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Arv, I had a bottle of the 74 Martha’s in 2019! It was divine, a top 5 wine experience to be sure. Here’s my note.

1974 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard — 1/16/2019
Incredible showing for this legend. Alive, vibrant, intact, thrilling. Drinking it was like one of those Maxell commercials from the 80's, where the guy is hanging on to his seat with the experience blowing his hair and tie back, it's that intense. There are insane levels of mint and yes, eucalyptus on the nose and palate, to go with sensational fruit and acids. Smelling it actually clears the sinuses. Incredible color still, somehow it is uber minty, almost medicinal, and yet is delicious and tastes like cabernet. The mouthfeel is refined and integrated now and the tannins resolved, but this gives the impression that it could keep forever. A thrilling and exceptional experience. From a bottle purchased in 1979 and only somewhat well treated, according to its generous owner. I'd go even higher on my score if there was just a bit more complexity, but other than that, this a perfect and unique wine. 96-97 pts
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

1959 Lafite
1978 Monfortino Speciale
Any of the great DRC RC with age, 1945 sounds like it might be decent. Bonus if it's with Tim!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

You know, you guys are always talking about 1947 Cheval Blanc. Now I’m getting upset that I didn’t buy that bottle of 1947 Cheval Blanc that was available for sale at $90 in 1976.

Chris Bublitz
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

3 bottles of Jaboulet La Chapelle 1961

Ok one bottle, 1962 La Tache and a 1978 Jayer Cros Parantoux
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know, you guys are always talking about 1947 Cheval Blanc. Now I’m getting upset that I didn’t buy that bottle of 1947 Cheval Blanc that was available for sale at $90 in 1976.
Yeah, I got a bottle of 1961 Ducru for like $175 from Premier Cru, it was pristine, I uncorked it with Eddie and others in Boston, it was amaaaazing.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ummm, Monfortino.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote:Ummm, Monfortino.
I can still taste the incredible sherry esque 1948 at La Festa in January. I hear the 47 Borgogno Riserva is similar. I have one for a 47,52,52s,55,58,58s,61,64 vertical someday post vaccine.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Beware of old Bourgogno purchased in America. A significant percentage maybe approaching half are shot. I have had much better luck with those that stayed in Europe.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Musigny 151 wrote:Beware of old Bourgogno purchased in America. A significant percentage maybe approaching half are shot. I have had much better luck with those that stayed in Europe.
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily almost all of them have come over from Italy just recently. Seems like there has been a lot of cellar selling off over there in the last year or two for some reason.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JoelD wrote:
Musigny 151 wrote:Beware of old Bourgogno purchased in America. A significant percentage maybe approaching half are shot. I have had much better luck with those that stayed in Europe.
Thanks for the heads up. Luckily almost all of them have come over from Italy just recently. Seems like there has been a lot of cellar selling off over there in the last year or two for some reason.
Another bit of trivia about old Borgogno. Original bottles have red caps. The winery has reconditioned a number of old vintages and replaced the red caps with black. Library releases of reconditioned bottles are apparently less likely to be oxidized but also less likely to be faithful to the original. Some discussion of that here: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... &p=2415707
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote:
Another bit of trivia about old Borgogno. Original bottles have red caps. The winery has reconditioned a number of old vintages and replaced the red caps with black. Library releases of reconditioned bottles are apparently less likely to be oxidized but also less likely to be faithful to the original. Some discussion of that here: https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... &p=2415707
Cool experience David. Glad it turned out well for you. I hope my bottle is like that. I had heard it was even lighter colored. I am excited to see but not in a rush.

And interesting mention about the red caps vs black. I just spent a bunch of time looking into this, mostly post purchase and after trying the 64 that was young, insane fill and tough as nails for a bit. But the good news is, all mine are/were red caps. And most if not all, recently from cellars in Italy. So although some of these might not be great, I think I have the best shot possible. I have had both a 58 and 64 within the last 6 months and they have turned out very well.

Here is a write up that a trusted source sent me. And he says he has only personally seen black caps on 1961, 1967, 1974, 1982, 1989 and 1990.

http://www.finewinegeek.com/borgogno
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ken Vastola's website (finewinegeek.com) is a treasure trove of Barolo and Sine Qua Non information. Not a typical combination of passions.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can't think of three dream wines that I haven't had.

1947 Cheval Blanc? 1945 Mouton? 1900 Margaux?
jal

Post by jal »

Henri Jayer Cros Parentoux any good vintage
DRC Le Montrachet any good vintage
Le Pin any good vintage
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:Arv, I had a bottle of the 74 Martha’s in 2019! It was divine, a top 5 wine experience to be sure. Here’s my note.

