TN: 03 Saint Pierre [St Julien]

AKR

TN: 03 Saint Pierre [St Julien]

Post by AKR »

03 Saint Pierre [St Julien] Over two nights, room temp the first, chilled the second. 13% abv. purchased EP, but I'm not really confident in its provenance. It doesn't have a lot of power, nor depth for a cru classe, in a solid Northern medoc vintage. It's soft initially, without good depth. No tannin, nor acidity, and the fruit is kind of figgy, fennely. For $40, and a decade plus of patience, its an underwhelming weekend wine. Not much sediment, and the color seems more evolved than a teenager ought to be. At least its easy drinking, almost simple and innocuous, which isn't what I was expecting. Whatever oak was there seems to all soaked up now. I don't know if I have more of this (if so probably only a bottle at most) but I would recommend this be drunk up. If one has many bottles, try one sooner rather than later, as perhaps my palate or bottle provenance may not line up with yours. I'm fairly tolerant of the 2003 vintage characteristics - zaftig chubbers the lot of them - but this is one of the few left banks I've disliked. Most of the vintage ire is rightfully cast on the merlot driven wines that didn't have clay soils underneath. At least the 2003 Kirwan was excellent, and perhaps that memory will overshadow this. B- at best. Maybe worse.
AlexR

Re: TN: 03 Saint Pierre [St Julien]

Post by AlexR »

Hi Arv,

I don't know the 2003, but please don't give up on Saint-Pierre. I really like this wine and was very impressed with their 2009.

The house style is upfront ripe, seductive fruit and I generally find it comes around much more quickly than its Neighbors.

Sorry you had bad luck with the 2003.

Alex
William P

Post by William P »

I thought the 2003 SP was below par. I've had many good vintage prior to 2003. I'm glad to hear from Alex that this maybe more of an aberration rather than another wine that has lost its way. As I recall SP was made by the same folks who made Gloria.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I concur, the 03 St. Pierre needs drinking.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Lagrange is another shocker in 2003. I would give it D minus. The sort of wine that maybe defines one end of the spectrum and gives the 2003 vintage a bad reputation.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've had lots of good Saint Pierre's in other years so am not too fussed.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Thank you for the confirming comments I've read lately. I only have two bottles left out of a case so I guess it's time to finish up. For $19/bottle it was a bargain
stefan

Post by stefan »

You guys make be glad that I passed on St Pierre and Lagrange in 2003. These are two that I often buy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2003 was available for like $20 in NH back in the day. I liked it when it was younger, I drank about 9 bottles in its youth, when it was good.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Didn't have this one (though regarding St. P have had and liked the 2000) but at risk of debarment I've enjoyed most of the 2003s I've had including that vile Lagrange. Actually think they're better lately than on release although I would not vouch for longevity.