2000 Grand-Puy-Lacoste

JimHow

Re: 2000 Grand-Puy-Lacoste

Post by JimHow »

ditto. In other words, Bill, you are saying that GPL belongs in the mediocre-to-pathetic ranking of Pauillacs. I agree.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

jal wrote:Stefan, are you talking about the mediocrity rankings here? These are wines I do not care for and will never buy again, d"Armailhac, Haut-Batailley, and Clerc Milon so Grand Puy Lacoste is a good comparison.
Bam!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Guys. I get no joy out of this. I wish it were good. Trust me on this one. GPL sucks. It is MASSIVELY overrated. It is Lynch-like. It sucks, big time. I wish I were wrong on this. Like Lynch, it is living on the reputation of one or two vintages. It sucks. It is not a serious wine. It sucks the wad.
AKR

Post by AKR »

jal wrote:Stefan, are you talking about the mediocrity rankings here? These are wines I do not care for and will never buy again, d"Armailhac, Haut-Batailley, and Clerc Milon so Grand Puy Lacoste is a good comparison.
I don't know* how the very recent vintages have been of the aforementioned three, but I always thought those were ok. The main issue wasn't the absolute level of quality in my mind, but the prices. I thought those were solid/attractive wines in the $20-$30 zone depending on vintage. The estate's idea that these are now $50-$70 means that I don't have 'low' interest (like someone who ratchets down prior purchases of six packs to single bottles) but rather that I have zero interest.

GPL is a wine I like, despite all the brickbats thrown its way, but again what I have was accumulated in a different era, not in a time when off vintages are a mere $55. So it too is on my "Like Enough to Keep and Drink but Will Not be Replaced at Current Release Prices".

Just throwing this out there as an idea for those who are not feeling the love for $50 Pauillacs anymore - try Napanook^ or Chappellet. Napa wines made with an ageworthy, Bordelais sensibility with some bottlings sort of at those price points. Production is much smaller, finding them after release is harder, and they're no angels when it comes to pricing either. But think they are excellent.

* by know I mean personally tasted.

^ Dominus' 2nd label
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Arv,

Agree totally. GPL good but not great especially for the money you have to pay now. Shines in some years and has not flourished for the long haul. They have priced themselves now above what I consider reasonable QPR. Like Alex has promoted there are many many Cru Bourgeois and Bordeaux Superior that are doing a better job for far less $$. So for all the bricks thrown GPL's way I'll agree to disagree with Jim and not that I'm a devoted follower of GPL I'll call a spade a spade and the 2000 GPL is currently drinking very well. Even Jim if he was man enough to open his mind even he'd find enjoyment here. Needed to lob one more brick. :mrgreen:
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I take no thrill in describing how overrated GPL is Danny!
I think we need to do a blind tasting at BWE '17 to get to the truth of the matter.

Sincerely,
Jimmy "The Truth" How
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Now you're talking Jim. BWE 2017!....Have you got a date yet or location. Are you still looking at Napa/May?? If so I'll miss this challenge but happy to read about it. :cry:
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great idea Jim, let's put GPL to the test.

You know the wine I consistently prefer to GPL? It's not the 4 other Pauillac that Stefan listed -- I prefer GPL to each of those overall -- it's Sociando Mallet which also happens to be cheaper.

My biggest issue with GPL is it can be stolid. We tasted 8-9 vintages one night in Denver in 2015, and it got boring (though that's partially the nature of verticals). Only the 95 was outstanding. The 2000 showed good weight but came across a bit garish (I thought it just needs more time).
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Stefan, are you talking about the mediocrity rankings here? These are wines I do not care for and will never buy again, d"Armailhac, Haut-Batailley, and Clerc Milon so Grand Puy Lacoste is a good comparison.
>>

So Jacques, Jim, and I agree on lumping them together. But I would not call any of these mediocre. Current prices are too high for the quality IMO. Maybe I should follow Arv's advice and again try Napa Cabs, but, in the past, I have always preferred these four Pauillacs to all but upper tier cabs. Like Patrick, I generally prefer Sociando Mallet to them as well. And, as everyone knows, I much prefer La Lagune, which often is no more expensive than these Pauillacs. However, La Lagune is not a substitute for Pauillac while Sociando Mallet can be.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Not sure where we are going to schedule BWE '17, Danny.
Ed and Lisa can't do April
We have historically scheduled around that April 1st/Final Four weekend.
I think people are going to find doing it any weekend other than that weekend is going to create problems.
We've been through this before.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I/We might host in Denver area, if that helps. Not as nice here April as some places, but mountains are of course nearby and hotels are usually affordable that time of year. If we've enough people, we might hold the Saturday night event where they put on the Fete du Bordeaux events at the Westin.
AKR

Post by AKR »

That's a decent idea. Denver is easy to get to for most people since its a hub.

How difficult is to arrange corkage/BYO in Colorado?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How about a Lynch vs. GPL blind tasting, a battle to see which of the two properties is more overrated.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Corkage is a pain, but with enough lead time, things can be set up. I have 3-4 places for smaller groups (5-20) where accommodations can be made, and folks I know from the local wines scene cound be tapped to help out/participate as well.

I would still vote for SanFran/Napa overall, but again, Denver can be plan B or C for 2017 or in future years.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:How about a Lynch vs. GPL blind tasting, a battle to see which of the two properties is more overrated.
That would be great fun. We'd have to get the vintages right so as not to skew things-- it can't be 89 Lynch vs 03 GPL of course, but 82, 90, 95, 96, 00 are all years were both chateau made "good" wine. I guess my money would be on Lynch head to head in those years.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I would be interested in Denver, as I never been there. But SF is a great place. How is the wine sourcing in Colorado? Older vintages available?

As for the blind tasting, i would choose 2 or 3 vintages, and 3 wines like GPL, LB and another mid-class left bank Pauillac or other AOC (Duhart or Branaire or Clerc or Beychevelle or Lagrange). A 1 vs 1 contest would be less interesting, polarizing too much the tasting. Of course we would need a pretty recent vintage, a 10-20 old, and a vintage in the 80's...

Lastly, i see some similarities between Jimhow/Jal and Trump: they seem to all have more aptitudes than regular people to identify what is mediocre.

:-P

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm up for Denver, never been there.
Whether in 2017 or 2019.
(I really think it is important to stick to DC in alternating years.)
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I can vouch for Denver and Patrick's crew to be gracious hosts. Great place for a convention. Fabulous sports town,entertainment centre,good restaurants,accommodations not that expensive and lots to see nearby for those that want to explore and make it a fun vacation especially for those that have never been. If wine is boring there are a lot of craft beer places coming from the spin-off of all those Coors Lite workers creating start-ups. It would be a fun alternative for sure.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lastly, i see some similarities between Jimhow/Jal and Trump: they seem to all have more aptitudes than regular people to identify what is mediocre.

:-P

Nic
Trying to decide whether this is a compliment or a barb!

Je suis fier d'être un franco-américain !
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wo, JimHow, Jal, and Trump in the same sentence: It's a barb, isn't it.