SF BWE with Jonathan P

SF Ed

SF BWE with Jonathan P

Post by SF Ed »

The SF BWE contingent got together last night for a spectacular tasting worthy of the BWE in honor of Jonathan P being in town from Tokyo. Some of the wines we tasted:

2000 "Y"
1964 Chateau de la Gardine CdP
1964 Le Dominque
1970 Lynch Bages
1978 Palmer
1985 Ducru
2000 Lynch Bages
2000 Cos
2000 Leoville Barton
1961 Giraud

All the wines were sound, and we learned that 2000 BDX is already pretty good and will keep getting better. My WOTN was the 2000 Lynch Bages - I think it will give the 1989 a run for the money and tastes like the 1990 did at a similar point in its evolution.

1978 Palmer and 1985 Ducru were drinking perfectly, great wines that would be even better contemplated on their own rather than a group setting.

And it was great to see Werner and Chris and Peter and Victoria as well as usual suspects like Michael P and Nalan. And of course Jonathan P too!

I'm telling you, hard to beat the BWE!

BD - we need to start setting up BWE 17 soon...

SF Ed
William P

Re: SF BWE with Jonathan P

Post by William P »

Wow Werner and Chris and Peter and Victoria. Just like the old days. Glad it went well.

Bill
AKR

Post by AKR »

Sounds tremendous
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I agree with everything SF Ed said, except my WOTN was the Y. I know I've had it before, but I don't recall the vintage or that it was so complex and interesting, changing with every sip. Wonderful! The 00 Lynch was my red WOTN.

Terrific to see the old core BWE SF crowd again and hope to do it again soon!

Michael-P
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

BWE rocks!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

BWE is the best wine website on the Internet.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

You know, I thought the 96 Lynch Bages was really excellent in DC as well. So, the 96 and 00 don't suck. Too bad about the cost, Lynch pricing has become silly: $215 cheapest for the 2000, $170-180 for the 1996.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

You just have know people with the wine. I have another magnum and a double magnum of 2000 Lynch Bages that have BWE's name on them. Only question is when and where...

SF Ed
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

It was lovely meeting all you guys again, some of whom I have seen for the best part of a decade. Truly memorable wines, as always. Hard to choose any favourites, but The 64 Dominique still very much alive stands out, and what can one say about 00 lynch-Bages, other than it seems to just keep getting better?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey Jonathan, great to hear from you again!
Hope to drink some wine with you in 2017, wherever you may be.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Hi Jim. I have a bit more time on my hands now, so hope to be ale to get over Stateside more often in the future.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

So at the end of the dinner we took a few of the bottles that still had some decent amount of wine in them. That was mostly about 25% each. We stuck the corks back in and put them in our fridge (typically a bit colder than most fridges) when we got home. No Argon etc. Because we were busy, we got to them about 6 days later.

This time, instead of being just "a good nice old wine", the CdP was amazing, with tons of wonderfully clean flavors and complexity with tobacco, leather, raw meat, hints of black and exotic fruits. Definitely one of the better wines I've had this year. As Nalan said, "the aromas and flavors are constantly leaping out of the glass". I'd score it 98.

The other wines we had saved were as expected, with drinkability but a bit less than they showed on the Sat before, although none falling apart. I still can't believe how that 64 CdP was so good despite (or because of it) sitting in a bottle full of cold air for nearly a week.

Thanks to SF Ed for brining that 64 CdP!

Michael-P