The $29.00 2002 Calon Segur has been uncorked….

JimHow

The $29.00 2002 Calon Segur has been uncorked….

Post by JimHow »

….From the famous MacArthur's heist.

Great bouquet bursts forward immediately upon uncorking.
Attachments
FullSizeRender-8.jpg
FullSizeRender-8.jpg (122.43 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
JimHow

Re: The $29.00 2002 Calon Segur has been uncorked….

Post by JimHow »

How did we not buy every single bottle of these 2002s that were in stock? Crazy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is why I love the Medoc. Wood, cedar, restraint, lead pencil on the nose, raspberries, cherries, that whole Lafite-Cos-Sociando-Calon thing going on. When you drive up that far north you almost get that edge-of-the-world feel as you cut through the little town of Pauillac and get up the little hill where Cos overlooks Lafite. Been there once. It feels ancient. It almost feels like the outskirts in Russia back when I was a spy in Moscow, Minsk, and Leningrad in 1990 for the US government. And the wine has that feel about it. The bouquet has been splendid from the get go.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Lucky you, at that price! Keep one for me when I visit.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I paid $39 for the 2001 as a future from the very same MacArthurs. Guess it's true that good things come to those who wait.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Premier Cru was probably waiting for those bottles at that price to fulfill some 6 year old pre-arrival at $50.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

The Spy Who Loved Bordeaux
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is just perfect. It is absolutely what I look for in northern Medoc Bordeaux. It has a bit of earthiness to it, but it is that seductive cedar, raspberry, quintessential St. Estephe profile that just knocks me off my feet. And completely 2002 in character. At twenty-nine bucks, that's crazy! 94+ very enthusiastic points.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

An awesome deal on a quintessential Jim How wine. Glad it is everything you expected.

But... what is this? The label says $29.99? What kind of DC shenanigans is this? What if Trump finds out about this...

A Democratic ex-mayor criminal defendant lawyer from Maine comes to DC and gets a <wink, wink> "great deal" on some French wine, says it cost only $29.00, and pictures prove that it cost $29.99? Where did that other $0.99 go? There's something going on here, folks. There's something going on. I'm telling you. You second amendment people, if you turn Crooked Hillary upside down and give her a good shake, I'll bet you'll find where that 99 cents went. It sure didn't turn up on her tax returns!

Now you NY Times liberals, don't get too excited about my comment about turning Crooked Hillary upside down. I banned your lying asses, so you aren't here in person and you can't tell that I'm just joking. I don't reeeally mean turn her upside down - well, maybe just a little upside down. She's so crooked, that might seem right-side up to her, so we'd probably be doing her a favor. Straighten her out a little. If that's even possible, she's so crooked.

But you know, folks, these two, Crooked Hillary and, you know what I call him? Because he's gotten waaaay too many criminals off up there in Maine. I call him Jury-Tampering Jimmy. Because there's no way he could've gotten all those terrorist Somalis off up there in Lewiston without a little jury tampering. No way! Yes, Jury-Tampering Jimmy. Well, Jury-Tampering Jimmy and Crooked Hillary have had their hands in each others' pockets for years. And on each others' thighs. I mean for years! There's something going on there, folks. There's something going on. I'm telling you, the only way, and I mean the oooonly way, that Crooked Hillary could possibly win the State of Maine in November is if she has her Jury-Tampering Jimmy rig the system up there for her. What a pair. Crooked Hillary and Jury-Tampering Jimmy! Am I right? Am I right!?

So as of today, I'm ordering the NSA to start monitoring each and every voter and voting machine in Maine. Because you know when it comes to checking up on Americans to be sure that they're behaving properly, we have the best spooks in the world. I mean the best. And when I tell the NSA to keep tabs on the voters in Maine, by God they're gonna do it! Because we need their help to Make America Great Again!!!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Whenever I see that label I think to myself "here's a song for all you lovers out there"
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, Arv. Wish I'd bought a bunch from our wedding year...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Calon Segur is a really good estate.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I am thinking about opening a 95 soon. Have the tannins calmed own yet?
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

There are mixed notes on 95 and its tannins. I thought Blanquito had it recently?

=====

Johnny Depp, an Parisian American actor known for his work in "21 Jump Street", has always claimed Calon Segur was his favorite wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I found the 1996 Calon Segur significantly better than the '95.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm gonna order 3-4 of the 2015 from MacArthur's for $75. This is one of those wines I'd like to buy a few from each vintage but I'm afraid I'm getting too old.