2001 Haut-Bergey 2006 Croix de Labrie

Rudi Finkler

2001 Haut-Bergey 2006 Croix de Labrie

Post by Rudi Finkler »

2001 Haut-Bergey

Immediately after opening the 2001 Haut-Bergey last night, a delicate scent of marzipan, herbs, spices, and vanilla spreads around the table. On the palate, it offers Morello cherry, blackberry, blueberry, leather, oriental spices, and a nice hint of forest floor, followed by a long, complex, and mineral finish.
The fine grained tannins are well integrated, and there is enough acidity to keep the palate fresh. This is a seductive, perfectly balanced wine with admirable complexity and absolutely no heat at 13% alcohol. A delicious Péssac-Léognan to enjoy over the next decade.

2006 Croix de Labrie

Only a few hundred cases of this 'garage wine', 100% Merlot, are produced per vintage. Nearly as low in acidity as the Haut-Bergey, but even a bit more complex, this medium-bodied, flamboyantly styled Saint-Emilion is wonderfully balanced, with layers of red and black fruits, especially black cherry, tobacco, cedar, a hint of dark chocolate, leather, and well integrated, spicy oak. The long, lush finish is impressive. 13,5% alcohol. Certainly more on the modern side, but nothing is overdone here.

Last edited by Rudi Finkler on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AKR

Re: 2001 Haut-Bergey 2006 Croix de Labrie

Post by AKR »

Very nice. I have long wanted to try a Croix de Labrie, but they are scarce & costly.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Haut Bergey is really good stuff.
Had the $22 2012 Haut Bergey again the other night.
Really, really nice.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Sounds like the 2001 Haut Bergey is rounding out. The first time I had it, say in 2010, I thought it was too acidic and with some bitter tannin. I think a bottle I had a couple of years ago showed some improvement.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I didn't realize Croix de Labrie was a rarity. I've had a few of the 2005.

My last note:

March 12, 2015 - Cellared since release. Perfect fill and cork. Pop and pour, drunk over 4 hours. Dark purple to rim. Dark berries, cedar, soy/umami on the nose. Medium to full body, lush ripe fruit, wood, soy, adequate balancing acidity, tannins mellower than last year, medium to long finish. Modern style, oak is integrating, should continue to improve and drink well for a decade or more. Excellent
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the note, David! I think Croix de Labrie is a 'modern' wine that even lovers of traditional Bordeaux really can enjoy.
I just see that 1999, and 2000 are still available from my favourite online store.