A Great Day of Golf and Wine

Gerry M.

A Great Day of Golf and Wine

Post by Gerry M. »

Michael M and I enjoyed a great day of golf at Bass Rocks GC in Gloucester yesterday with two good friends, one of whom is a member and acted as our host for the day. The weather was perfect and the ocean views were breathtaking. After our round we headed back to our hosts home where he served a delicious 2008 Henriot Champagne Brut Rosé. It was a refreshing kick off to a great evening. For such a young Champagne it was quite open and ready for business.

We sat down outdoors to a great steak dinner where we began with a nostalgic trip back to Australia with a pair of Rosemont Balmoral Syrah's from 1997 and 1998. The 97'' clearly overshadowed the 98' but both have aged gracefully and still have plenty of life left. Then it was on to the next fight of a couple 1989 Bordeaux from opposite ends of the spectrum, a Leoville Las Cases and a La Dominque. Both were excellent bottles with the LLC edging out the La Dominique. Happily I think RP missed the boat on the 89' LLC. It's not an over the top wine but hits all the senses on the nose, great mouth feel and a lingering finish making you pause and think about what you a experiencing. At the current pricing I think it's a bargain as LLC goes. As a conclusion we finished with a 1999 Shafer HSS. It had a tough act to follow but was still very enjoyable but I did not find it to be as expressive as I hoped given the additional time it's had to shed its' baby fat.
dstgolf

Re: A Great Day of Golf and Wine

Post by dstgolf »

Sounds like my kind of perfect day. Great golf,wine and company. Thanks for sharing.
Danny
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I have to agree 100% with Gerry's takeaways. But how is it he missed talking about the 1961 Lynch Bages?!?!?

Michael
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Michael Malinoski wrote:I have to agree 100% with Gerry's takeaways. But how is it he missed talking about the 1961 Lynch Bages?!?!?

Michael
Damn, I'm left speechless as to how I omitted that. That alone made my day complete. This evolved over a period of about 3 hours while we let it linger in our glasses. It improved and opened up over time for the better. Michael is better at descriptors than I am but will say it was still a beautiful wine. I would suspect that this was a well stored solid bottle but do think it's on the backside of its' life.