BWE at the beach: Krug, Montrose, Gruaud, Bouchard Corton

DavidG

BWE at the beach: Krug, Montrose, Gruaud, Bouchard Corton

Post by DavidG »

Found ourselves in Ocean City at the same time Mr. & Mrs. Vino were in Rehoboth, so we decided to get together at my favorite BYO on the beach, Horizons. Corkage had been doubled since our last visit, to all of $10/bottle. I brought a 1996 Krug and a 1989 Montrose.

The 1996 Krug was really singing. Great depth, purity, balance and intensity. Champagne doesn't get much better in my book.

The 1989 Montrose was showing really well. Cassis, red fruits, tobacco, fresh moist earth, full body, great balance, long finish. Still some tannins and a suggestion of more complexity ahead for those patient enough to continue cellaring, but extremely enjoyable now.

I insisted that Jay look at the wine list because no one believes me when I tell them the depth and breadth of the cellar and the prices on older wines that are often below current auction value. According to the manager, Richard, who is into wine and who we always leave a taste for whenever we're in town, the place is owned by an MD-turned-businessman with a real love of wine.

So Jay has a look at the list and orders a 1990 Bouchard Chateau de Beaune Le Corton. I'm not the biggest fan of Burgs but this was drinking very well and Peggy really loved it, but warned me we didn't need any more wine in the house.

When the manager came over to open and decant the Corton (btw the service is fabulous, as is the glassware), I could see that the corkscrew was starting to core out the center of the cork. I had my Durand handy and was able to show Richard how it could handle even the diciest corks. We got to talking about the list and he mentioned that the owner was at the table right behind us. I asked for another stem and brought him a taste of the Montrose, thanking him for maintaining such a great cellar and such affordable prices and corkage. We had a few pleasant words, he introduced me to his wife, and we each returned to our meals.

About 20 minutes later, Richard returns with a bottle of 1995 Gruaud Larose, another decanter, and glasses for all 6 of us, courtesy of the good Doctor. The wine is excellent, with cassis and berries, nice depth, and many years left as the acid and tannin are there to balance the fruit. Nice earthiness but not the type of funk typical of the '80s Gruauds. Kept getting better with time.

We spent the rest of the evening trading stories about favorite wines, restaurants and people. It was a wonderful evening with great wines and even better company, made all the more special by meeting a new wine buddy.
JimHow

Re: BWE at the beach: Krug, Montrose, Gruaud, Bouchard Corton

Post by JimHow »

Wow! Sounds like a BWE kind of guy.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We wrote down the BWE URL for him and encouraged him to join one of our DC dinners.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great story, David. The owner sounds like a natural for BWE.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great story David with some fabulous wines,company and an all round BWE kind of day at the beach.
Danny
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

A wonderful evening. As usual, David captures the evening perfectly and mrs vino was kindly DD so mr vino slurped down his fair share. All the wines showed extremely well but as it has been quite a while since I've enjoyed aged burgundy, the 90 Corton was a treat. Our new wine pal Dr Berger (Lenny to us) was so generous to send over the 95 GL. Another classic BWE get together. Thanks again David for bringing such great wines!!
Last edited by Jay Winton on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Great experience for the 4 of you. The kind we all like to have. Glad it turned out to be such a nice evening.
jal

Post by jal »

What?? David, you've got to start drinking better Burgs!! Next time we meet, I need to change your perspective ;-)
Great dinner guys, sounds awesome. Generosity is one of the traits of the true wine lover.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice story. Reading that make you wish You could have been there! Never had the 1989 Chateau Montrose. It was widely available at reasonable price early 2000's, but seem not completely gone from the Market!

I remember drinking a 1988 Krug, with François in Paris, at one of his Winedinner. A marvelous wine!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have some bottles of 2005 Bouchard Le Corton in my cellar, I'm guessing they need about another 20 years? I think I'm in the camp that believes that the '89 Montrose is better than the '90.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jacques, I might not know a better Burg if it bit me on the behind. I liked this well enough, but not as much as everyone else at the table. It seemed reasonably priced at I think $115 (Jay correct me if I'm off).

Nic, I've had '88 Krug a number of times and am still cellaring a few bottles. It's another favorite,mane not just because it's our wedding year. I believe '88 Krug is what Corrine Mentzelopoulos served with foie gras canapés on the porch at Ch Margaux during our BWE visit in 2005, so it's got some BWE history.

Jim, I have no clue about the drinking window for a 2005 Bouchard Corton. I couldn't even tell you where the 1990 we drank was in its aging curve.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, David; we drank '88 Krug on Corinne's patio on the top of Chateau Margaux. That was a most enjoyable evening.

>>
It seemed reasonably priced at I think $115
>>

In most jurisdictions you would be arrested for theft for "buying" it at $115.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Bouchard usually seems to be among the most reasonably priced Burgs on a consistent basis, no?
sdr

Post by sdr »

The '88 Krug is a masterpiece, one of the greatest champagnes of the late twentieth century. The fact that is has sentimental value for the lucky some of us only adds to its allure.

The '96 Krug is fabulous too, and in several years may reach the heights the '88 has already achieved.

Bouchard, red and white, is consistently good and also has sentimental value from the same BWE France 2005 trip.

Nice stroll down memory lane, David and Jay.

Stuart
stefan

Post by stefan »

We drank 95 Gruaud Larose last night with our daughter T and her husband Judd. It was singing and definitely in its prime. Before that we had a bottle of 1979 Calon Segur. When I went to open the C-S, found that the cork had slipped into the bottle during our flight the day before. I assumed that the bottle was shot, but in fact the taste was fine and the oxidation on the nose was masked by the triple cream cheese we ate. We finished with 2003 St. Pierre, which I liked even if I understand why others hate it because of the burnt taste it has.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

It's amazing how every now and then a bottle that should by all rights be a goner can surprise you.