Two Lovely Margaux from the 1980s

stefan

Two Lovely Margaux from the 1980s

Post by stefan »

Last night we drank with stefanJr & Irena a couple of Margaux I had delivered to their house before I closed my account at WineBid. The first was 1986 La Gurgue. I did not expect much from a $35 bottle from this little known estate, but we were all pleasantly surprised. The Margauxberries were in full bloom and the fruit was dark and powerful. I love older Bordeaux that tastes fresh and has completely resolved tannins. The 1993 Brane-Cantenac had an even more inviting bouquet and a more delicate mouth feel. Classier than the La Gurgue, The B-C brought back memories of B-C from the 1970s that Lucie and I used to drink frequently.
sdr

Re: Two Lovely Margaux from the 1980s

Post by sdr »

Nice notes, Stefan.

Curious - why did you close your account with WineBid?

Stuart
stefan

Post by stefan »

Stuart, I had an agreement with WineBid that they would store my wines for as long as I wanted with no charge. They backed off from this, which was OK with me for future purchases, but WB wanted to apply charges to wines I had purchased prior to my being properly informed (apparently they sent out their usual form email about storing charges, but I did not realize that they intended this for me as several times before I had contacted them about the form email and was told to ignore it). The charges that would be made were very small (less than $10) as the policy would be applied to only a few bottles. I told WB that I did not want to do business with people who did not live up to their agreements and terminated my relationship with them. That's $7-10K/year business they lost.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Sad story, stefan, I understand perfectly, it's their loss.

Stuart
AKR

Post by AKR »

Interesting. It seems like JJB has also come up with a new complex form of storage charges, which I need to figure out and reassess.

Realistically, most of us should just be buying less, probably somewhat less than our consumption if anything.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Stuart, I had an agreement with WineBid that they would store my wines for as long as I wanted with no charge. They backed off from this, which was OK with me for future purchases, but WB wanted to apply charges to wines I had purchased prior to my being properly informed (apparently they sent out their usual form email about storing charges, but I did not realize that they intended this for me as several times before I had contacted them about the form email and was told to ignore it). The charges that would be made were very small (less than $10) as the policy would be applied to only a few bottles. I told WB that I did not want to do business with people who did not live up to their agreements and terminated my relationship with them. That's $7-10K/year business they lost.
I wondered where you had gone, I keep clicking on familiar lots (eg. 1978 La Lagune) expecting to see your user handle there. Sorry to hear about this, silly on their part. I've been winning more lots as a result!