1974 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard — 1/16/2019
Incredible showing for this legend. Alive, vibrant, intact, thrilling. Drinking it was like one of those Maxell commercials from the 80's, where the guy is hanging on to his seat with the experience blowing his hair and tie back, it's that intense. There are insane levels of mint and yes, eucalyptus on the nose and palate, to go with sensational fruit and acids. Smelling it actually clears the sinuses. Incredible color still, somehow it is uber minty, almost medicinal, and yet is delicious and tastes like cabernet. The mouthfeel is refined and integrated now and the tannins resolved, but this gives the impression that it could keep forever. A thrilling and exceptional experience. From a bottle purchased in 1979 and only somewhat well treated, according to its generous owner. I'd go even higher on my score if there was just a bit more complexity, but other than that, this a perfect and unique wine. 96-97 pts
CabFan poured us a different vineyard from Heitz 74 lineup, which I loved, but others thought was off. If it was not 100%, it was still a stunner.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

If I could afford it...
Pichon Baron 1990
Pichon Baron 2000
Pichon Baron 2010 or 2016

Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmm good choices Dan.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Jim, for me Pichon has always been my first growth. Never afforded the first growth and don't think I will do it now when I potentially could. My dad ordered me the 1993 (weak year) Pichon on a glass in Copenhagen back in the days and it was the most amazing wine I had enjoyed at that time.

Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I still have seven bottles of the 2000 from my case, Dan, it is absolutely stunning.
I'll be happy to save one for you if we ever meet up.
We had the 2010 at the estate at our trip there in 2015, I think it is going to be a legendary wine.
I have one bottle in my cellar.
I've got to get at least a bottle or two of the 2016 in my cellar, I haven't tried it yet.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Dandersson wrote:If I could afford it...
Pichon Baron 1990
Pichon Baron 2000

Best, Dan
I'm a big fan of Pichon Baron Dan, although I have had slightly mixed results with the 1990 recently.

I would throw the 2005 in there, that was a very good wine, and I preferred it at the BWE 20th in March over the 2000
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Pichon Baron tends to perform exceedingly well in blind tastings.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Dan, I’m not sure where you are in MD but the next time the MD/DC BWE crew gets together you should try to join us. I suspect a Pichon Baron is likely to show up.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

JimHow wrote:I still have seven bottles of the 2000 from my case, Dan, it is absolutely stunning.
I'll be happy to save one for you if we ever meet up.
We had the 2010 at the estate at our trip there in 2015, I think it is going to be a legendary wine.
I have one bottle in my cellar.
I've got to get at least a bottle or two of the 2016 in my cellar, I haven't tried it yet.

Jim, Thank you, I had the 2016 at the Chateau in 2019. Amazing wine but very young. I hope that the vaccine will make it possible to start being social again. If possible I will definitely try to attend any BWE that would be in this area.

Best, Dan
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

JoelD wrote:
Dandersson wrote:If I could afford it...
Pichon Baron 1990
Pichon Baron 2000

Best, Dan
I'm a big fan of Pichon Baron Dan, although I have had slightly mixed results with the 1990 recently.

I would throw the 2005 in there, that was a very good wine, and I preferred it at the BWE 20th in March over the 2000
JoelD, I will add the 2005 to the list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Best, Dan
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

DavidG wrote:Dan, I’m not sure where you are in MD but the next time the MD/DC BWE crew gets together you should try to join us. I suspect a Pichon Baron is likely to show up.
I would love to join you guys next time you get together! I am in the MD area close to DC so, once vaccinated I will absolutely try to fit it in. It would be great meeting up with other Bordeaux wine lovers.

Best, Dan
marcs

Post by marcs »

I am a big Pichon Baron fan and happy to bring one to any tasting Dan attends (I have brought several to our DC get-togethers before). The 2000 and/or another vintage if desired.

I have been somewhat disappointed in 2005 and 2016 compared to 2000, but hoping that age fixes that. the 2000 PB is my favorite ever. Although the 2008 (a dark horse) is not as far behind as you would think.

My dream wines might be 1) DRC, 2) really high level expensive Burgundy Grand Cru whites that I can't afford. I feel like with the exception perhaps of DRC great / expensive reds wouldn't be a huge qualitative shift from great red wines I have previously tried. But would love to try a great aged Montrachet that rewrote what I thought whites were capable of. Or a great young one I guess :-).
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

marcs wrote:I am a big Pichon Baron fan and happy to bring one to any tasting Dan attends (I have brought several to our DC get-togethers before). The 2000 and/or another vintage if desired.

I have been somewhat disappointed in 2005 and 2016 compared to 2000, but hoping that age fixes that. the 2000 PB is my favorite ever. Although the 2008 (a dark horse) is not as far behind as you would think.

My dream wines might be 1) DRC, 2) really high level expensive Burgundy Grand Cru whites that I can't afford. I feel like with the exception perhaps of DRC great / expensive reds wouldn't be a huge qualitative shift from great red wines I have previously tried. But would love to try a great aged Montrachet that rewrote what I thought whites were capable of. Or a great young one I guess :-).
Marcus, looking forward to getting together with you in the future! I will add the 2008 to my dream list also.
Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, the 2008 Pichon Baron is a beauty, I bought two bottles each of the Baron and also-stellar 2008 Montrose when they hit the shelves, sadly they are all gone now.